Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I think I am repeating a question but I have had no luck in finding the info here. I am wondering what short throw shifter is going to be the best for my 2010 SRT. The last STS I bought was for my 05 GTO and I ordered mine from JHP in Australia because they had been working with the GTO for a lot longer than the American dealers. Now that I am picking my car up from storage next weekend I am looking to install a STS but want to know what is out there and what you all think. I have heard about the Hurst system but i have heard that they have broken and I also know they had problems in the GTO's as well. Any advise you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hurst is currently the only manufacturer of a short throw shifter for the Challenger, as far as I know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, the Hurst shifter is a good shifter (and the only "short throw" available). Hurst has made some changes to help the wear on the O-rings, and added an anti-vibration/noise kit to the shifter. Had mine in for about a month now and love it. Speedlogic and Mopar carry a shifter lever and knob that looks pretty nice, but it only for show and doesn't tighten up the shifter (I think it's smaller that the stock shifter so it may seem like it has a shorter throw). I almost bought that, but was convinced to spend the extra money on the Hurst shifter, and I'm glad I did.

·
Banned
928 Posts
old news on the o-ring issue with the Hurst shifter. All has been rectified and the shifter is great!.. get it!.. you won't de dissapointed

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
is there still a noise or vibration issue? i'm still on the fence, but love the look of the hard drive handle

·
Banned
928 Posts
the shifter comes with dynamat and rubber isolators for the handle if you want to utilize them to eliminate any noise/vibration issues

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of your help i think I am going to have to order it when I get the car back this weekend. Any reccomendations on where to get it and any extras i should get with it?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
old news on the o-ring issue with the Hurst shifter. All has been rectified and the shifter is great!.. get it!.. you won't de dissapointed
"Truthiness", as Colbert would say! While they have attempted to rectify the issues with o-rings ( page 57 on fix thread), they STILL have the o-rings. While this new bushing and use of RTV sealant may slow down the deterioration of the o-rings, the weakness still lies at the reduction of the ROD diameter for the I-rings. I would still modify the newer shifter, and as they didn't start making the mods till round 10/10 I WOULD check any new shifter I bought, for that little white sleeve portruding from the block. They really should just do away with the o-rings IMHO, don't know why a thin, hard rubber sleeve wouldn't be quieter than 70s mod and more durable than o-rings, but love my "fixed" Hurst!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hurst shifter is the one you want. Also install the shifter mod as per this thread.

I've had it for sometime. The Dynamat doesn't make much difference- most of the noise comes through the stick and into your car.

It can take a couple passes at reducing the noise from the shifter mod, but it's really worth it. No o-rings (there are three), and the car shifts absolutely superbly with the mod. It's still louder than the stock Hurst shifter, which is louder than the OEM shifter, but not that much louder, especially if you're driving normally.

Find a buddy's car with the OEM shifter, and another with a Hurst shifter. You won't believe the difference in feel. The Hurst mod makes it that much better again.

When you pull the OEM shifter out and compare it to the Hurst unit, you'll see quickly that the OEM shifter is really cheesy.

A modified Hurst shifter is easily one of the three favorite mods on my car (the other two being the Corsa exhaust and an SRTMax cam)

Do it, man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts