Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my SRT8-392 from out-of-state dealer, where no front tag is required. However, the lovely Garden State does require one. But no front bracket was included. Was it supposed to be....or did it go the way of the spare tire?

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I would think that it would be included along withthe floormats and that stuff is usally in the trunk of a new car.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that it would be included along withthe floormats and that stuff is usally in the trunk of a new car.
checked...not there.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Chrysler ships a bracket with the car. The selling dealer had the bracket at one time. I'd tell them they owe you one.

That being said I would never actually install the bracket. NM does not issue a front plate but I have my bracket and screws in the original bag.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
you wont have to drill if you choose to mount it, all you need is a pair of 8" toggle bolts to slip through the grille and it will mount without drilling. I choose to put a front Dodge Scat Pack plate on mine even though Louisiana does not use one.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I was surprised when I didn't get one with my car either. Not that I would mount it since I live in PA (no front plate state). The dealer must have confiscated it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Chrysler ships a bracket with the car. The selling dealer had the bracket at one time. I'd tell them they owe you one.

That being said I would never actually install the bracket. NM does not issue a front plate but I have my bracket and screws in the original bag.
I checked out your link. $200 and it hangs down in the air inlet? I'll take the stock one. It mounts on the bumper, conforms to the bend in the middle, and what's a few hidden holes in plastic?

Most bumpers will get rock pocks, scratches, etc. on them after a year or two anyhow. That's why most higher end used cars have always had their bumpers re-shot either at the auction house or by the dealer before they hit the lot. Not a big deal to patch a few holes before re-painting.

Back to the OP, I would make sure I got the bracket kit.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Mine was included with my 09. Not that I used it I am in PA and not required.

·
Registered
469 Posts
When I took delivery of our Challenger, the bracket was in the trunk. La. doesn't require a front plate.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
When I bought my new '11 Billet three days ago, the manager at the dealership said that they never install the front plate bracket to any of their cars until the new owner says to do so. (They leave it in the trunk though). Since MD uses front plates, I figured that I'm not willing to put up with the hassle I'd receive from the local police officers and the military policemen (when I go "on-post".)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Death to front license plates! :D
+1 to that. Fortunately, I don't think the Challenger is one of the cars that a front plate really decimates the looks. I also think that almost EVERY car looks BETTER without one though.

In these hard economic times, I can't fathom why more states don't do away with them. Not like they're going to give us a break on the tag cost because they only issue one.

I know in VA the State Police lobby to keep them. Easier ticket writing I guess.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The police lobby to keep them because they are the primary target for laser speed enforcement - they aim for the front plate.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The farmers here want them for the people that drive into thier driveways and back out scoping an easy score. Some use it for photo radar.
Not required here. my brackets still in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I could very well be wrong about this, but I think I read somewhere that Chrysler now only ships license plate brackets to cars headed for states that require them. A cost cutting measure if I remember correctly. I will try to find where I saw this, but BB might be able to say for sure.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I could very well be wrong about this, but I think I read somewhere that Chrysler now only ships license plate brackets to cars headed for states that require them. A cost cutting measure if I remember correctly. I will try to find where I saw this, but BB might be able to say for sure.
Makes a lot of sense. My '09 shipped here to Texas with the bracket in the trunk. It's state law here to have the front but I don't have mine on. Even got it inspected without it on. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
wow, you mean they are cutting a cost of $10? that is about what they cost at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Would you rather they take $10 out of something more important? While Chrysler's cost on that part would be much less than $10, you factor it by the number of cars they ship every year and the savings are HUGE. Same reason for cutting owner's manuals out of the cars.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
wow, you mean they are cutting a cost of $10? that is about what they cost at the dealer.
If what was posted is truly the case, that's $10 X however many Chrysler cars and trucks are shipped to "no front plate" states. I'm betting that adds up to a hefty sum, and whomever in Chrysler that had the idea probably got a nice bonus check for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts