Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently the owner of a 2003 Chevy Tahoe (94,000) and looking to trade in. A few of my buddies heard about my desire to get into a challenger. They seam to feel that if I don't get a hemi I shouldn't get it at all. A hemi will change the price drastically, I'm looking at SE's. 2010 base model manufactures price at 23,000 or so, RT's and SRT8's are way out of my price range.

I'm not a car buff but, I love the challenger (muscle car) look. From what I've researched, these cars are made to be modified. I've seen post that explain how and what to add to a V-6 engine to give it that "rumble". I know that it is insanely expensive to swap V-6 for a V-8 engine but, some feel that you can make a V-6 more powerful. As far as exterior work, a few grand can have your challenger looking mean. I'll throw money into a car but, at my own pace. I don't want to pay 500 per month anymore as was the case with my Tahoe, your locked in

At the end of the day...I'm not a race boy nor am I a muscle car buff but, I'm simply in love with the challenger!
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
197 Posts
You need to test drive the cars if you haven't yet done so. Many are perfectly happy with the SE, but some have traded up. Only YOU can decide which to buy. Test drive at least the SE and see if it has enough oomph for you. Don't decide what to buy based on what others say - only your opinion counts when you are the one doing the purchasing. Good luck! :)

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's all in your wants. Our son has a SE and is thrilled with it but I NEEDED a V8 2 door and the Challenger was the only REAL one of those left. There are people on here saying they wanted the Himi after buying the SE and a few even lost all the money of tradeing in a car less than a year old for a RT. Good Luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Buy for yourself, don't worry about what people think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to test drive the cars if you haven't yet done so. Many are perfectly happy with the SE, but some have traded up. Only YOU can decide which to buy. Test drive at least the SE and see if it has enough oomph for you. Don't decide what to buy based on what others say - only your opinion counts when you are the one doing the purchasing. Good luck! :)
Thanks, yeah I test drove the SE, my Tahoe is a V8. I felt a lil less power but, it was rainng and I didnt want to do anything stupid. I'm not done testing tho

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Test drive at least the R/T also and if it doesn't grab you then you should be fine with the SE.
If it does grab you, maybe you could get a deal on a low mileage used R/T?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think you would be happy with the 2011 SE as it has good Horsepower now.......... 305 I think which is pretty decent.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well if you get an SE you should wait and get a 2011 cause it will have 300 HP.

There will be little difference if you buy a 2010 now vs a 2011 this time next year while saving a few bucks on the side.

Personally I love the V8 rumble sound. The supercharged V6 I had in my 05 Monte Carlo SS was nice, a great riding car and pretty quick but it didn't have that V8 rumble.

If you like it cause it's a muscle car, I think your gonna want the rumble.

If you still want an SE, the sales rep that sold me my RT is selling his. He says he can't stand not having a V8.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Buy for yourself, don't worry about what people think.
Basically what he said, they aren't the ones making the payment on it. But I would look into getting an 2011 SE, a little bit bigger V6 with 50hp more than the old 3.5. Plus you get dual exhaust with it also.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Basically what he said, they aren't the ones making the payment on it. But I would look into getting an 2011 SE, a little bit bigger V6 with 50hp more than the old 3.5. Plus you get dual exhaust with it also.

i agree ... but then again the Tahoe is a heavy truck and any car will feel faster/quicker. i went from a lifted 4x4 HEMI Ram to an SRT8 Challenger, talk about night and day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot guy!!!!

If I hold on tight with eyes open I'll probably find an 2010 RT. Good points, I do want the sound as well as the look. If people are actually trying to go from SE to RT...that says something

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
I bought a used R/T recently. I really didn't consider an SE. I drove one but really knew I was gonna get at least an R/T if not an SRT. If you can afford a used R/T that might be a good way to go but the SE is nothing to be ashamed of. $$ is a huge decideing factor. Get what you can comfortably afford. The challenger is a muscle car....is nice to flex some muscle.....but its not an absolute nessesity. You'll get plenty of looks and compliments.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have seen where people have bought a new RT in the $28000 range. Some of the V-6's cost almost that much and more. If it were me, I would looking at all options. Even slightly used as someone else here suggested. I would rather have an RT, for one thing, because I have seen numerous instances where the 5.7 Hemi with MDS got better mileage than the V-6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have seen where people have bought a new RT in the $28000 range. Some of the V-6's cost almost that much and more. If it were me, I would looking at all options. Even slightly used as someone else here suggested. I would rather have an RT, for one thing, because I have seen numerous instances where the 5.7 Hemi with MDS got better mileage than the V-6.
Your right. After all the responses and not to mention all the research I've been doing on prices, I'll wait till the end of 2011. At that point I'm positive that I can find an 2010 RT between $23-26,000

I'll probably use Carmax and use the nationwide search if needed. They charge about $1000 to bring back to San Diego. It gives me time to get together a decent cash down payment to go with my 03 Tahoe trade in

I really appreciate the replies, they helped tremendously

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the best Challenger Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the Admin/Moderators.

Also, please be sure to read General Forum Rules - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Thanks for joining our forum, please enjoy and we look forward to your participation. :bigthumb:

I would say go for it and enjoy yourself they are a very well built car and you won't see yourself at every traffic light. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts