Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
possibly getting a set of tires and wheels but they'll have to be shipped a thousand miles or so,
who has shipped like this and whats the best overall, most efficient way of doing it?
truck frieght, UPS, Fed-Ex, how do you protect the wheels?

thanks for your answers (help) in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Tire rack uses heavy cardboard disks top and bottom with some foam sheet under the disk, straps X'd around the tire and ships each tire/wheel UPS. I have received 2 sets shipped this way with no problems.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire rack uses heavy cardboard disks top and bottom with some foam sheet under the disk, straps X'd around the tire and ships each tire/wheel UPS. I have received 2 sets shipped this way with no problems.
remember about how much the shipping was?

thanks.. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Had mounted wheels/tires shipped a couple thousand miles for my truck. They came freight. Each wheel/tire combo had a cardboard disk on front side of wheel and then wrapped in plastic. They arrived in perfect condition. Shipping cost was included in the purchase price so cant give you anything there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
538 Posts
I shipped 4 tires/wheels from UT to AB Canada. Checked several options. FedEx does not ship out of US. UPS does, interestingly, the cost was $281.00 by shipping 2 pairs. All 4 together was way more, as was individually.
I placed the wheels face together, used heavy duty plastic ties around the wheel spokes and then plastic shrink wrapped around the tires. They went through customs and arrived undamaged.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!!

How to Ship Wheels, Must Read!

I think most of us on here will find these DIY write ups useful for providing cost effective shipping for wheels, wheels with tires & tires.

How to Package & Ship Wheels w/ Tires​

Shipping wheels with tires can be costly if you don’t choose the right shipping provider & you pay someone else to package them.

Shopping List

1. 2 Medium Size Storage Boxes (Home Depot has these for $.69 each)
  2. 50 Sheets of Dish Foam (Home Depot has a roll for $6.97)
  3. 1000 Feet Stretch Wrap (Home Depot has this for $4.97, 1000ft is the smallest size)
  4. Packing Tape (Home Depot has this for $3.37 for a large roll, you only need 3ft of tape for [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]4 wheels[/COLOR][/COLOR])
  5. 1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades ($1.98 @ Home Depot)

Step 1Lay Medium Sized box out flat
Cut Box in Half

Step 2Open up box after cutting in half
Lay cleaned wheel on top
Cut excess material away

Step 3Place at least 2 sheets of dish foam on face of wheel
Tape dish foam to [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]tire[/COLOR][/COLOR] so it doesn't move around

Step 4Secure large circular piece of cardboard over dish wrap to the face of the wheel.
Cut excess material into partitions that will be used for back of wheel.

Step 5Use packing tape to secure partitions in place

Step 6Use 100% recyclable packing wrap to wrap the [COLOR=red !important][COLOR=red !important]wheels and tires[/COLOR][/COLOR] in any motion (Rocking the wheel back and forth works well)
The tighter the packing wrap, the more secure & protected the wheel will be in transit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts