Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a mopar short throw shifter a few weeks ago. Now that I can actually drive the car it rattles @ mid to high rpms. The rattle seems to be coming from the collar area near the shift ball. Any idea how to fix the rattle problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I installed a core shifter on mine it was always rattling. At first I thought it was the shift ball but it turned out to be the washers on the bolts at the bottom. I put a spacer on it and hasn't rattled since.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Remove the Handel and shake it to see if it's in the handle or coming from the shifter area..they say the ball on the mopar short throw is screwed on, and screwed on TIGHT!!!... If the rattle is in the ball unscrew it and fill it with clear silicon, actually you may want to do that anyway to absorb any transient noise coming up through the stick...this is of course if the bolts are tight

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From my experience and experimentations with hurst, I've found that the best way to make it as quiet as the stock is to switch the rear bushing with the stock one.
No matter how much dynamat, silicone and etc you use, it'll still have the rattle noise. I have taken my shifter apart like 4 times already.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I only replaced the stick, everything else is bone stock

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I installed a core shifter on mine it was always rattling. At first I thought it was the shift ball but it turned out to be the washers on the bolts at the bottom. I put a spacer on it and hasn't rattled since.
What was the spacer made of? Have any pictures of your setup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
sorry I don't have any pics. I just took a piece of thick leather I had lying around and drilled a hole in it to use it as a washer and the rattle stopped.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im having the same problem with my mopar billet shifter. Did you find a fix ?

Nope. Haven't had the chance to do anything with it yet

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What was the spacer made of? Have any pictures of your setup?
I went with neoprene washers from ace hardware to prevent the stock washers from rattling. The stock shifter has a metal brace that is on the outside of the "pocket" and without that taking up that space the washers on the bolts aren't snug and can ring if there isn't something to take up that space. I'm not sure if there's a brace on the mopar short shifter but I'd add washers if I was doing a core shifter install.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with neoprene washers from ace hardware to prevent the washers from rattling. The stock shifter has a metal brace that is on the outside of the "pocket" and without that taking up that space the washers aren't snug and can ring if there isn't something to take up that space. I'm not sure if there's a brace on the mopar short shifter but I'd add washers if I was doing a core shifter install.

Take it easy
Jay
Yeah i was wondering about that extra brace on the outside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went with neoprene washers from ace hardware to prevent the stock washers from rattling. The stock shifter has a metal brace that is on the outside of the "pocket" and without that taking up that space the washers on the bolts aren't snug and can ring if there isn't something to take up that space. I'm not sure if there's a brace on the mopar short shifter but I'd add washers if I was doing a core shifter install.

Take it easy
Jay
Ah, glad I found this thread as I'm going nuts over this rattle. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey Jay, I just got a core shifter and was wondering how (big/thick) are the washers that you used on yours. Do you have a pic of your set up to eliminate the rattle. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't think they'd have to be very thick since the ringing didn't happen all the time. I can grab the stock shifter and let you know how wide that part is after the storm passes. I just pulled the bolt and bought 4 neoprene washers and first tried it with two of them and found I didn't need the other two but they were only about 35 cents each so I figured I'd eventually run into a project that ended up using the other two washers.

If your challenger is your only car you could loosen the trim piece drive to your hardware store quickly pull out one of the bolts and then get the washers you need.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks. Appreciate the info Jay. By the way, should I use any type of threadlock or the same is not really necessary.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For thread locker I just used the generic thread locker I had on hand from Harbor freight it's still raining but I don't think the shifter brace was any wider than 1/16th of an inch. I'll check in the morning and edit with the value.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks again Jay, really appreciate your input/help. I just want to do this swap one time and do it right. Maybe in the future, if possible get a Barton shifter. For now, this core shifter will serve the purpose.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah a 16th of an inch should be fine even if it's slightly wider that would ok since it'll compress.

Take it easy
jay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts