Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i’m 21 with no muscle car experience. i’ve always admired the challenger and have been wanting one for a very long time now. i’m going to go look at cars this weekend to hopefully purchase mine. i know none of these cars are fuel efficient but v6 v v8 which one is better? which one do you guys recommend? wtf is the difference??

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
RT = 5.7L Hemi with 375hp and rear wheel drive
GT = 3.6L V6 with 305hp and all wheel drive

The RT is more of a true muscle car, V8, loud exhaust, rear wheel drive, pretty fast. The GT is also a great car, but has a little less power and much quieter exhaust. But it's also AWD which is nice if you need that.

IMO, I'd go with the RT unless you really need the AWD. They're both great cars, but it's hard to be the rumble of the Hemi V8.

·
Super Moderator
14,905 Posts
Neither engine is "better." It all depends what you want. Both the 3.6 V6 and 5.7 V8 engines are excellent. The 3.6 will give you better gas mileage while still providing good performance. However, if you want something faster with more torque, get the 5.7 Hemi.

The GT model has an all-wheel drive option and is ideal for owners who live in cold weather areas that get a lot of snow. However, you will get slightly less gas mileage than the SXT(see below).

The best way to decide what fits you is to test drive Challengers with both engines.

Here are the mileage and performance numbers for the SXT, GT and R/T.

SXT (3.6L)- 305 hp.

Mileage- 23 mpg. combined; 19 City/30 Hwy.
Performance- 0-60 mph= 6.3 sec.; 1/4 mile= 14.8 [email protected] mph

GT (3.6L)- 305 hp.

Mileage- 21 mpg. combined; 18 City/27 Hwy.
Performance- 0-60 mph= 6.3 sec.; 1/4 mile= 14.8 [email protected] mph

R/T (5.7L)- 375 hp.

Mileage- 19 mpg. combined; 16 City/25 Hwy.
Performance- 0-60 mph= 5.1 sec.; 1/4 mile= 13.7 [email protected] mph

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'll note that if you're looking at new cars the 019 GT also comes in 2wd as opposed to earlier years which were AWD only.

the manual 5.7 requires premium fuel unless that has changed.

The SXT/GT is not a muscle car in the usual sense. It's a good looking daily driver that you can have a lot of fun with. For model year 019 the SXT is the basic daily driver, last I looked there are no performance enhancements offered. The GT is the performance oriented version of the 3.6. Beyond the badge and new hood any prior year 15-18 SXT is going to do the same thing performance wise. The GT comes standard with the super track pack which was an option in prior years.

Regardless of SXT/GT/RT I wouldn't go any earlier than a 2015 version simply because of the new 8 speed automatic. I have a 013 SXT+ and I love it but I've test driven the 15 and up cars and the automatic transmission makes a world of difference.

There are LOTS of these cars available used and new so please research carefully and know what's available and what you really want / need before you buy. Lots of cases of buyers remorse in these pages. At age 21 you better check your insurance rates before you buy anything.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,276 Posts
there is kinda a rule for certain lil luxury/life purchases...
like sail boats, RV's, planes, generally get one larger than you think you want.
like woodsplitters, saws, tow vehicles, get one with more power than you think you need.
like motorcycles, houses, camping tents, buy the one you will grow into, not the one you will grow out of.

The R/T is going to get you a seat at the entry level muscle car table.
The GT's & SXTs are very nice, for a V6, they are more than capable, but they are not viewed nor perform the same as a 375hp rear wheel drive car with a ton of aftermarket support, simply because they are not targeted to the same buyer.
What I have noticed is, each trim level attracts a certain type of buyer. Its not a bad thing, I love all challengers, but when you see guys trading in 1 trim model for the next trim level up, its a sign they didnt stop and get/wait to afford the trim level/options/model they really wanted in the beginning.

Having said this..if your desire is a muscle/perf car, than buy the most you can affoard, be that an R/T, scat pack, a fully loaded SRT, or what have you. other than payment cringe, Ive never heard a car owner, complaining his/her car had too many nice, warm & fuzzy options to enjoy.
If its a commuter with tons of style, lower insurance rates (< at your age , this maybe the biggest factor in your buying decision), better safety, less prone to tickets, theft, etc.. the SXT or GT line up is a sure win.
Good luck with whatever path you take.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I agree with hemi4us. I sold bass boats as a manufacturer's rep for 17 years. I worked more boat shows with my dealers than I care to remember. In high performance bass boats, the 2 important qualities are speed and handling. In those 17 years I NEVER heard a customer comment they had purchased their boat with the largest legal outboard and wished they hadn't gotten such a large engine. But, I couldn't begin to count the number of folks I talked with that complained they had bought a smaller engine (say a 150 hp instead of a 200 hp), now wished they had got the max but the trade-in hit was now too much for their wallet.

I bought my '13 R/T in April, 2017, used because I wanted to own my car and not have it own me. Both the year and the engine choice were strictly because of financial considerations. I could have gone with a new 2017 SRT; but, I didn't want to damage our budget that badly. You simply need to set your priorities (intended use/cost/local climate) to determine what you can/will buy. Don't allow anyone else to tell you what you should, or shouldn't, do other than to suggest you use sound financial judgment.

Good luck with the test drives.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You may also want to look into insurance cost differences. Being a young person, insurance may be a lot more for a V8 vehcile vs a V6 vehicle. Apparently, from what I've learned on this forum, it's not much of a difference for older folks with clean driving records, but for example, there is a young guy on YouTube (I think he was 17) that went from a V6 Challenger to a Hellcat - and his insurance went from $250 per month to $800 per month - JUST FOR INSURANCE! Granted, that is a 700hp Hellcat V8, but still - I would check insurance costs before making a decision either way. A V8 Challenger will do you no good if you can't afford to insure it. :)

I personally went for a GT since I wanted the AWD capability. A 305hp V6 is plenty for me and my driving habits (my other car is also a 300hp V6) - actually, 300hp is more than enough for me. I don't ever race in my cars or fly around - it's a daily driver - and a very comfortable one at that. I just like the styling of the Challenger - and the AWD functionality.

But like has been mentioned above, only YOU can decide which is best for you and your situation. Let us know which way you go!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I bought my first camaro when I was in my mid 20’s and was just happy to get the car. I loved it for 4 years but I was jealous of everyone with the fancy hoods, V8 exhaust sound and everything else. I made another mistake and bought a 2017 V6 and lost my butt getting my 2019 scat but it’s worth it. I guess what I’m saying is that if you truly love muscle cars, you’re going to want the V8 someday. Don’t fool yourself, everyone with the V6 is happy and wants to make the best of it but 99% of the time they’re looking for ways to improve the sound and performance. Just my 2 cents. If you get the V8 you won’t have anything to regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
Well, both the SXT and GT can be had in RWD (default), or AWD (Option) now, so a GT isn't necessarily AWD :)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Well, both the SXT and GT can be had in RWD (default), or AWD (Option) now, so a GT isn't necessarily AWD :)

A Guy
Not so sure why Dodge did that. I mean the GT and SXT are so close to each other now. In my opinion, they should have just dropped the GT completely since you can now get AWD on the SXT. Having a AWD and a RWD GT is just going to cause confusion. Before - it was easy - GT was AWD and SXT was RWD. Made sense to have two separate models because of that.

Couldn't a SXT and a GT now be the exact same car since they can both be either RWD or AWD? What really makes them different now? Just "standard" options?

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Not so sure why Dodge did that. I mean the GT and SXT are so close to each other now. In my opinion, they should have just dropped the GT completely since you can now get AWD on the SXT. Having a AWD and a RWD GT is just going to cause confusion. Before - it was easy - GT was AWD and SXT was RWD. Made sense to have two separate models because of that.

Couldn't a SXT and a GT now be the exact same car since they can both be either RWD or AWD? What really makes them different now? Just "standard" options?
They can market the rear wheel drive GT as a performance V6 model where the SXT is your entry level base car. You can get the Performance Handling Group on the RWD GT so you've got a V6 with Brembos and a limited slip rear end and doubt you'd ever see that on an SXT. They're eventually going to do something with this engine lineup and a turbo 6 is probably in the mix so a GT that could run with the current 5.7L now or better I'll bet is something they are looking at.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Registered
716 Posts
Had an RT Plus before my current 6.4 and I can tell you the gas mileage is pretty darn good on that 5.7! Much better than the 6.4. It surprised me how good the gas mileage was out of the 5.7. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
They can market the rear wheel drive GT as a performance V6 model where the SXT is your entry level base car. You can get the Performance Handling Group on the RWD GT so you've got a V6 with Brembos and a limited slip rear end and doubt you'd ever see that on an SXT. They're eventually going to do something with this engine lineup and a turbo 6 is probably in the mix so a GT that could run with the current 5.7L now or better I'll bet is something they are looking at.

Ok, that makes sense. Sound like maybe they are going to turn the GT into a completely differernt car than what it originally started out as. Honestly, I always thought "GT" was a bad name for the AWD version of the SXT. Usually, "GT" is for the higher-performance model of a car (such as Mustang GT) - but that really wasn't the case at all for the original GT (2017/2018).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the 2017/2018 GT was just as SXT with all-wheel-drive? I think the brakes are a *little* better as well (vented rear rotors vs solid), but other than that, they are almost identical, aren't they?

Just trying to learn a little more about the "GT" model that I own (2018). :)

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
GT has the R/T sized brakes, the SXT would get the same brakes when equipped with 20-inch wheels.

I think they'll keep both GT versions around and when the new turbo 6 comes out, they will push the GT as the new mid priced performance coupe. You know the turbo 6 is coming one day and it will probably run like hell.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I look forward to the turbo V6. I wish more cars used them. I think a turbo V6 in a Challenger would be awesome.

Then again, I've never actually owned a turbo - so I'm not exactly sure what the "cons" are. I know that they are generally expensive to fix, but other than that, are there really any "cons" to a turbo vehicle?

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Only cons are letting the engine oil warm up a bit before getting on it and letting it spool down before shutting it off. That turbo spins at some serious rpms so need to make sure it's taken care of and always has plenty of clean oil. I remember the Turbo Trans Am had a big sticker under the hood saying 3 month or 3,000 mile oil changes were required and specified the type of oil. So a little more to think about but not bad, the new car probably won't have the 3,000 mile requirement but still something to think about if your pushing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hemi4us nailed it. I had a 2013 SXT which averaged about 25 mpg. It was a good car with plenty of power but wished I had an R/T. There is not a big difference in fuel mileage but a huge difference in sound and torque. I live in Ohio and currently own a 17 Scat Pack M6. I run snow tires in the winter which I have found for me is more important than awd.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a new boat last year and regret not getting a larger motor with it now. I should have listened to the adage "buy your last boat first". So when it came time to replace my 5th gen V6 Camaro this year, I was determined to not make the same mistake again and ended up with a new T/A 392. I absolutely love the power and torque of the 6.4 Hemi and can't imagine ever needing more for regular street driving. Yet I still occasionally find myself wondering if maybe a low mileage Hellcat would have been a better purchase. I guess the point is, you never wish you had a slower, less powerful car - and most of us always kind of wish we had more...

·
Registered
716 Posts
I bought a new boat last year and regret not getting a larger motor with it now. I should have listened to the adage "buy your last boat first". So when it came time to replace my 5th gen V6 Camaro this year, I was determined to not make the same mistake again and ended up with a new T/A 392. I absolutely love the power and torque of the 6.4 Hemi and can't imagine ever needing more for regular street driving. Yet I still occasionally find myself wondering if maybe a low mileage Hellcat would have been a better purchase. I guess the point is, you never wish you had a slower, less powerful car - and most of us always kind of wish we had more...
So true. Once you get familiar with the power - your always looking for more! Just a disease we all have in common.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I first was looking at Challengers, I asked to test drive an R/T. The sales guy went to the back lot and drove up with a Challenger that we both thought was an R/T. I test drove it and it was ok, but not too impressed with the torque and acceleration. It was sort of average, and I was expecting more from a V8 Hemi. ( I was test driving a Mustang Ecoboost and V6 Camaro earlier and it was more or less the same experience but I wanted that V8 rumble and power that was in my price range). As I was leaving, the sales guy said, Oh, wait, I pulled up the wrong car. Came back with a manual R/T. I definitely felt the difference and it put a grin on my face unlike my experience with the 3.6. I bought it that day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts