Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a new shifter knob on my stock 2010 se with everything else stock... What do I need to do and where to search??? Certain size??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check RPM Outlet on the web, they have an adapter that allows you to use a standard shift ball or knob.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm changing mine soon... The top of the shaft is straight and smooth. So I'm threading the shaft and putting a Hurst T - Handle on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm changing mine soon... The top of the shaft is straight and smooth. So I'm threading the shaft and putting a Hurst T - Handle on it.

The top of the shift handle has two flats milled into it, you won't get very good threads. There will also be a grove near the bottom of the shaft that you will see, doesn't look that great IMO.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are talking about a 6 speed you can get the Hurst shaft and ball on E Bay for about $100, real easy to install.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The top of the shift handle has two flats milled into it, you won't get very good threads. There will also be a grove near the bottom of the shaft that you will see, doesn't look that great IMO.
I plan on putting a leather boot on it as while, which would cover that notch. Someone on here, I cant remember who, threaded theirs and said it worked well. They did it for a handle out of an '06 Daytona. I'm going to put a nut under the handle and tight it up towards the handle.. Keeping it snug

·
Registered
118 Posts
i did this, its the core version on the stock shifter, really comfortable

Attachments

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Whiplash

Mine, with keeping the Metallica theme

Attachments

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I plan on putting a leather boot on it as while, which would cover that notch. Someone on here, I cant remember who, threaded theirs and said it worked well. They did it for a handle out of an '06 Daytona. I'm going to put a nut under the handle and tight it up towards the handle.. Keeping it snug
I did that on my 09 SE, though a bit undersized since not banging gears, NEVER had a problem and removed the boot when I traded it in, so have a spare now it did/does look sweet and 3/8-16 thread size means about any knob out there will work, or you could buy the adaptor but this works just a FYI. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did that on my 09 SE, though a bit undersized since not banging gears, NEVER had a problem and removed the boot when I traded it in, so have a spare now it did/does look sweet and 3/8-16 thread size means about any knob out there will work, or you could buy the adaptor but this works just a FYI. :D
So when I thread it, that's the size it will end up being ? (3/8-16) Good deal. Here's the set up I bough this weekend. Hurst 1530020 Universal Brushed Aluminum T-Handle : Amazon.com : Automotive

I figured one of those adapters has to work lol.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Spare boot you say?

Interested at all in parting with that spare boot of yours, Sick?:thinkerg:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
So when I thread it, that's the size it will end up being ? (3/8-16) Good deal. Here's the set up I bough this weekend. Hurst 1530020 Universal Brushed Aluminum T-Handle : Amazon.com : Automotive

I figured one of those adapters has to work lol.
Hard to remember but THINK I may have removed/cut off some of the very top of the stick before threaded, if it has/had a flat spot on top? After that just used a Die to make threads, and the shaft does thin/tapper towards bottom so you end up with a good inch or so of threads, enough to use the knob/lock nut with a bit of locktite.

Reactions: Shank

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Interested at all in parting with that spare boot of yours, Sick?:thinkerg:
Maybe bro, right now it has the bezel painted PCP to replace a bros on his 6-speed, but when I get it switched out I will PM you. Sick'r

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hard to remember but THINK I may have removed/cut off some of the very top of the stick before threaded, if it has/had a flat spot on top? After that just used a Die to make threads, and the shaft does thin/tapper towards bottom so you end up with a good inch or so of threads, enough to use the knob/lock nut with a bit of locktite.
Good deal ! Thanks !

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're talking automatics, you can use that Hurst knob without any modifications to the stock shifter. I can tell you how. But I know Sick'R has a 6-speed manual, so which are we talking?

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you're talking automatics, you can use that Hurst knob without any modifications to the stock shifter. I can tell you how. But I know Sick'R has a 6-speed manual, so which are we talking?

I have the auto. I tried to see what Size thread to use, and all the adapters were too big. So I bought an adapter tonight that allows you to just slide the adapter on and tighten set screws.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What adapter? I found a couple online but they were like $12 plus $6 shipping or something like that.
I got one on eBay for $26+ free shipping. Go there and type in "challenger non-threaded shifter adapter". I seen a couple others online, but this one was a good combo of decent price and decent design.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts