Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering installing shorty headers on my '13 R/T (manual, with stp). I already have Flowmaster super 44's with resonators deleted. Besides the headers, what else would I need. Will their be any issues with cel, or any other issues, with this type of install. If any one has some input, will gladly appreciate the same. Thanks.

Reactions: vita

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm considering installing shorty headers on my '13 R/T (manual, with stp). I already have Flowmaster super 44's with resonators deleted. Besides the headers, what else would I need. Will their be any issues with cel, or any other issues, with this type of install. If any one has some input, will gladly appreciate the same. Thanks.
Have installed the Titanium coated JBA shorty headers on my 2009 R/T Auto.They are a quality product aside from the gaskets,(felt like material), they provide with the kit which should be replaced with a new set of the 5.7L gaskets that came with your car as they have the flange that protects the valve cover gaskets from heat damage. Also,you will have to protect the alternator cable on the passenger side as it will be susceptible to heat damage by the header after installation.You can heat wrap the cable or use a heavy duty nylon tie to lift it away from the header by 1.5"-2" then fasten the tie to the electrical cable bundle that runs to the fuse box,...this is what I chose to do and has been satisfactory for 3 years now,(see pics).

Car was on a lift and motor mounts removed to lift engine,...made life easy.Had the CORSA Xtreme cat-back and K&N CAI installed at the same time.Drove the car for a month with no problems before I got the Diablosport Predator #7135.Installed the CAI 91 Octane tune that the Predator came with,then a few months later did some data logging for the custom tune.With the above mentioned mods the car runs much better than stock and have experienced no codes or other problems.After the work was done I just let the car sit and ildle for 20 minutes to allow the ECM adjust(re-learn) to the mods before driving it at low speeds for 30 minutes,...than took it on the Hwy for a 15 minute run,...all was well.

I should also mention that at the same time a CORSA Xtreme cat-back was installed along with a K&N CAI so that is the sound you will hear in the attached video.To sum up,...yes,it was worth the investment,...love the way the car sounds.

The JBA Titanium Ceramic coated shorty headers that have a heat range of 1600*F.They are built well with a 3/8" flange so warping is not a concern.There were no fitment issues.

MOPAR OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket Part #'s - 53032965af & 530332966af

JBA Shorty Header Choices
Stainless Steel - 1964S - Temp.Rating 1300 Degrees F
Silver Ceramic Coated - 1964SJS - Temp.Rating 1500 Degrees F
Titanium Ceramic - 1964SJT - Temp.Rating 1600 Degrees F

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaDCSbzhjJs

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the info and pics., so in regards to the gasket, just swap the one that comes with the headers for the factory Mopar part (that you provided the serial number, which I appreciate). Do I need downpipes or just re-use the ones that are with the car right now. Do you suggest that I change them (was thinking about the ones with high flow cats), don't know if doing so will cause a cel. What do you think, will that be a good idea or performance will be the same as re-using the factory ones. Also, do I need to get bolts ( like does that come with the fastener so they don't get loose, sorry forgot the brand name on those) or do they come with bolts. Do the bolts need to get re-torque after so many miles? Sorry for all the questions, first time that I'm trying this on one of my cars, just making sure that when is done is a one time deal. Thanks again for your input, appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Appreciate the info and pics., so in regards to the gasket, just swap the one that comes with the headers for the factory Mopar part (that you provided the serial number, which I appreciate). Do I need downpipes or just re-use the ones that are with the car right now. Do you suggest that I change them (was thinking about the ones with high flow cats), don't know if doing so will cause a cel. What do you think, will that be a good idea or performance will be the same as re-using the factory ones. Also, do I need to get bolts ( like does that come with the fastener so they don't get loose, sorry forgot the brand name on those) or do they come with bolts. Do the bolts need to get re-torque after so many miles? Sorry for all the questions, first time that I'm trying this on one of my cars, just making sure that when is done is a one time deal. Thanks again for your input, appreciate it very much.
Appreciate the info and pics., so in regards to the gasket, just swap the one that comes with the headers for the factory Mopar part (that you provided the serial number, which I appreciate).

Yes,toss the gaskets that come with the JBA kit in the garbage and use a NEW set of Mopar gaskets as described in my original post above.

Do I need downpipes or just re-use the ones that are with the car right now. Do you suggest that I change them (was thinking about the ones with high flow cats), don't know if doing so will cause a cel. What do you think, will that be a good idea or performance will be the same as re-using the factory ones.

Yes,you can keep the original factory mid-pipes as I did.You can install aftermarket mid-pipes which may increase the flow performance for added horsepower in conjunction with the headers and an aftermarket cold air intake.The setup on my car that you saw in the video added 48 RWHP.Keep in mind that I also had a custom tune done as well.I kept the stock factory mid-pipes and cats keeping in mind that we have emission testing on our cars in the province of Ontario.Not sure if high flow cats would have the car fail testing but I did not want to take any chances.That is also why I did not install long tube headers.

Also, do I need to get bolts ( like does that come with the fastener so they don't get loose, sorry forgot the brand name on those) or do they come with bolts. Do the bolts need to get re-torque after so many miles?

The JBA header kit comes with a full set of bolts to do the job.As an option you can use the locking fasteners for added security.I would recommend the 'Stage 8' brand.Mine have never had to be re-torqued and it has been a few years or so since installation.I know others who have used the bolts that come with the headers and they too have had no issues with the bolts having to be re-torqued.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Factory 6.4 shorties are cheap and definitely a worthwhile investment. It pulls great at the top of the rpm band. I didn't change anything with my tune, yet anyways.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your input 09R/TPony, again appreciate it.

Unit453, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, aprox. how much do the 6.4 shorty headers cost. Do they come with the gaskets or you just go ahead and purchase MOPAR ones.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts

Unit453, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, aprox. how much do the 6.4 shorty headers cost. Do they come with the gaskets or you just go ahead and purchase MOPAR ones.
6.4 SRT shorties cost whatever someone wants to sell a take-off pair for.

You would want to use a new set of SRT gaskets which cost about $40 each gasket from a dealer. New set of SRT bolts will run about $20 as well.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Appreciate the info and pics., so in regards to the gasket, just swap the one that comes with the headers for the factory Mopar part (that you provided the serial number, which I appreciate). Do I need downpipes or just re-use the ones that are with the car right now. Do you suggest that I change them (was thinking about the ones with high flow cats), don't know if doing so will cause a cel. What do you think, will that be a good idea or performance will be the same as re-using the factory ones.
I have JBA shorties and Solo high flow cats and a Solo cat back. No CELs for me.

I have an SRT gasket on drivers side and the JBA crappy) gasket on the passenger side. I was going to use SRT gaskets on both, but the SRT gasket covers the EGR (I think?) hole in the 5.7L header and I was worried about throwing codes. So I chose the option of using a poorer gasket on that side.

Also, do I need to get bolts ( like does that come with the fastener so they don't get loose, sorry forgot the brand name on those) or do they come with bolts.
JBA came with bolts, but I had a set of new SRT header bolts, so I used them instead.

Do the bolts need to get re-torque after so many miles?
I did a re-torque after about a week. Found a couple bolts were slightly loose at the top - the hard to get to ones. The lose bolts were on the JBA gasket side, not the SRT gasket side. But to be fair the passenger side bolts on the top are harder to get to. I didn't move the engine or anything like that, just battled with the tight space.

I also did this work on the lift of a very helpful and friendly forum member, so that (and he too) helped a lot for access.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
SRT Clamshell Header Fitment Issues On an R/T

Here is some vital information you may want to read in the event you should decide to install the SRT 6.1L or 6.4L clamshell headers on your R/T.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/6-1l-exhaust-manifolds-5-7l-hemi-97645/

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f194/fyi-5-7l-6-4l-exhaust-manifold-95112/

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/who-has-installed-headers-srt-exhaust-manifold-their-r-t-55834/

http://pamodernmopargroup.board-directory.net/t215-challenger-srt-exhaust-system-swap-on-r-t

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Exhaust Manifolds: SRT & R/T Comparison

Some pics of the SRT and R/T exhaust manifolds for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
JBA Shorty Headers & R/T Exhaust Manifold

Some pics of the JBA shorty headers and R/T exhaust manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Have installed the Titanium coated JBA shorty headers on my 2009 R/T Auto.They are a quality product aside from the gaskets,(felt like material), they provide with the kit which should be replaced with a new set of the 5.7L gaskets that came with your car
Doe the factory gaskets obstruct the shorty header tube openings at all or are they a perfect fit for the JBA headers?

·
Registered
896 Posts

Google the part numbers for the gaskets and bolts and shop around. I paid around $36 for the gaskets and bolts. I found the bolts for 67 cents a piece online. I paid $200 for a pair of used, low mileage 6.4 shortys, then found some 6.4 catted downpipes from another member here for $150. Everything fit and connected together perfectly. Just look in the classified section, craigslist or fleabay. Someone is always selling a set. I wouldn't pay anything over $250 for a set of used 6.4 shortys though.

This is a worthwhile modification to do. It's gonna take some time but the car is gonna feel so much stronger at the top end. I just wish I did it sooner. Be prepared to spend 6-8 hours, easy. Also, we did mine from 95% underneath with use of a lift. The only thing that slowed us down was unwrapping the pass side O2 sensor wire to get it to stretch long enough.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is really great guys, appreciate all the info, links and pictures that all of you have provided. Makes it more easier to make a good choice and have all the right parts needed for the job. Really appreciate it, :thanks:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Doe the factory gaskets obstruct the shorty header tube openings at all or are they a perfect fit for the JBA headers?
I did not find this to be an issue as the JBA headers and factory gaskets are all D-port shaped just as the stock exhaust manifolds are.Here is a photo I took of the factory R/T gasket laid over the JBA shorty header.

Attachments

Reactions: arkangel
1 - 18 of 18 Posts