Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you change gears without using the clutch at all, just some careful gas pedal modulation, which is easy to get used to if you understand basic math and what is happening?

I haven't had any newer cars with manuals, but have had a few Turbo Dodges and older Mopars with A-833 and A523 / A525 manual transmissions.

My most recent one was a 1989 Turbo Spirit ES with a 2.5 Turbo and the 523 gearbox, after the first of 5 years of ownership I used the clutch only to take off from a start or when any sort of performance driving / fast shifting was being done. But for just putt-putting around, no clutch needed. I put 102,000 miles on that car with no gearbox problems at all, and it didn't damage the synchronizers either. I always ran Castrol GTX 10w-30 oil in it, non synthetic.

Are newer transmissions more sensitive about that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've found that it's quite difficult to do this in my Challenger. You can. But you've got to be on your toes as far as revs and what not. I did it quite regularly in the 13 Dart that I had with as far as I know no ill effects. But unless you have to do so for some serious reason. Clutch going out. Broken foot ankle or leg lol. I would just go ahead and use the clutch. No point risking it. Unless you just don't like the car and want to risk messing something up. That's why I did it in the Dart. I didn't care about that car and knew I wouldn't have it that long. The new owner can deal with any problems that may arise due to my laziness with shifting gears.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
175 Posts
I find that shifting without a clutch is hard on my ears, first there is the grinding of the gears then the siren in the passenger seat goes off. And it takes quite a while for it to stop!!

Leave the shifting without a clutch to the folks with automatics. ;-)

Reactions: KennyLives

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why? Why would you even want to shift without the clutch?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
IDK either? Curious though............ :popblood:

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I think I have that same warning alarm in my car...it usually kicks in 1 mph above the posted speed limit. :smokin:
HAHAHA... Now thats a good one!

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
I used to do it on older 4-speed GM transmissions and never had a problem. Would I do it on my Challenger? Not a chance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Speed Shifting is OBSOLETE

It was effective "way back when." Fact is...it won't help nowadays...trust me on this...I've never owned an auto tranny. The modern manuals shift FAST. The PRO DRIVERS NO LONGER SPEED SHIFT. You might blow a gearbox...but you will not be faster. If you are concerned about being fast...get an AUTO. Those auto "lovin" wimps blow our doors off." They laugh at us. But they miss out on all the DRIVING FUN. My M6 SRT is barely faster than an AUTO RT. So what. If REAL SPEED was all important...those "auto lovin" bubba's would be screaming for ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I find with the damn sloppy stock linkage and grinding 2nd and 3rd with high RPM shifts it's hard enough to shift using the clutch from time to time, but that's only when traction control is off.

I've done it in my R/T because I knew it was possible. But no reason to given my shitty stop-n-go commute here in the bay area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts