Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put about 100 miles on my 2016 R/T, and I don't recall seeing any indicator for MDS active. Doesn't feel or sound any different either. What's the deal?

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my 2016 scat pack, I only see it when the evic is set to fuel economy page, but I definitely notice the difference

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
My first thought would be that the previous owner disabled it with a handheld tuner or something. There isn’t an easy way to tell if the tune is not stock or has otherwise been modified though unless you take it to a dealership and they hood it up to their scanner and check it.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first thought would be that the previous owner disabled it with a handheld tuner or something. There isn’t an easy way to tell if the tune is not stock or has otherwise been modified though unless you take it to a dealership and they hood it up to their scanner and check it.
If I take it to a dealership, will they put it back to stock without my approval? I like the way it runs now.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
If I take it to a dealership, will they put it back to stock without my approval? I like the way it runs now.
That is possible but not likely. The most likely way that would play out, assuming it is a non-stock tune, is they would come to you and say, “are you aware the tune is not stock?” and then you could tell them to load the stock tune over that modified one if that’s what you wanted.

I have heard about folks taking their cars with a modified tune to the dealership for some unrelated service and the dealership overwrites that tune with the stock version without the customer’s knowledge or approval, but I believe that is the exception and not the norm.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is possible but not likely. The most likely way that would play out, assuming it is a non-stock tune, is they would come to you and say, “are you aware the tune is not stock?” and then you could tell them to load the stock tune over that modified one if that’s what you wanted.

I have heard about folks taking their cars with a modified tune to the dealership for some unrelated service and the dealership overwrites that tune with the stock version without the customer’s knowledge or approval, but I believe that is the exception and not the norm.
Understood. I'll make sure it's set to the "fuel economy" page to confirm MDS status.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Understood. I'll make sure it's set to the "fuel economy" page to confirm MDS status.
And make sure Sport mode isn’t active and the transmission is in regular D and not AutoStick, etc.

Reactions: Sweet Orange Hemi

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I've put about 100 miles on my 2016 R/T, and I don't recall seeing any indicator for MDS active. Doesn't feel or sound any different either. What's the deal?
Just to confirm, you don't have a manual, right.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
Just to confirm, you don't have a manual, right.
He can always download it from Dodge’s website if the original wasn’t in the glovebox when he got it...oh wait, n/m, disregard, DISREGARD!!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
Yes it should show an indicater but sounds like you dont want one so this thread is confusing.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just trying to find out if the MDS feature is working or not. I did some cruising (up to 85 MPH) but didn't notice any difference, nor did I notice a MDS ON indicator. I'd rather not use it, as I don't like the idea of extended wear on 4 cylinders. Seems like such a system should alternate between the other 4 cylinders.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
I'm just trying to find out if the MDS feature is working or not. I did some cruising (up to 85 MPH) but didn't notice any difference, nor did I notice a MDS ON indicator. I'd rather not use it, as I don't like the idea of extended wear on 4 cylinders. Seems like such a system should alternate between the other 4 cylinders.
Just an FYI - once you get above about 75mph, the MDS won't engage even if it's enabled and every other criterion is met. In order to keep the vehicle moving at that high of a speed, the amount of throttle required exceeds the threshold for disengaging the MDS when it is actively working.

Although, now that I think about it, that MPH ceiling I gave above is based on the NAG1's overdrive ratio in 5th. The ZF's overdrive ratio in 8th is going to be different obviously, but if it's got even more OD to it than the NAG1, that celing MPH figure will be higher than I noted.

Reactions: Sweet Orange Hemi

·
Registered
16,212 Posts
Dial up your fuel economy page in the display and will show 4 CYL when in MDS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Sound is noticeable, at slower speeds. On the highway, barely, but it almost feels like a lockup converter when it kicks in or out. On a totally flat long road, when it kicks in, you will see your instantaneous MPG go up by 2-3 MPG, or 10%ish.
It won't kick in in Sport mode, or in M mode, or when using the paddles. And if on the economy center gauge, I see the "4cyl" show up.
Edit - @Slidd beat me to it, as I typed.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

(y) I will check it out once I get the oil changed, new tires and coolant flushed/recharged.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just an FYI - once you get above about 75mph, the MDS won't engage even if it's enabled and every other criterion is met. In order to keep the vehicle moving at that high of a speed, the amount of throttle required exceeds the threshold for disengaging the MDS when it is actively working.

Although, now that I think about it, that MPH ceiling I gave above is based on the NAG1's overdrive ratio in 5th. The ZF's overdrive ratio in 8th is going to be different obviously, but if it's got even more OD to it than the NAG1, that celing MPH figure will be higher than I noted.
It works over 75 MPH. You must live in flat land country lol. I took a 500 mile round trip yesterday and dont think i was under 80 on most of it and it comes on when heading down a decline when hardly on the gas pedal at all.

My MPG was 23.5 doing 80-95 speeds. Mostly in the 80's. Got up to 104 very briefly.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Yes, that is where mine shows up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts