Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i bought this 19’ scat pack widebody a while back and i’m wondering if i should take out the cats and replace with a straight pipe? i have the mid mufflers out and i’m planning on taking the rear mufflers out as well with the cats. if i remove the cats will it also throw a code and make me lose power like a limp mode? i’m just looking for the loudness of it for cheap

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,580 Posts
Is that IQ?

A Guy :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Honestly the cats (or lack there of) do not increase the volume level that much. If you are leaving the exhaust stock otherwise (no headers) it’s not worth the tuning effort/cost (or the other work arounds). You wont pass most smog inspections if that’s a concern.

Yes it’ll code.

To each their own, one my cars is catless but it also is essentially open header.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Today most cats flow pretty efficiently nd really don't do much to restrict either the HP or the sound.

I'd be more concerned with your state regulations, so it would not be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,762 Posts
I wouldn’t do it! I think the exhaust note that these cars possess out of the factory is sweet. It will make it difficult to sell if you choose down the road.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,805 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,467 Posts
Hey guys i bought this 19’ scat pack widebody a while back and i’m wondering if i should take out the cats and replace with a straight pipe? i have the mid mufflers out and i’m planning on taking the rear mufflers out as well with the cats. if i remove the cats will it also throw a code and make me lose power like a limp mode? i’m just looking for the loudness of it for cheap
Loudness may not come for cheap. There can be a price paid.

Loud drag pipes on my Harley cost me some hearing in my right ear.

Exposure to noise is accumulative. My advice would be leave the exhaust alone.

Both my Hellcat and my Scat Pack were stock including the exhaust and around town or when driving easy were relatively quiet. Under hard acceleration there was plenty of noise to go around.

The engine is tuned to fuel the engine in part based on what the converters are doing -- as indicated by the #2 O2 sensor voltage readings.

Unless you are prepared to put in a tune that eliminates the taking into account the feedback from the #2 O2 sensors and yet provide the same performance, fuel mileage, and tractability the factory setup delivers my advice is leave things alone.

BTW, removing the converters is in violation of federal laws the makes it a crime to modify the emissions system on your car. While I have not come across any signs of a "crack down" on this type of illegal activity any mods you make my advice is to be sure you can undo them and can install the factory hardware.

·
Registered
2011 SE/SXT
932 Posts
Few months ago seen a Kids Mustang get smashed by an Ambulance cause the kid could not hear the Ambulance from the ridiculous loud exhaust system.
His car sounded very healthy but he got hurt pretty bad and others who also got hurt. A nice roar is cool but as mentioned by Rockster
there can be many types of cost.

Many Exhaust shops wont do certain mods for a Street Car because they can get in trouble for violating Local and Federal Laws on that.

Ultimately it's your call to do as you wish how ever you said a 19 by removing and bypassing the O2's your Warranty is Toilet Paper as well.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,026 Posts
Smart move is cut the pipe just aft of cat, will be loud. Just watch TV, been doing it for years....................um exhaust cut outs before U where hatched.

·
Read Only
2019 Challenger R/T Plus Manual
0 Posts
I wouldn’t do it! I think the exhaust note that these cars possess out of the factory is sweet. It will make it difficult to sell if you choose down the road.
Never sell your challenger!

Loudness may not come for cheap. There can be a price paid.

Loud drag pipes on my Harley cost me some hearing in my right ear.

Exposure to noise is accumulative. My advice would be leave the exhaust alone.

Both my Hellcat and my Scat Pack were stock including the exhaust and around town or when driving easy were relatively quiet. Under hard acceleration there was plenty of noise to go around.

The engine is tuned to fuel the engine in part based on what the converters are doing -- as indicated by the #2 O2 sensor voltage readings.

Unless you are prepared to put in a tune that eliminates the taking into account the feedback from the #2 O2 sensors and yet provide the same performance, fuel mileage, and tractability the factory setup delivers my advice is leave things alone.

BTW, removing the converters is in violation of federal laws the makes it a crime to modify the emissions system on your car. While I have not come across any signs of a "crack down" on this type of illegal activity any mods you make my advice is to be sure you can undo them and can install the factory hardware.
Feds can suck it and so can emissions dont try using scare tactics to stop people from doing what they want. Unless your just another elon musk. 🙄

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Feds can suck it and so can emissions dont try using scare tactics to stop people from doing what they want. Unless your just another elon musk. 🙄
Oh good grief. Another entitled brat. If you drive your catless vehicle past my house can I drive past yours and toss some trash into your front yard? Asking in case I decide I no longer want to obey anti littering laws.

Not scare tactics just passing on what is not often commonly known. Tampering with any emissions related hardware on the car is in violation of federal law. But I have not heard of any private vehicle owner being brought to task for this. I seem to recall a business got hammered with a fine for offering a "tune" which IIRC (among other things) resulted in the diesel engine emitting copious amounts of black exhaust (soot).

So you can chose to break the law with no (likely) fear of consequences from the feds.

And I wish I had known about how loud noise can affect over time hearing.

·
Read Only
2019 Challenger R/T Plus Manual
0 Posts
Your car is gorgeous btw and I would just buy some hooker black heart headers with the exhaust kit. That'll give it one hell of a rumble. **** anyone who talks shit its your car dude.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,384 Posts
I would think removing the cats will void any emissions related warranty, if not the entire engine warranty. A potentially pricey gamble.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
639 Posts
Not only a code but id think it wouldnt pass a smog test if you live in a state that requires it. Id leave them on.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I would think removing the cats will void any emissions related warranty, if not the entire engine warranty. A potentially pricey gamble.
From my 2020 Scat Pack warranty book under "Other Exclusions":

Any changes made to your vehicle that don’t comply with FCA US LLC.

Pretty sure removing the converters doesn't comply with FCA US LLC.

In the owners manual under the "Servicing and Maintenance", "Exhaust Systems" section:

Intentional tampering with emissions control systems can result in civil penalties being assessed against you.

If one is building an engine for track/off road use he can pretty much build it anyway he wants staying within the rules/regulations of the sanctioning organization.

For highway use the converters should stay on. There are exceptions. Some vehicles can qualify for an exclusion provided usage is kept below some (IIRC) few thousand miles a year.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,026 Posts
The gain is not worth the legal issues and YES U can be ticketed on the spot in most states running no cats.

yes they look under the car, federal law to have them.

FROM the guy who bought and SOLD cat delete test pipes back in the day !!! Worth a GOLD mine if U can find NOS ones !!! No BS look it up !!! Had a barrel of them in the speed shop !!

Reactions: jmac65
1 - 20 of 27 Posts