Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 2019 Shaker Skatpack with 3400 miles from a Nissan dealer. The dealership filled the tank with 87 octane. 🤦‍♂️ Should I add an octane boost? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
First, Welcome to Challengertalk from Alabama. Be forewarned, I have a weird sense of humor.
This came up in another thread recently, so I will repeat my advice.
First, this is what you get for buying a SP Shaker from a Nissan dealer! But Congrats on you new ride. You chose well!
As for the gas, take it easy until you have run 1/2 of the tank out and then fill it the rest of the way with a combination 50/50 of jet fuel and nitro-methane. (No, not really!)
All joking aside, the previous posts are correct.
Enjoy that new beast you have! Post some pics!!!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
Just bought a used 2019 Shaker Skatpack with 3400 miles from a Nissan dealer. The dealership filled the tank with 87 octane. 🤦‍♂️ Should I add an octane boost? Thanks
Running gas that is 4 octane numbers below the required octane rating won’t hurt anything as long as the engine uses knock sensors to listen for knock and the engine’s timing is electronically controlled.

Your engine checks both those boxes.

That doesn’t mean you should resign to filling up with 87 octane from here out though. Doing that would having noticeable effects on the car’s acceleration and engine performance anytime you go full throttle or near-full throttle on the accelerator.

Also, be wary of OTC octane boosters. They are NOT created equal, and the ones that will work come with drawbacks of their own.

- Any octane booster sold in a clear plastic bottle won’t have any effect, or at least not the effect you are looking for.

- The OTC octane boosters that do work will contain a chemical called MMT, with one of the Ms standing for manganese. Be aware that burning manganese will leave behind deposits on the spark plugs that themselves could be a source of pre-detonation/knock if build-up is sufficient.

So no continued use, in other words (one bottle in a pinch is acceptable).

- The OTC octane boosters that work (the ones with MMT) are not technically legal for anything but off-road use. Doubtful this will ever be a problem for you, but I would be remiss making a list and not mentioning it.

- The OTC octane boosters that work (the ones with MMT) can only raise the effective octane level of your gas about 2-3 octane numbers at most. So if you have 87 in the tank, there isn’t an OTC octane booster that will make that gas satisfy the octane requirement set forth in the owner’s manual.

You may notice my repeated use of the OTC caveat. That was very perceptive of you. I specify that because there are some other octane boosters which are usually only available for online purchase which do not use MMT and which work very well to raise octane by significant amounts.

However, those are actually just race gas in a can, and mixing their extremely high octane with your low octane is how the raised octane numbers are achieved.

Autozone, Walmart, 7-11, etc. cannot sell gasoline on the shelf inside their stores, which is why you will not find this stuff anywhere but online or possibly at a local speed shop/hot rod joint.

Reactions: TwoOaks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
As above, just drive sane until the tank is empty and then fill with 93. Once full, smoke the F out of the tires just to break in the new octane.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
537 Posts
Take it easy, don’t rev the engine or slam your foot on the gas for the time being. Drive normally and let the 87 octane run about half a tank or below and then just fill up with 93.

Also, congrats on the car. When do you plan on showing us pics?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information/advice. Too little too late 🤦‍♂️ She seems to run good. Who governs the top speed on a race car at 138mph

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Thanks for the information/advice. Too little too late 🤦‍♂️ She seems to run good. Who governs the top speed on a race car at 138mph
The new Scat's will do 180 mph. Yours in limited to 138?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts