Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just waiting for my new Challenger to be transferred to my dealer so that I can go in and sign the papers and pick it up. I'm thinking that the dealer will probably give me a hard sell for an extended warranty so I better get prepared. I have no idea how much it will cost and whether or not it is worth it. Can you guys offer some advice and give me an idea of what a fair price would be. Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is your call as to whether you think it is worth the $. A lot of these Extended Warranties can be had for far less money than the saleman will tell you.
If you plan on modifying your car, i.e. nitrous, supercharger, turbocharger, etc. then forget the extended warranty as they will likely not honor a major engine repair.

Anyone else have insight on extended warranty issues?

·
Registered
988 Posts
It depends on the cost of the EW, how long you plan on keeping the car, who/whom holds the warranty papers (Chrylser or 3rd party) and what happens if Chrylser goes down the tubes again, 3 times and your out.

That being said I got a Life Time Tier 2 version for $1,700. Sounds like a lot. But, the PT Cruiser I sold to buy the Challenger was 9 years old. The other new car I had was a 1984 Monte Carlo SS and it was 14 years old when my wife totaled it. Now consider the cost of the EW back when I bought both cars and what I had repaired I would have probably been money ahead only if they had been LIFE TIME and administered by the OEM.

A 5 year EW is a waste of your money in has most cases as the paper is held by an ins company and the have all kinds of outs. I am sure that Chrysler has "oh by the way..." clause or 2.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
well I got one for mine, I bought it used with 33,400 miles on it and by the time I got it home from the trip of picking it up it had 35,600 miles. so when I got to 50 miles to go I bought one. with these cars as complicated as they are with the computers and stuff I need some insurance that if anything went wrong, I would have a problem with getting it fixed. so I went to my dealer and he figured one up for me that will cover another 3 years - -45,000 miles. Through Ally which is also where the car is financed. this cost me $1300 and it is a $100 deductable. So if I blow a tranny or something it will only cost me $100. not to say that I am going to tear anything up, but just feel better that if something major happens, it will be taken care of. I am good now till 81,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
IMO, buying an extended warranty at the same time you buy the car is useless as the warranty doesn't kick in until the factory warranty runs out. If I were ever to buy one, which I haven't, it would be years down the road and only if the car was showing signs of trouble in which case I'd probably sell the car.

Companies don't warranty things that are LIKELY to break. There are many exclusions in them and ways to avoid paying. Next to new car dealerships I consider extended warranty issuers some of the shadiest businesses around. Do some research on how many go out of business or don't pay. As you can see I'm not a fan of extended warranties.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Huge ripoff generally. I had a friend that was a finance manager and he told me that they were the biggest profit item in the dealership. He wrote mine up for $100 when the going rate was $1200 as that was his cost.

That said, I was at a moment of weakness trying to get out of the dealership with my car and got one on mine which I will never use. I never do this, but I let the guy get to me and I am still pissed at myself for letting him.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Some dealerships will offer a lifetime warranty for over 3000 bucks or something. At least they offered me that when I bought my car. Didn't take since I love modding my cars and the challenger will be no exception. You have to remember that it does not include general maintenance, and at 250,000 miles, when the engine needs a overhaul, it is general maintenance to them.

Also remember that dealerships will do anything to get out of warranty issues. So be careful with what you mod with. Use only mopar parts, if you do any, otherwise they will try anything in their power to blame the after-market part, even with the Magnuson-moss warranty act.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
my dealer, doesn't turn down warranty work. service manager told me that sometimes that is the only way they can make money is through warranty work, and if that is all they got , they will take it.

thing is I didnt have the pleasure of having that first 36,000 miles under warranty.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Buying an extended warranty at the time of sale is usually not a good idea. Just say no. The warranty is the same price up to 12 months/12K miles after the sale.

There are some online offers from Chrysler dealers that offer the plans at a discount; you should check into those.

Frankly, I'm going to drive my car for about 11 months and see what the service trends are during that time. I've also got to decide if I think I'll be keeping the car past 36 months.

Some other thoughts:

Don't buy an extended warranty from an independent source other than Chrysler.
Don't buy an extended warranty if you don't plan on keeping very detailed records of scheduled maintenance, or having it all done at a Dodge dealership.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you are planning to keep the car and not doing any kind of serious mods, then go for the extended warranty. I have a seven year warranty on mine. Shop around and do some wheeling and dealing with them and you can get a good price. I have always made my money back on all the EW'S I've had. Also, I've found that things start to crap out on you shortly after the factory warranty expires. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Kind of off topic but still related, be carful of buying an extended warranty through an "exclusive" dealership. Many years ago a good friend of mine did that with a BMW. He got a bumper to bumper extended warranty that covered it all. However when the selling dealership went bankrupt he was hosed. Even BMW of North America said they sympathized with his dilemma but that there was nothing they could do for him. After that reaction he began referring to his BMW as a" Big Money Waster". I really couldn't blame him on that one, he was pissed and rightly so.
Basically, I think they're (EW's) are a good thing because these cars are very technologically advanced, you'll need some help if any of those things go out. But honestly, I think the sole determiner should be how many miles you're going to drive your car. Is your new car going to be a daily driver or is it a 2nd or 3rd car that you only take out when the weather's nice ie: drive selectively? If its the latter, I don't think an extended warranty makes a lot of sense. Still the best offense is a good defense!
Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
All very valid points about extensive mods, the how long you will keep it is a good one to consider. I bought the Chrysler Extended Life Time No Mileage or Year limitation only 100 deductible it was only $900 more than the longest mileage and year warranty but the Lifetime is non transferable. I plan to keep my car for as long as I can still push the clutch in and will do only minor cosmetic mods, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Clarify it is the Chrysler Warranty I purchased. One main reason i opted for Life Time at most put 2000 to 3000 miles per year on, it is now been stored since 11/1 only have 800 in 6 Months. Will never have enough real experience in the 3 year 36000 mile Original Warranty to know if anything will go wrong, probably wont be until 5-7 years down the road at which time will probably only have 10,000 - 12,000 miles. My wifes 2008 Grand Caravan has 56,000 and did purchase the 3 year 72,000 mile warranty hence when the new car expired at 36,000 miles the problems also started coming in, New AC, New Alternator, New Power Steering Twice ... paid $2,000 for the E-W saved $3,815 in repairs, this one paid off and then some...

·
Registered
304 Posts
thanks for the advice.

Thanks for all the good advice here on extended Chrysler warranties.

I have a new, 2012 Challenger, and will likely buy the lifetime max care extended warranty as:

1) I do service my vehicles at the Dodge Dealership (I have taken my '96 Voyager there since day 1 and they provide good service). I will in addition keep a folder with every service receipt and keep the service record log updated.

2) I keep my vehicles for a long time as evidenced by the above mentioned Voyager and our '86 Dodge 4-cylinder pickup (which is on it's last legs).

3) We will not be putting too many miles on the Challenger within the first 3 years, it's likely to see more use once my daughters (in 9th and 10th grade) are out of school and my wife and I have more alone driving time. Thus the first 3 (or even 5) years may expire with low mileage on the car.

4) The cost for the lifetime powertrain with max care is 10% or less of the cost of the vehicle (depending on how it is bought). I think an extra 10% is worth the peace-of-mind.

5) I plan on keeping the Challenger stock --- as I've read through some of the 'voiding warranty' threads with mods.

So, next steps, I need to find out all that is covered (and what is not covered) in the Chrysler warranty. Then, I'd prefer to buy from my local dealer, I like to keep money in my community when possible. so I'll take the advice to print out the quote from chryslerwarrantys.com and see if they will come close to it in price.

I already talked to them about the extended warranty yesterday and they printed out their asking cost. BTW, they do not sell many of them it seems in my neck of the woods. The fella I talked too was not aware of the lifetime powertrain warranty option, he thought it had ended a few years back, but he looked it up for me and there it was on his computer. If i had not been using the Dealer for the past 15 years it may have been a red flag, but they have done good by me over the years.

-Shawn

·
Registered
242 Posts
I rarely buy extended warranties on anything - my logic is that the manufacturer has a better idea statistically what will happen than I do. I believe that you may win or lose on an individual item, but in the long run never buying a warranty will be cheaper.
However - when I bought my car I negotiated pretty hard. They made a lot of concessions, and they (of course) wanted me to buy the warranty so they could make a profit on it. Bottom line is that I ended up getting the deal I wanted, with the warranty, so now I have it. I'm not sorry I have it, but would not have spent the $$ on it except for the deal I got.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my car, I declined to purchase the warranty.
After 3 weeks of driving it, I decided I want to own this car a long time.
So I went back and got it.
Hopefully I won't use it much, but I am happy to know it will be there if I need it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought a 7 year bumper to bumper Chrysler contract. After the 7 years if you haven't used it you get a refund. It was around 1500, and very comprehensive.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2 yr old SRT8 Challenger which needs a clutch... Dodge will not cover such beyond 1 year, and now I have a 1500 dollar repair on my hands! They claim it is normal wear and tear, and trips to the drag strip for 14 second quarter miles are not considered normal driving. My car is faster than I push it, I baby the car, and the clutch wore prematurely... I am 50 yrs old, have been driving a clutch since 17 yrs old, and do truly know how to spare clutch material. So... beware of the small print on any warranty, especially if you plan to "exercise" the car. I find it amazing that the SRT engineers can promote hard driving, and then restrict their customer's warranty if they do what the car was designed to do.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No. Don't buy it. Save that "premium" money - what is it, $3000? Set that amount aside and pay a bill DOWN THE ROAD if you get one. They don't cover normal wear and tear on the timing belt so that was a deal breaker. What's the point?

Case in point, on my 2005 Honda Odyssey, the timing belt was "due" for replacement after 7 years of ownership...Paid the bill for replacement $1400 (including other engine work) and called it a day. Between that and my 2000 Subaru Legacy, both have been the best damn vehicles I have ever owned. Will the 2012 Challenger make the grade? Not sure. But the factory warranty is fine by me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts