Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got the R/T a little over a month ago. The Stock exhaust is good. I want that loud roar. Will removing the resonators and straight piping it be a good idea? My local muffler shop is quoting me $85 for the work ? Any advice fellas? :)

2014 R/T Redline
Southern California

·
Registered
57 Posts
It will be a little louder. Some people complain that the drone gets annoying afterwards. I was worried I'd get tired of it so I bought two manual cutouts from Summit for $60 and clamped them in right before the resonators. It's louder now and if I get tired of it I can cap them back off. I have an auto and it sounds like my brothers srt8 Charger but a little louder.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion on this. It will make it louder, did it on a Hemi Charger and he loves it. Not too loud though. To get that roar you need a performance exhaust. I have a Magna Flow System on mine and sounds like a beast when I get on it. But when the MDS kicks in, it sounds like crap. Either need to get a tuner and kill it, or always drive in slap stick mode. Hope this helps...

Reactions: burneeey

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are a couple videos on YouTube that you can watch/listen to. I asked myself the same question for my car. I think I'm going to go with magnaflow mufflers and straight pipe the resonators.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have straight pipe from cats back to flowmaster super 44s at the rear bumper with my stock RT tips on and it's sure enough loud, but the drone is quite a bit worse. It's not too bad cruising around town being a 6 speed, but out on the highway it's pretty hard to ignore. Very aggressive but clean sound though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I removed the Cats, resinators and did the pipe out back, with super 44s as mufflers.
Was a little raspy to me so I did glass packs out back, having them remove the pipe. That was nice muscle car old school sound IMO
Supper 44s with glasspacks out back.

However, I just went and installed the Stock SRT exhaust pipe and resinators last week. Still no cats
It hushed it up alot, more factory while at cruze speed, but when wot it louder than one would think. Like it so far.
FT

·
Banned
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Regarding drone, I did this on my auto RT and the drone was unbearable on the highway. Enough to give u a headache after a bit. Read a lot of people saying that manual doesn't have the drone problems with resonator delete with straight pipe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If it's an automatic I'd recommend the pypes violator system, not too pricey and to me I like it better than my Corsa xtreme system on my R/T. Side by side the pypes sounds meaner, if it's a stick just a resonator delete mod does than same same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started out with the reso delete with some flows had a good low growl to it in the lower rpm's. Higher rpms kinda died a little so I switched over to straight pipes and yeah I love it not so much in the lower but once you WOT its insane. I don't notice the drone people are talking about tho inside the cabin its pretty quite to me. I drove from MD to NC about 5hrs wasnt bothered at all my gf was with me and half the time she slept so I'd do it if you want it LOUD if not then just reso delete with some flows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deleted the resonators on my 6 speed and its the best decision I've ever made but I heard on the auto the drone sucks! And yes $85 is a pretty good price!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cut out my resos and replaced with straight pipe sections....now the Challenger sounds like a muscle car at idle.....some drone on the highway, but I got used to it and the wife doesn't *****...so I'm happy with the delete....cost me $100.00...so your $ 85.00 is right on the money!!!
Tarheel R/T

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sounds like really good results I wanted to put flowmasters on but Im do the reso deleat and go from there

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I replaced my resonators with straight pipes 3 days after buying my '12 RT A5. There is a drone in the cabin but nothing that bothers me, OR THE WIFE (a plus as she's not one for obnoxious drone). We drove from N. Florida to Western Washington state over a week long trip and neither of us were bothered. In regards to the MDS kicking in, eh, it does start sounding like a ricer around 1800-2000 RPMs, but I slap it into manual and its gone and sounding like a V8 again. Its a good mod for the money IMHO. Next Ill be shelling the cash out for Speedlogix/Zoomers cat back. Good luck to you on your decision.

Reactions: burneeey

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cut out my resos and replaced with straight pipe sections....now the Challenger sounds like a muscle car at idle.....some drone on the highway, but I got used to it and the wife doesn't *****...so I'm happy with the delete....cost me $100.00...so your $ 85.00 is right on the money!!!
Tarheel R/T

I might just do it tomorrow :) But, people keep telling me if I straight pipe it I won't pass smog and my check light will turn on. Have you had any problem fella? Thank you :)l

·
Registered
330 Posts
They are incorrect, check engine light will not turn on for removing resonators. Catalytic Converter yes, resonator, no. Resonators are not am emission related. Will not effect smog only sound.

Reactions: Southern
1 - 16 of 16 Posts