Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first oil change on the 2020 Scat Pack and saw this in the oil. Should I be worried? Not sure if this is normal or not
Gesture Wood Atmospheric phenomenon Tints and shades Twig
Plant Wood Rectangle Tree Concrete

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know it is normal to get some metal material from a brand new engine Especially during a break in period and first oil change. Shouldn’t be big pieces though. As long as the engine is not showing any issues as far as knocking or abnormal noises, I would say you are ok. I would definitely check again next oil change just to make sure there’s no further metal and showing signs of abnormal wear. I’m sure this happens a lot. But most people don’t check their old oil or what’s in the filter during a first oil change or others for that matter. They just dump it and refill.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Could be leftover filings from the manufacturing process. This is why a lot of people do the first oil change around 500-1000 miles, to get this crap out. I would give it 1 more oil change and if you continue to see it at the 3rd or later changes then I'd worry, you are still under warranty so make sure you don't do anything that would jeopardize that coverage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it is normal to get some metal material from a brand new engine Especially during a break in period and first oil change. Shouldn’t be big pieces though. As long as the engine is not showing any issues as far as knocking or abnormal noises, I would say you are ok. I would definitely check again next oil change just to make sure there’s no further metal and showing signs of abnormal wear. I’m sure this happens a lot. But most people don’t check their old oil or what’s in the filter during a first oil change or others for that matter. They just dump it and refill.
Thank you. Yes, the pieces all quite small with the biggest being a finger nail size while most were specs. No abnormal engine performance so far. I was really babying her so far so was just a little surprised to see. I will definitely check next oil change.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
289 Posts
Did my first oil change on the 2020 Scat Pack and saw this in the oil. Should I be worried? Not sure if this is normal or not
Pretty sure metal parts of any size should not come out of the oil pan under normal circumstances. I’m assuming that the drain pan was clean before you started so what’s there is from the engine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be leftover filings from the manufacturing process. This is why a lot of people do the first oil change around 500-1000 miles, to get this crap out. I would give it 1 more oil change and if you continue to see it at the 3rd or later changes then I'd worry, you are still under warranty so make sure you don't do anything that would jeopardize that coverage.
Yes I changed it at 6 months, 1,000 miles, took out of storage and did it.

Clean drain box

·
Registered
192 Posts
JesseRt made a good point. Could definitely also be left over filings when they milled the block and made it. Didn’t get it all out. So changing oil early is a good idea. I think you’ll be fine the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I'll suggest when you do your 3rd oil change you send a sample to Blackstone Labs. Their analysis will let you know what is and what isn't in the oil. I send in a sample every 3rd oil change which is about every 15,000 miles in my case.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
289 Posts
I would think that they keep things pretty clean when assembling engines. Everything is lubed when coming together and then the engine is filled with oil. I have a hard time believing that metal of that size would be left inside. Looking at the bits, it kind of looks like ring material but no way to tell. I’d put those in a clear bag and hold on to them. Maybe someone with some analytical equipment could run metal analysis?

Sounds like you will take good care of the engine but I sure wouldn’t baby it. Don’t do anything dumb but run it hard, really hard until the warranty runs out. If it’s a good engine, then it will be fine. If something is up with it, you want to know before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
I'm not at all an expert with Mopar engines but I have worked on a lot of vehicles and motorcycles in my overly long lifetime. I would be VERY concerned if I found ANY metal in the drain oil and especially that many good sized fragments!

I don't generally strain the drained oil unless I suspect that there is a serious wear issue. But I frequently disassemble the oil filters for a look, especially when draining the break in oil.

I'd definitely get your concerns on the record with the Dealer. Check to see if the particles respond to a magnet to get an idea of their composition. Black as in burned or black as in black plastic or black metal?

You might consider having the oil analyzed by a lab. Only costs ~$25 and they can tell you a lot about what's going on inside the motor. You will want to have a written report from an impartial, independent lab if this turns out to be a serious issue.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would think that they keep things pretty clean when assembling engines. Everything is lubed when coming together and then the engine is filled with oil. I have a hard time believing that metal of that size would be left inside. Looking at the bits, it kind of looks like ring material but no way to tell. I’d put those in a clear bag and hold on to them. Maybe someone with some analytical equipment could run metal analysis?

Sounds like you will take good care of the engine but I sure wouldn’t baby it. Don’t do anything dumb but run it hard, really hard until the warranty runs out. If it’s a good engine, then it will be fine. If something is up with it, you want to know before the warranty is up.
I work in automotive manufacturing as a Quality Technician, you would be surprised on how the best processes can miss things. It doesn't happen "often" considering the production volumes that are run nowadays but it happens. That's why there are warranties...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Will it stick to a magnet? Not unusual to have some flashing in 1st oil change, although usually a flake or two

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
853 Posts
I'm not at all an expert with Mopar engines but I have worked on a lot of vehicles and motorcycles in my overly long lifetime. I would be VERY concerned if I found ANY metal in the drain oil and especially that many good sized fragments!

I don't generally strain the drained oil unless I suspect that there is a serious wear issue. But I frequently disassemble the oil filters for a look, especially when draining the break in oil.

I'd definitely get your concerns on the record with the Dealer. Check to see if the particles respond to a magnet to get an idea of their composition. Black as in burned or black as in black plastic or black metal?

You might consider having the oil analyzed by a lab. Only costs ~$25 and they can tell you a lot about what's going on inside the motor. You will want to have a written report from an impartial, independent lab if this turns out to be a serious issue.

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be nothing serious!
best answer

·
Super Moderator
15,475 Posts
Since an average oil filter can catch particles down to 25 microns (0.00098425 inches) in size, I wonder why it did not catch these large metal particles unless it was clogged with debris?

It would have been interesting to see the filter element if you cut the filter in half.

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts
I wonder why the oil filter did not catch these metal particles unless it was clogged with debris?
ditto

That motor must be full of metal

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
Have encountered something similar before. Changed the oil at 750 miles in my new 2008 Cayman S. Filter housing oil was loaded with "metal", mostly aluminum -- block and heads were aluminum. Changed the oil/filter. Drove the car another 750 miles. Drained the oil. This time just a tiny "hint" of metal in the filter oil.

At 2K miles when I had the oil changed at the "end of break in" I had this done at the dealer. The tech and I didn't even bother to capture the oil.

In your case absent any sounds of distress from the engine, no CEL, engine not manifesting any untoward behavior, all you can do is just change the oil/filter and drive on.

If there is a problem, and I doubt it despite the presence of those metal bits, that's what the warranty is for.

Really it is not surprising. While you would think the engine would be clean after manufacturing AFAIK there is no real cleaning step.

(As an aside when I rebuilt engines I used a gun cleaning kit and a good solvent to clean every oil hole/passage. Then I went over the inside of the block with an air powered die grinder to remove any casting flash. 'course, I then washed the block with a good solvent to remove any grit the grinding of the block created. This engine cleaning process required considerable time.)

The cleanliness of the engine block, heads, and other large pieces like the crankshaft -- with its internal oil passages and ditto the cam -- is obtained from the use of high pressure coolant flow/spray which it is hoped will wash about any machining swarf.

It does. But not 100%.

What you see, what it looks like to me, is some bits of cast iron almost certainly left in the engine from the machining process.

These bits apparently flowed out with oil when the oil pan was drained. That they flowed out means they were not sucked up by the oil pump inlet tube. The bits remained in the pan. They have not gone through the oil pump so they came from the low pressure side of engine oil system. Probably stuck in a "cranny" in the block and were loosened and carried to the pan by the oil after it had left the engine bearing areas.

If you could remove every oil pan from every new engine after it has run some time almost certainly you would see something similar.

A long time ago my auto tech buddies told me unless absolutely necessary do not remove the oil pan of engine because of what I might find and be unnecessarily concerned with. I was also told it is not uncommon for metal bits to flow out with the manual transmission fluid or the diff at the at least first fluid service.

So just change the oil/filter. Then drive the car as you would normally do. It is extremely unlikely those are the precursors to any engine trouble.

And to put it bluntly the only way you would get the dealer's attention is if the engine manifested serious/unmistakable signs of a problem. Walk in and show the service department a few bits of metal that drained out of the pan will get you nowhere. Otherwise healthy engines are not torn down, or replaced under warranty, on a bit of metal such as you found.

I would not install a magnetic drain plug.

If you want next oil change with the engine up to temperature in a clean container catch a sample of the oil stream as it drains out of the pan. This sample wants to come from the middle of the oil drain flow. Not at the start or towards the end.

Send this sample to say Blackstone.

But before you do this you should probably contact Blackstone and get a sample bottle and instructions.

When I had a car engine oil sampled the tech had an oil analysis machine on site and had the proper sample bottle at hand and right after he obtained an oil sample inserted the sample bottle in the machine.

If the oil sample report comes back with elevated amounts of ferrous metal in the oil (or elevated amounts of "bearing" metal in the oil) then you can begin to worry.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
Since an average oil filter can catch particles down to 25 microns (0.00098425 inches) in size, I wonder why it did not catch these large metal particles unless it was clogged with debris?

It would have been interesting to see the filter element if you cut the filter in half.
The filter did not catch those bits because they were never picked up by the oil flow into the oil pump intake tube. That the bits drained out suggests there were located around the drain plug hole depression in the pan and never once made it through/under the baffling to be anywhere near the oil pump intake tube.

Had they been ingested by the oil pump the pump gears would have pulverized the bits into much smaller particles and these would have been blocked by the oil filter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts