Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2010 Challenger 5.7 auto set to shift WOT at 6800 rpms for my Comp 274 cam, and it shifts 6800 right on the button in every gear except 1st. 1st gear always shifts at 6500 for some reason no matter how many rpms are added via HP Tuners. Do you think I'm leaving too much power on the table by shifting at 6500rpm in 1st, or would it be negligible at the track? Would it be worth constantly fooling with for an extra 300rpm in 1st?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
I suspect your not losing very much at all. Have you had a car on a dyno to see what things look like?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect your not losing very much at all. Have you had a car on a dyno to see what things look like?
Not yet, all I know is it's faster than a new 5.0 Mustang from 0-120, 3 different 5.0's haha. I'll take it to the track soon, probably a dyno next month.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
If the redline is set at 6800RPM, could you try putting the car in manual mode and see if it will shift on it's own in first into the next gear? I can't remember if it will sit there and bang off the rev limiter or if it will just shift automatically if you don't do it yourself. I thought on my wife's old Charger it would still shift at redline even in manual mode. If you miss the shift, it will likely go back into regular mode and shift on its own like in D the rest of the way. Might be a way to trick the car and get around that early shift point from first to second. Or it may hit the rev limiter and not work. Worth a shot though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the redline is set at 6800RPM, could you try putting the car in manual mode and see if it will shift on it's own in first into the next gear? I can't remember if it will sit there and bang off the rev limiter or if it will just shift automatically if you don't do it yourself. I thought on my wife's old Charger it would still shift at redline even in manual mode. If you miss the shift, it will likely go back into regular mode and shift on its own like in D the rest of the way. Might be a way to trick the car and get around that early shift point from first to second. Or it may hit the rev limiter and not work. Worth a shot though.
It shifts at 6500 in 1st gear in both drive and manual mode, 6800 in every other gear. Will shifting in 1st at 6500 instead of 6800 make any difference in my 1/4 mile time?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I see, that's a bummer. Since you have a 2010 I'm assuming you have an A5 transmission. Have you purchased the TranZformer from Zautomotive? I know a lot of A5 guys that swear by those things to adjust transmission shift points and firmness, etc.

It's hard to say if you're losing out or not. Best way to check would be to get a dyno chart of your engine and then determine the shift points and where your engine falls back to after a shift. If you fall outside of your torque curve then you'd probably gain by shifting higher. If you fell at roughly the same area in the torque/hp curve or not much difference, probably not much of a gain.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see, that's a bummer. Since you have a 2010 I'm assuming you have an A5 transmission. Have you purchased the TranZformer from Zautomotive? I know a lot of A5 guys that swear by those things to adjust transmission shift points and firmness, etc.

It's hard to say if you're losing out or not. Best way to check would be to get a dyno chart of your engine and then determine the shift points and where your engine falls back to after a shift. If you fall outside of your torque curve then you'd probably gain by shifting higher. If you fell at roughly the same area in the torque/hp curve or not much difference, probably not much of a gain.
Yeah I have a Tranzformer, does everything but change shift points. I don't even know why they included an option to change shift points when it can't. I'll just let it shift at 6500 in 1st since it's still in the peak powerband as it hits 2nd gear. I'll be putting a barely used HP Tuners kit up for sale soon since my transmission tune is complete, that's all I needed it for. Still has 6 Dodge credits left.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That sucks, should be able to adjust that stuff. I doubt you're losing much with only a 300RPM difference. What does the car run currently? Have you tried short shifting it to see what kind of effect it has on your ET?

I was on the fence about getting HP Tuners a while back when they first came out with A8 trans tuning. I never saw where they had solid gains though, so I held off. Now Diablosport has it available and it's only a $75 upgrade with my current tuner so I'll just give it a shot and see what it does. If it shaves off even .05 off my ET for $75 that's worth it to me. Maybe it'll be good for a tenth who knows.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Tried putting it in Sport mode? That worked with my car. Had it set to shift at 6500 (HP tuners) but first wouldn't get there. Put it in sport and it extends first to roughly 6500, doesn't change the other gears at all. No idea why.

But again you probably aren't losing anything substantial.

Reactions: BEA5T

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. 1st gear really flies up fast and you need a little time for the shift before the tach flies up and hits the limiter or you may go into limp mode. I don't think you are leaving anything on the table and in fact, it's most likely best that it's working this way. I shift at 6400 and I intentionally make my 1-2 shift a little earlier.

Reactions: BEA5T

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried putting it in Sport mode? That worked with my car. Had it set to shift at 6500 (HP tuners) but first wouldn't get there. Put it in sport and it extends first to roughly 6500, doesn't change the other gears at all. No idea why.

But again you probably aren't losing anything substantial.
Mine doesn't have sport mode unfortunately, I think sport mode was 2011+

1 - 11 of 11 Posts