Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Viper 5902 alarm and a few add ons. Quoted 450 for an install with the extras. This is the one with the remote start. Wanted to update you guys because they said that it is safe to have this with an auto start on a 6 speed. It is hooked up so the car wont auto start unless its in neutral.

I dont think my car has an alarm. It locks and unlocks via the fob but I can hit the lock botton and reach in through the down window to open the door. Nothing goes off? Do the Challengers not come with an alarm? I had alarms on my other cars bc they were easy to hot wire. The Challengers are hard to hot wire. My theory is the 450 install could be spent on a sub. I think they will use a tow truck to steal it or smash and grab no matter how many sirens I put on.

Pro is that if I put it in the HD remote will page me up to a mile away to let me know there is a problem. I park it in some rough areas a couple times per week. Right now you could smash the window and I dont think any alarm will sound.

Should I install the alarm or not?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im curious as to if our challengers have alarms as well. I would want to install something like this too, but I dont have the answer for you. Subscribing for now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alarm tech told me that they are extremly hard to hot wire and would take an expert with tools a day to get one started. My concern is that it wont make any noise if someone smashes it or attempts to take parts off it. I dont think they have any type of alarm since I tried the various things and nothing set off an alarm.

I like the Viper 5902 and got one on ebay for 300.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the 5902 on my car with the remote start and I have a 6spd as well. My installer did the same with the safety for the remote start you will love it. I got my alarm and the install for around $400, I bought the smart start later on and he installed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 5902 on my car with the remote start and I have a 6spd as well. My installer did the same with the safety for the remote start you will love it. I got my alarm and the install for around $400, I bought the smart start later on and he installed
Is there any chance your car can drive away if its in gear and you push the auto start button? Where did you get the 5902 system?

·
Registered
607 Posts
So I guess Viper makes some good stuff. Anything under $400?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A little knowledge of something is a good thing...

Unless you have the EVIC option there's no alarm installed... no blinking red light on the dash when locked or hood pin in the rear passenger corner of the engine bay - inside the triangle screened area.

All one needs is a Can Bus Digital Data Interface Bypass Module Lessco: Car Audio, Speakers, LCD Video, Keyless Entry, Remote Start, Alarm, Security System, GPS (example unit) installed onto two twisted canbus wires to communicate with the electronics in the vehicle. I did mine in less than 15 minutes for a automatic trans model. This little box (1.5" X 2") allows you to attach any alarm to it.

The Can Bus Interface listens to the cars live data link for - open door, open trunk and can talk to the cars' electronics - unlock door or open trunk. If you need more advance warning then get a 2-way pager system and then add to the alarm sensors like radar proximity or extra shock sensors like I did.

The hardest part is just hooking up the alarm power/ground. Running one main power wire to the rear lighter in the arm rest - one accessory power wire to the front lighter in console (to sense when key is on or off) ... one wire for a ground and that's it. Any good shop can do it all in 20 minutes for complete install and in some instances they have to sit around so they can at least charge you for one hour of labor or more - there's stories from shops chatting about how easy it is to install these new systems on the net.

If you need more info - search my postings on this forum on installing an aftermarket alarm (did mine for under $170 with 1 mile notification, proximity radar = touch glass or stick hand inside car window and it goes off, & extra shock sensors = touch it or key it and the alarm goes off or just notifies the key fob so I can walk up on their butts).

·
Registered
826 Posts
Is there any chance your car can drive away if its in gear and you push the auto start button? Where did you get the 5902 system?
Not a chance it will not start if it's in gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts