Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my challenger for barely a month now and some inconsiderate person got the side of my car with their car door. The scratches aren't too bad and you have to really look to even find them (except me because I know they are there). They are short and fine but there are several of them. What is the best way to fix this?

·
Registered
466 Posts
small amount of polishing compound on a microfiber cloth

·
Registered
323 Posts
from what a few painters have told me run your fingernail over it, if you can feel the scratch then its to deep to simply buff out. if you can't feel the scratch then try a polishing compound as the above member mentioned. or may have to try light wetsanding with around 1500 grit sand paper, then buffing.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Depending on the depth of the scratches, I would first try Meguiars Ultimate Polish. If that doesn't work use Meguiars Ultimate (liquid) Compound followed by the polish. Then wax.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I would go with Cuda340's recommendation. Actually, I might even suggest simply buying the Meguiars Ultimate Compound and either the Ultimate Polish or the Swirl-X up front. Even if you don’t use the UC for this correction, it is still a handy product to have on your shelf if/when the need arises.

The Scratch-X 2.0 BADHEMI recommended is also a decent product and one that I’ve used for years (mainly v1 before 2.0 came out) for spot touch-ups like this (i.e. paint transfer, localized scratches, etc.). The only reason I mentioned UC and the others was to give you a wider range of corrective action.

From most aggressive to least aggressive:

Meguiars UC > Scratch-X 2.0 > Swirl-X/Ultimate Polish

UP and Swirl-x are similar, lighter, finishing polishes except that UP has more carrier oils which can help mask finer scratches (they have a filling effect). Scratch-X 2.0 can finish “well enough” for most but (IME) UC will leave micro-marring when used by hand that you will likely want to address with a lighter polish. In either case, always use the least aggressive product/method necessary to achieve the result you are after. In other words, don’t grab for the most aggressive solution first and know “when to say when”. …..living with an “ok” result is better than making matters worse by going overboard (i.e. wetsanding without experience, etc.). Even if the scratch proves to be rather deep, correction with the polishes mentioned should at least help minimize its appearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts