Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Should Challenger Be A V8 Only Car?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Gotta leave every option up to the potential buyer.:cool: V6 base, 5.7, 6.1, 6.4:D

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
ND RAM said:
Gotta leave every option up to the potential buyer.:cool: V6 base, 5.7, 6.1, 6.4:D
I agree as well. If the Challenger is going to be a long term success it needs to appeal to as many buyers as possible. I really hope DCX doesn't try to make this car a niche market collectable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If DCX wants to compete head on with the Mustang they'll have to make a V-6 base model. There will be plenty of students, struggling young adults and especally females who'll want the looks but with better fuel economy.

I test drove a 300C with the 3.5 V-6 and while it didnt have the brute guts of the Hemi, the V-6 loved to rev and moved that big car with surprising authority. Most people would swear it was a V-8 under the hood.

·
Registered
712 Posts
WildBillTX said:
If DCX wants to compete head on with the Mustang they'll have to make a V-6 base model. There will be plenty of students, struggling young adults and especally females who'll want the looks but with better fuel economy.
...what he said. :D

BTW Challenger SRT-8, glad to see another fellow GTO'r among us. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a word...yes! The challenger should be a V8 only car. A V6 in a challenger is like putting 4 doors on a charger or a V8 in a viper. Also, when I buy one of these I don't want to see another 149,999 of the same car running around. Saturation means that the uniqueness of the vehicle is lost as is some of the appeal. (e.g. all mustangs and camaros)

As far as profitability the challenger sounds like it will be shoehorned into an existing line which means cheaper tooling and production layout costs. Less overhead = lower sticker price = affordable V8 mode that doesn't have to be mass producedl. If people want a V6 well then they should just have to pony up and buy a mustang. Me…well, I’m a mopar guy, a v8 mopar guy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
WildBillTX said:
Well said!! I want a big V8 as bad as the next guy but if there is not a V6 then this car will not be around long....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunatly i think a V6 is a necessary evil in this situation, if you want this car to be around long enough for the 392 to be put in it then you are probably going to have to see a V6. Making it more expensive or a limited production car would KILL it. pony cars are supposed to be cheap and fast. Beisdes even the orginal had an inline 6 right? with a gross output of something like 145hp?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I refuse to put a vote in because the options are rigged. There should be engine options across the board: v6, 5.7L, 6.1L and eventually 6.4L. If hemidakota's posts are accurate there will be so many engine options even a diesel v6 will be on the table (as an export).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't vote either, due to the fact that the full range of Dodge engines is not included as an option. I myself will be upgrading from a 300HP(Advertised:rolleyes: ) 06 Mustang GT, to the 425HP 6.1 HEMI Challenger as soon possible, but not every one is in my shoes, plus if they made it a 6.4 only, or even an option, I can say that Realistically, I would likely not be able to afford it. :(

Bottom line, I dont think Market Over-saturation has Ever been a PROBLEM for a car manufacturer, in thier eyes, Profit is Profit, the aftermarket and our little carclubs don't matter to them! If DCX is smart, and I know they are.... They will give some options so that Everyone will be able to afford/Buy a Challenger, no matter their budget.

I want this car to be Produced, I want this line to last so that other variants can be made down the line, and I want it to be affordable.

My .02

Smokn~:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get Realistic: With the Greenies, Enviromental psychos and Insurance companies out there (plus don't forget the escalating price of gas). The Challenger won't have a prayer if they don't offer a V-6 Option (Chrysler must meet fleet gas mileage quota's like the other companies). The 3.5 V-6 will have comparable HP to the old 340 v-8, which is pretty damd good, plus the 3.5 revs, which will make it fun to drive and be an affordable base model for the average consumer. For the brave at Heart, they will offer the 5.7 and 6.1 engines and hopefully have a 6.4 option. DC will be able to offer a Base Challenger at around $22,000 and the top of the line model (6.4L) around $32,000. By the way, the 6-speed manual will be about the same price as the auto trannie, not $6,000 more (probably will be within $500 -$800 of auto price).

·
Registered
598 Posts
...Where have I heard this type of thread and posts somewhere else on here as to what engine options dcx should have for the new challenger......Hmmmmmm.....shhhhh!!....be quiet VP....keep your blood pressure down....no more comments from me on these kind of subjects.....shhhh!.....:p :D ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anybody have an idea (ballpark) on how much each model would run? I mean for a 6.1 V8, is that gonna be about $35k? or higher? What do you think MSRP would be vs. dealer mark-up?

Wonder if this should be the start of a new thread? Should we even bother speculating? Did I ask enough questions? :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
MoparOrNoCar said:
In a word...yes! The challenger should be a V8 only car. A V6 in a challenger is like putting 4 doors on a charger or a V8 in a viper. Also, when I buy one of these I don't want to see another 149,999 of the same car running around. Saturation means that the uniqueness of the vehicle is lost as is some of the appeal. (e.g. all mustangs and camaros)

As far as profitability the challenger sounds like it will be shoehorned into an existing line which means cheaper tooling and production layout costs. Less overhead = lower sticker price = affordable V8 mode that doesn't have to be mass producedl. If people want a V6 well then they should just have to pony up and buy a mustang. Me…well, I’m a mopar guy, a v8 mopar guy.
Making the Challenger only with a V-8 will scare off a lot of potential buyers who wont think the car is practical enough for start/stop driving to work-school and long highway drives. Another thing to consider is insurance costs, V-6 cars are usually lower.

I think the 5.7 Hemi will be the most popular choice. But it does have a undeserved bad rep for being a gas guzzler from being in heavy Ram pickups and Jeep Grand Cherokees. If they have to keep the Challenger V-8 only I say put the 4.7 non-hemi in as the base engine.

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to how many Challengers should be made. To heck with this "limited edition" crap. I want the Challenger to become one of the hottest selling and perhaps one of the most influental cars of this decade - like the 300C is going to be. If fans want the musclecar (and Detroit) to revive and thrive and not be just a short-lived "retro" fad DCX needs to manufacture and sell a bunch!

·
Registered
65 Posts
firstmethod said:
Its awfully crowded on your side of the fence. :D
What made the Ponycar so popular in its glory days was that anyone with a decient job could at least afford a base model. And if you had extra cash you could get a V-8 that you could later modify or trick out when you scraped up more money for engine mods, paint, wheels, interior etc.

Thats one of the biggest reasons the Mustang has remained popular for 40 years, its everyone's muscle car. And I think the Challenger should be the same way.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts