Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys,

New here. Did my search before asking questions but couldn't seem to find one pertaining to R/T (just 392s).

A lot of talk about launching for good 0-60 times but overall; what's the best shifting RPM for a 2014 R/T?

Here is how I have it and correct me if I am wrong:

Launching (subjective to what works best for you. In my case...) = 2,000-2,100rpms slip the clutch out
regulate until traction then WOT
1st gear shift 5,000rpms (to stay within torque pull/peak which is 4,300rpm so I've read)
2nd gear shift at 5,500rpms (to stay within hp peak which is 5,200 so i've read)
the rest? same 5,500rpms

am I doing it right? or should I move a bit more toward the redline?

Thanks for your input,

ER.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hey,
I'm no expert, but I do own a 6M and know how to launch it. First, I have nice wide sticky rear tires. Second, I turn off TCS fully and give just enough gas to not spin the tires. Third, I go right up to red line, but don't let the RPM limiter kick in. You will have to practice. I do this for the first three gears and by the time I shift to 4th, I'm already in felony territory, so I back off.

To be more specific, I probably shift right around 5200+ RPMs. That gives me just enough margin for error without getting screwed by the RPM limiter.

These cars are Q monsters and that 2nd to 3rd gear pull is the best!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, Stevec.

I thought turning traction control off completely was reserved for burnouts? I am sure a good driver can launch it with no traction control as well but wouldn't it be easier with trac ctrl partly enabled (just one press of the button)? Like the Mercedes-Benz AMGs...you have sport ESP then you also have it ESP OFF (burnouts)...

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
To be more specific, I probably shift right around 5200+ RPMs. That gives me just enough margin for error without getting screwed by the RPM limiter.
At what RPM does the rev limiter kick in?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Right around 5500. It happened to me a couple of times while I was still learning my RT, and has done zero damage (it does work as intended).

For the OP: I have no issues launching hard with TCS/EPS off. You asked for the best way to launch and TCS/EPS "full off" is the only way to keep the computer from slowing you down. Trust me, it's not that hard to drive these cars aggressive without the computer.

Practice and practice!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
5,800 RPM. This engine revs so fast it's easy to hit. After a little practice I got pretty good at shifting at 5,700 RPM. This engine could definitely benefit with a higher lift cam. I'm very tempted to put the 392 cam in mine, but I am not quite ready to forgo my lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts

I've got a 2013 6 speed and I read that the rev limiter kicks in at 5400 rpm and that seems to be where mine kicks in, I've hit mine several times, I hate it when it does that you've really got to watch the tach because it rev's so fast and the rev line is so low.
I'm working on getting a OBDII shift light next

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
5,800 RPM. This engine revs so fast it's easy to hit. After a little practice I got pretty good at shifting at 5,700 RPM. This engine could definitely benefit with a higher lift cam. I'm very tempted to put the 392 cam in mine, but I am not quite ready to forgo my lifetime powertrain warranty.

Why is your red line so much higher than mine ?, wish mine would hit 5700 before kicking out, it's a weird feeling when it shuts down the motor but only for a second, the first time I hit the rev limiter it freaked me out :(

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Why is your red line so much higher than mine ?, wish mine would hit 5700 before kicking out, it's a weird feeling when it shuts down the motor but only for a second, the first time I hit the rev limiter it freaked me out :(

It's at 5,800 and I shift at 5,700. Maybe your tach is off? Are you past 3750 miles yet?

·
Registered
477 Posts
My '13 R/T 6 speed limiter is also at 5800. Definitely not at 5400! I'm above 5500 all the time no limiter

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
It's at 5,800 and I shift at 5,700. Maybe your tach is off? Are you past 3750 miles yet?

I'm at 4000 miles, i don't think my tach is off the mileage you're talking about refers to the motor break-in and the MDS system, the MDS system not activating until the car reaches a set number of miles.
The manual 6 speed cars don't have the MDS system .

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm at 4000 miles, i don't think my tach is off the mileage you're talking about refers to the motor break-in and the MDS system, the MDS system not activating until the car reaches a set number of miles.
The manual 6 speed cars don't have the MDS system .

No it's the VVT that doesn't fully kick in until 4800 and change. MDS is full go on autos at mile 1. I hit my rpm limiter on Sunday just after I hit my 500 break in. Been shifting around 4k and slowly increasing on certain situations. Pull out of a lot on Sunday and jumped on it. When I was in second that limiter came very quick and certainly wasnt at 5800 so chances are it is dialed down right now and increases gradually until the VVT is a full go. Btw does anybody have any trouble with the 1st to 2nd shift when getting on it a bit? I can't get a smooth shift on that. Am I giving it too much gas on the exchange or letting off the clutch too slow or too fast? Goes into gear fine but you could get whiplash. I have no issues with and of the other gears. Just my first to second. Even when I'm not jumping on it I have to really pay attention to shift smooth. Probably just need more getting use to

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
No it's the VVT that doesn't fully kick in until 4800 and change. MDS is full go on autos at mile 1. I hit my rpm limiter on Sunday just after I hit my 500 break in. Been shifting around 4k and slowly increasing on certain situations. Pull out of a lot on Sunday and jumped on it. When I was in second that limiter came very quick and certainly wasnt at 5800 so chances are it is dialed down right now and increases gradually until the VVT is a full go. Btw does anybody have any trouble with the 1st to 2nd shift when getting on it a bit? I can't get a smooth shift on that. Am I giving it too much gas on the exchange or letting off the clutch too slow or too fast? Goes into gear fine but you could get whiplash. I have no issues with and of the other gears. Just my first to second. Even when I'm not jumping on it I have to really pay attention to shift smooth. Probably just need more getting use to

The VVT being fully activated on automatics from day 1 but not on the 6 speed manuals doesn't make any sense.
Wether it's the MDS & VVT (on autos) or just the VVT on the manuals the reason they don't let the system fully activate until after a certain number of miles is because they want all the parts to break in evenly and it wouldn't be able to if parts were shutting off & on.
So why would they allow the autos & manuals to break in differently ?, they wouldn't.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The VVT being fully activated on automatics from day 1 but not on the 6 speed manuals doesn't make any sense.
Wether it's the MDS & VVT (on autos) or just the VVT on the manuals the reason they don't let the system fully activate until after a certain number of miles is because they want all the parts to break in evenly and it wouldn't be able to if parts were shutting off & on.
So why would they allow the autos & manuals to break in differently ?, they wouldn't.

VVT and MDS are two different things. MDS is active from the start on automatics. Manuals don't have the MDS. VVT is on both the auto and manual. It fully kicks in later at either 3.7k or 4.7k I forget.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
VVT and MDS are two different things. MDS is active from the start on automatics. Manuals don't have the MDS. VVT is on both the auto and manual. It fully kicks in later at either 3.7k or 4.7k I forget.

Yes = MDS MULTIPLE DISPLACEMENT SYSTEM

VVT= VARIABLE VALVE TIMING

·
Premium Member
148 Posts

Before you said that the autos VVT system were fully active from mile 1 but the manuals weren't
', now you saying both the autos and the manuals are both the same ??
That's why I said what I said !!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes = MDS MULTIPLE DISPLACEMENT SYSTEM

VVT= VARIABLE VALVE TIMING

Yes I know that. I was responding to you question about different break-ins between the M6 and A5. They are the same. Both don't fully engage the VVT until later on. The MDS is fully active from when it leaves the factory but only on A5 because M6 doesn't have MDS. I think we are on the same page but you misread my post. I didn't say the VVT is active from mile one. I said MDS is active from mile 1

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Yes I know that. I was responding to you question about different break-ins between the M6 and A5. They are the same. Both don't fully engage the VVT until later on. The MDS is fully active from when it leaves the factory but only on A5 because M6 doesn't have MDS. I think we are on the same page but you misread my post. I didn't say the VVT is active from mile one. I said MDS is active from mile 1

Yep you did, oops I was at work and shouldn't have been on the forum at that time anyway, see what happens when your trying to read, text and watch your back from the boss at the same time :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts