Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found & purchased my Challenger after my recent fiasco. I called my shipping company that I used the last time but I think the guy is jerking me around b/c he isn't getting back to me. The car is in Iowa and needs to go to Long Island NY. Can anyone recommend to me a shipping company that they are comfortable with? I already got quotes on it so they are similar in price. The car can be shipped open & with others on a bigger rig. Any help is appreciated.

Drive safe!!!

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Many companies are just brokers and give the job to whoever. Unless you use a major carrier that moves with their own trucks, you get what you get. Go to Barnes and noble and find a Hemings motor news magazine and you’ll find many haulers listed. The ones who move classic cars. Reliable is one carrier but not sure what price you’re expecting.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
Where in Iowa is this car? If you don't mind a private shipper, I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Hopefully near I-80.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where in Iowa is this car? If you don't mind a private shipper, I'll see what I can do.
Its in Sioux City.

Many companies are just brokers and give the job to whoever. Unless you use a major carrier that moves with their own trucks, you get what you get. Go to Barnes and noble and find a Hemings motor news magazine and you’ll find many haulers listed. The ones who move classic cars. Reliable is one carrier but not sure what price you’re expecting.
Yes, I understand that. The last place I used was a carrier & not a broker. Giving them 24hrs till I look for someone else.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
Its in Sioux City.
OK.........I'm in Waterloo. If your interested, I can find out if this is possible n get you a quote. I work with a guy who transports cars and has both an enclosed trailer and an open one.

What time-frame are you looking at?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Check and see who Barrett-Jackson uses. I think it’s Reliable Carriers. I’ve seen one of their carriers in person and if the quality of transport is anything like the tractor-trailer I saw, your car would be delivered in perfect shape.

Reactions: 20BLASTOFF10

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
277 Posts
Not that you have the time, but just fly out and drive it home. I have bought cars remote many times, including my first '10 R/T, and my current one. I flew to Cleveland, OH (in December) for the '10 and drove it back to Dallas. The one I have now I picked up (in February) in Augusta, GA.

The benefits:
  • You get to inspect the car before you pay for it, and make sure everything is just as it should be/agreed to.
  • Cheaper than shipping the car.
  • No risk of shipping damage; it's in your hands the entire time.
  • Road trip in a fast car!

Admittedly, I can do it for basically free because I'm stacked with airline and hotel miles from my work travel. My expense is food and gas. But, even if I was going out of pocket, I'd definitely fly/drive over ship!

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Call Intercity Lines. They transport Porsche cars and other high end vehicles. I contacted Intercity Lines when I was exploring having my MINI JCW transported from CA to AR. I never shipped it -- not with any concerns about Intercity LInes -- but decided to sell it to a MINI dealer close to where I lived in CA. I sold it because there are no MINI dealers within 187 miles of my location here in Benton Couny AR.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I had my car shipped from Greensboro, NC to central Illinois by the selling dealership. They use a private individual and it was in an enclosed trailer. This was in early March, 2015, and I didn't want to risk driving it in snow and salt. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Reliable hauls cars and their quote was similar to what I paid.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I also used RoadRunner from Youngstown,Oh to Sarasota ,Fl.. Might take a couple days longer because the trailer is usually full and for cars all over the country. Just make sure they use soft straps instead of chains to hold the car down. Chains are not good for a nice undercarriage.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Just double checking you have the car registered and insured with full coverage, never assume the truck carrier will be responsible for anything.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not that you have the time, but just fly out and drive it home. I have bought cars remote many times, including my first '10 R/T, and my current one. I flew to Cleveland, OH (in December) for the '10 and drove it back to Dallas. The one I have now I picked up (in February) in Augusta, GA.

The benefits:
  • You get to inspect the car before you pay for it, and make sure everything is just as it should be/agreed to.
  • Cheaper than shipping the car.
  • No risk of shipping damage; it's in your hands the entire time.
  • Road trip in a fast car!

Admittedly, I can do it for basically free because I'm stacked with airline and hotel miles from my work travel. My expense is food and gas. But, even if I was going out of pocket, I'd definitely fly/drive over ship!

Cheers!

JD
Done the same - I like to see what I'm paying for

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I also used RoadRunner from Youngstown,Oh to Sarasota ,Fl.. Might take a couple days longer because the trailer is usually full and for cars all over the country. Just make sure they use soft straps instead of chains to hold the car down. Chains are not good for a nice undercarriage.
The tires get strapped down these days not the body compressing the suspension.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
277 Posts
Drive it. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I used McCollister's twice. Very professional. No problems at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts