Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member of CT is interested in purchasing my wheels & tires. I've never shipped anything like this & I'm unsure of how to do it. The wheels are mounted on tires & I can't find boxes that'll work.

I would like to ask any members that have previously shipped a set, the best way of going about it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have shipped rims with tires. The way I did it was find a pallet(usually Wal-mart or a grocery store will have them), ask for one. Try to get one thats in good condition. What I did was put two tires on the bottom, then put a couple of pieces of cardboard on top of the first layer, then put the last two on that. I then took plastice wrap and wrapped the whole pallet, did a few layers of wrap(like ten wraps). Then shipped. Has to go truck freight, like Yellow, ABF, Old Dominion, etc. Depending on where its going, its not gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I'd call a shipper like Yellow an ask them. I'd think all 4 could go on a pallet. They might be able to shrink wrap them. The guy could pick them up at a depot or something like that they could break apart and unload at the guy's house or work. Just a thought.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Most of the time you are better off not to go over the size of a 4' X 4' Palette. The trucking companies do charge extra if you do, and there's a bigger chance of damage if they hang over the sides. I would put them on top of each other lying flat with good thick cardboard between each one, shrink wrap the whole palette very good and then band it very well across both sides, 2 bands going each way. It should ride very well and stay together which means less chance of damage.
If you would take them to your local trucking terminal they should let you use the stuff you need to package them, if you are using them to ship the freight. Cost of shipping is Size, Weight, Destination and what type of freight it is. I was in this business for several years, Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Wrap each one in the plastic wrap over cardboard on each side. Then you can ship UPSGround. About 60lbs each. Roughly 110.00 to ship all 4

·
Registered
51 Posts
As dave siad.. Cardboard top and bottom. Get 3 or 4 rolls of shipping tape. put the wheel and tire on the edge of a table. Wrap the wheel and tires and cardboard. The cool part is when the tape comes off the tires look brand new. I do not know about the SE tires and wheels but the SRT 8's are real heavy and need to be shipped as four packages. You need to be careful on your weight if you ship in pairs.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I did that once with some cragars, just got a box, put an extra piece of cardboard on the bottom, put some stuffing(shredded paper, popcorn etc)put the wheel, more stuffing, another piece of cardboard and closed it up. Worked perfect and the guy got it with no issues.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
But with a tire on it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just shipped a set of wheels and tires. Went to a local shipping supplies company and got 4 boxes. Removed the valve stems from the tires and boxed each one individually. This way they can go ground. Shipping isn't cheap on wheels/tires, but it gets the job done. I think it cost over $200 for the shipping charges and $40 for the boxes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Heres a good pro way to do it freight if you got the resources.
Just take your skid, stack your wheels on, you can plastic wrap them first if you want. Then metal band them to the skid putting a piece of wood between the tire and band. The air force does it this way, only we put a slab of cardboard over the tire and two bands evenly spaced with a piece of 2x4 instead of one band with that huge chunk of wood in the pic.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Shipping

Most of the time you are better off not to go over the size of a 4' X 4' Palette. The trucking companies do charge extra if you do, and there's a bigger chance of damage if they hang over the sides. I would put them on top of each other lying flat with good thick cardboard between each one, shrink wrap the whole palette very good and then band it very well across both sides, 2 bands going each way. It should ride very well and stay together which means less chance of damage.
If you would take them to your local trucking terminal they should let you use the stuff you need to package them, if you are using them to ship the freight. Cost of shipping is Size, Weight, Destination and what type of freight it is. I was in this business for several years, Hope this helps.
Just what I said!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Unless you have access to a real shipping dock, the best bet is the cardboard (with some padding) over the wheels method, and shipping each separately via UPS. Use LOTS of tape to hold the cardboard in place, and trim it so you can roll the tire around w/o touching (and tugging at) the cardboard.

Also, be sure to bring all the shipping info (including phone) with you, since you have to key it into the computer that prints the shipping label (sounds dumb I know, but I've forgotten it twice now...).

You will have to take it to a UPS shipping hub though, since USP retail shops can't accept a wheel & tire combo (liability reasons I was told). Depending on where you are this may or may not be an issue (I had a 20 min drive to mine).

Tires-only you can ship 'naked' (they just put a label on the tire itself) and you can do that from any UPS site (retail or hub).

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Just recently received a set of snow tire and wheels from "an Internet retailer" for our Jeep SRT. They were shipped separately as described by previous posters. They put foam sheets under each piece of cardboard. Everything was perfect when the UPS guy left them. They used plastic banding along with packing tape. Shipping was around $120. The Jeep runflats and wheels are really heavy compared to the Challenger wheels/tires - as I realized when installing the snow tires.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Shipping wheels & tires is surprisingly cheap... and it's pretty fast too. When I sold my stock 18"s they made it from GA to the midwest in 2 days.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Wrap each one in the plastic wrap over cardboard on each side. Then you can ship UPSGround. About 60lbs each. Roughly 110.00 to ship all 4
DMVPHOTO nailed it. They will weigh 60-65#s each. Wrap them like DMVPHOTO explained and bring the wheels and tires to a UPS store and they will help you. This is the easiest way to ship them. Don't put them on a pallet. Most carriers will take them off of the pallet anyway and charge 2X what UPS charges. (I know what I am talking about. Worked for Yellow for 25 yrs until they became YRC and let me go).

·
Registered
526 Posts
We sold the factory 18" wheels/tires off my wife's Charger. Shipped them to Florida from San Diego via FedEx Ground. I simply cut four 18" diameter pieces of thin plywood (could have been masonite) and overlayed them over the front of the rim. To hold them in place I used thin bolts or maybe even tie wraps through the holes in the rims and then through the boards. Put shipping labels on each piece and away they went. No problems and saved quite a bit of weight not using a pallet.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
LOL...too much crap if you ask me. Send them locally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts