Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I bought my 2021 SCWB Shaker in Kansas last week and debated driving or shipping it back to NY. My schedule did not allow me to squeeze in the drive so I opted to ship it.

I first signed on with Montway Auto Transport after I got a quote of $869 open carrier. I told them the car would be ready to go today, October 7 (Because I chose to ship the dealer couldn't release it until the bank funded it so there was a delay getting things over nighted back and forth because bank needed ink signatures). Montway calls me this morning and tells me they have a carrier but he wouldn't do it for the price quoted and wanted $150 more but also wouldn't do it before next week. I get that there's a window of up to 5 days after the ready date but don't quote such a low price that no one will do it. They couldn't even get a closed carrier to do it because the $1250 quote was way to low.

Wanting to get the car back here I called Jimmy at Total Care Transportation this morning because the dealer had used him in the past. I explained the situation and asked if he'd be able to get it out today or tomorrow. He said he would work on it immediately after I told him put it out for open and closed so we had a bigger pool. Less than hour later he called me back and said he had a single car closed carrier ready to go tomorrow morning for $1650. Driver said he would deliver Saturday afternoon. Communication with Jimmy has been excellent and the whole thing so far has been seamless...he said he would call me tomorrow morning when the driver tells him it's loaded and ready to go. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to ship a car.

Prices have increased a lot since the last time I shipped a car with the increase in fuel and insurance but at least I know it will be taken care of.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
That is indeed a chunk of change but I would sleep better knowing it's going by itself in an enclosed trailer. That's pretty personalized service.
Hope it has a safe trip!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is indeed a chunk of change but I would sleep better knowing it's going by itself in an enclosed trailer. That's pretty personalized service.
Hope it has a safe trip!
While on its face it is a chunk of change but considering the increased cost of fuel and insurance it's reasonable..... about $1.35 per mile.

I run a corporate transportation business and we're in the range of $1.50-$1.75 per mile. Insurance and fuel are by far the biggest chunk of the budget.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
617 Posts
As some of you know I bought my 2021 SCWB Shaker in Kansas last week and debated driving or shipping it back to NY. My schedule did not allow me to squeeze in the drive so I opted to ship it.

I first signed on with Montway Auto Transport after I got a quote of $869 open carrier. I told them the car would be ready to go today, October 7 (Because I chose to ship the dealer couldn't release it until the bank funded it so there was a delay getting things over nighted back and forth because bank needed ink signatures). Montway calls me this morning and tells me they have a carrier but he wouldn't do it for the price quoted and wanted $150 more but also wouldn't do it before next week. I get that there's a window of up to 5 days after the ready date but don't quote such a low price that no one will do it. They couldn't even get a closed carrier to do it because the $1250 quote was way to low.

Wanting to get the car back here I called Jimmy at Total Care Transportation this morning because the dealer had used him in the past. I explained the situation and asked if he'd be able to get it out today or tomorrow. He said he would work on it immediately after I told him put it out for open and closed so we had a bigger pool. Less than hour later he called me back and said he had a single car closed carrier ready to go tomorrow morning for $1650. Driver said he would deliver Saturday afternoon. Communication with Jimmy has been excellent and the whole thing so far has been seamless...he said he would call me tomorrow morning when the driver tells him it's loaded and ready to go. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to ship a car.

Prices have increased a lot since the last time I shipped a car with the increase in fuel and insurance but at least I know it will be taken care of.

View attachment 1032952
Good to know. Unfortunately I just booked my GTO for $900 to go 200 mi. Same as I paid for my GN back in May. I guess there's a bare minimum for these guys to cover expenses regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know. Unfortunately I just booked my GTO for $900 to go 200 mi. Same as I paid for my GN back in May. I guess there's a bare minimum for these guys to cover expenses regardless of mileage.
Wow, $4.50 a mile is really high but as they say there is no price to high for good customer service and a feeling of security

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
336 Posts
I've always flown and drove my cars home, including my current one. I've done 5 or 6 cars this way. Just can't bear the thought of having a 3rd party handle my car.

I'm fortunate that I have more airline points that I can use due to business travel, but I'd still do it even if I was paying out-of-pocket. I get the whole time constraint thing, but the longest trip I've ever done was three days from northern MI to San Antonio, TX. Most of the others were 2 days. Plus, I really enjoy getting to take a new toy on a long road trip!

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like a fair deal for a single car enclosed trailer on very short notice. I almost shipped from VA to MS back in Feb mostly due to not wanting to drive in the snow (cause I don't know how to do that, especially in a new to me high HP car). Well timing worked out where I was able to fly in and drive out when warmer dry weather hit in March. That 1100 mile trip was the shortest road trip I feel like I've ever taken. Spent so much time getting to know the car I had been dreaming about for years. It was just an incredible experience. I was so pumped I almost did the whole drive with no overnight stay, but the wife begged me to rest. Bonus: got to drive through places I had never been. Double bonus: was past the break-in well before I got home.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,213 Posts
While on its face it is a chunk of change but considering the increased cost of fuel and insurance it's reasonable..... about $1.35 per mile.

I run a corporate transportation business and we're in the range of $1.50-$1.75 per mile. Insurance and fuel are by far the biggest chunk of the budget.
Montway is a complete joke. I was a service provider on Uship a few years ago, and their cancellation rate was absolutely horrible. They have few “actual trucks” and essentially contract everything out with other owner/operators. By the time montway lists it, uship gets their cut, and they screw the owner operator, there’s nothing left over.

As to the crazy fuel prices nowadays, here’s my 3rd quarter 2021 purchases:
Product Organism Font Screenshot Line

Fuel is up a tad over $0.95/gallon compared to this time last year.

• Wow
Reactions: Bacon Sandwich

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
In March, 2017, I had Crown Nissan in Greensboro, NC arrange shipping my (new to me) 2013 R/T Classic 720 miles to my home in IL. It was 1 of 2 cars in an enclosed trailer and the cost was $995.00. I thought it was a fair price and they delivered ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cost me £1500 to ship mine from Houston to Port of London, UK in a container. Took three months! Watching it on ship tracker was agony o_O

We won't mention the £8500 of import duty and tax I had to pay UK Customs and Excise. Or the additional £400 unloading fee. Or the cost of the extra fuel I had to buy in London to make the drive home to Yorkshire. Or the 11 hours it took to do a 3 or 4 hour trip due to road works, accidents and traffic.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Cost me £1500 to ship mine from Houston to Port of London, UK in a container. Took three months! Watching it on ship tracker was agony o_O

We won't mention the £8500 of import duty and tax I had to pay UK Customs and Excise. Or the additional £400 unloading fee. Or the cost of the extra fuel I had to buy in London to make the drive home to Yorkshire. Or the 11 hours it took to do a 3 or 4 hour trip due to road works, accidents and traffic.
but you forget---the cost of owning a challenger in london-----PRICELESS

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
128 Posts
CONGRATS on the Beautiful and Bad Ass New Challenger (y)
I've used Montway before and had no issues, bottom line you get what you pay for. You DONT WANT the usual BS where they pass your car from driver to driver, truck to truck, and in most cases that's exactly what they do. Door to Door on same truck is only way to go and any transporter coming to NY is adding at least 300, 400, 500 more. It's very expensive for them to deliver to NY ( substantially higher than even NJ). CONGRATS and Enjoy....

·
Registered
205 Posts
but you forget---the cost of owning a challenger in london-----PRICELESS
Luckily I'm not in London - traffic in the city London these days moves slower than horse wagons two centuries ago!

Cost . . . well, I filled up my Lancia the other day - petrol at £1.55 a litre . . . so around $8 for a US gallon . . . EIGHT . . . I walk a lot . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts