Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
I traded a R/T for a new SRT. I do not regret the trade but I did the trade because the price was right and I want to try a variety of racing events and the SRT is the better choice. I do not think you will notice a difference in engines unless you track the car (and then just 10th's of a second (of course that is a win) and while you will feel a difference in the brakes and a little in the suspension, unless you are racing I do not see as a good idea. In short, I would not make the trade (to many miles vs yours) even if it is a fair price.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd recommend keeping your R/T (I'm an SRT owner). Your's has significantly less miles and you know how well you've taken care of it. A 57K mile 2-year old car has been rode pretty hard IMO (the national average is 12K a year - anything over about 25K miles is pretty "used" by that standard). On top of that, anything a 2010 or older SRT has going for it, you can replicate with mods on the same period R/T. Point being - you know your car, and you can improve suspension, brakes, handling, even HP and torque at your leisure just the way you want it. Why take a chance on an unknown? Nothing wrong with the R/T - I nearly bought one myself. The only reason I went with the SRT was because the optioned out R/Ts I was looking at were only a couple thousand difference in price and the dealer gave me over $5K off the SRT, plus $2,500 in MOPAR bucks aftermarket, so it worked out as the better deal. Otherwise, I'd be a very proud R/T STP owner!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Giving up your car (which I assume you bought new) for an unkown 57K mile car is not a good idea IMHO. Keep what you've got and mod it according to your tastes.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
save up your money and get a new 392 in a few years

unless its an even swap there is no way id consider 10k miles for 57k miles....

better off modding your RT

·
Registered
416 Posts
Resist the urge. You already have a great car with low miles; trading into an unknown with higher miles... seems risky. You'd probably be better off doing a few simple power mods (diablo, etc) and putting the extra cash on suspension for your RT.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm with the majority, too. My R/T has 20,000 and I wouldn't trade it. The SRT has a lot of things better than my R/T (brakes, tunes, seats) but I know how my R/T has been treated since mile 1. I'd have a hard time buying anything with 57K on it, especially a performance car with an unknown past.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll agree with the others. Holding onto your 11k car that you know is much better than the unknown 57k.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Keep your r/t, giving up a low mileage r/t for a car with over 50k on it would be a mistake. You should be able to find plenty of srt8s out there discounted heavily with next to no miles on them.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
DO NOT trade your R/T for a high mileage 6.1L SRT!!!! Wait to be able to get the 392 when a used one comes around in a while. Thats just my opinion but I bet you will see that opinion more than anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone thanks for the input. Im glad it was a clear decision. Now I would like to know how to kinda convert my r/t into a srt8. I live in Philadelphia and would like to know who out there knows anyone who can do good work? I wanna start with the exterior first because I am assuming that would be cheaper. I currently have the r/t racing stripes and would like to get rid of them for the stripes on the hood.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I would say rather than dumping a bunch of money into the R/T to make it into a SRT, why not just buy a SRT? I used to have a Stealth Twin Turbo and a bunch of guys would always want to try and convert their R/Ts into Twin Turbos. It is not cost effective. Plus, your car will always just be a R/T. I would save up and buy a 392 when they come down. You can always do a few bolt ons to your R/T to get it to run with the SRT-8 in the straights (exhaust, custom tune, CAI) for not a ton of money. To make your car handle and brake like the SRT-8 will cost more money. To be honest, with the STP, the R/T is not much different than the SRT in the straights and the curves unless you are really hammering it, then the SRT has a slight advantage in the upper RPMs and in the braking department due to the mighty Brembos. Enjoy what you have, do a few things here and there to keep from getting bored and buy a 392 in a couple of years. DO NOT do that trade right now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Everyone thanks for the input. Im glad it was a clear decision. Now I would like to know how to kinda convert my r/t into a srt8. I live in Philadelphia and would like to know who out there knows anyone who can do good work? I wanna start with the exterior first because I am assuming that would be cheaper. I currently have the r/t racing stripes and would like to get rid of them for the stripes on the hood.
If you're thing is to make it more SRT-like - recommend going for the suspension/handling and performance upgrades, as you'll probably enjoy driving the car more with those enhancements. Check out the R/T forum - tons of posts on those kinds of mods and what they involve, the improvement over stock, etc. The R/T is a very good platform for mods - tons of really well done R/Ts on the forum to prove it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Instead of trying to make your r/t an srt8, just replace the rear spoiler with an srt8 spoiler (remove the badge) and 90% of the people on the street will think its one anyway. As much as i respect the srt8 cars, they're not holding their resale value that much better than an RT model is, especially since the 392's are now coming out. Sure in 30-40 years, the srt8 will be worth more than an r/t will, but realistically only 1 in 10,000 owners will actually hold on to a car more than 20 years. (this coming from someone that still owns their first car-a 69 charger r/t se i drove in HS)

If owning the top of the heap car is the only way to fill your needs, just wait a few years till the srt8's have dropped in value a bit more, then you'll be able to afford one much easier. There are plenty of them out there, there is no need to buy one at full sticker now... I have no regrets that i bought an r/t instead of an srt8, the same reasons why i made the choice a year ago stand today, money wasn't the determining factor for me, it was mainly the difference in performance wasn't dramatic enough to justify the extra cost, and now my r/t stands out just as much as a srt8 does when seen on the roads. Its unique, one of very few seen in its color, the interior is different than 99% of the others, and it has a few distinctive features that set it apart from the rest of the r/t's. Its very easy to slightly modify the r/t to be something nice and enjoyable, even if it isn't the quarter mile king of the street. My R/T is as fast as my turbo stealth was (yes i owned one of those too...still do) in the quarter, and probably in top end, its faster than my 69 Charger R/T SE with a 440/auto ever was, and while its slower than my cobra used to be, it rides much better than the cobra ever did on the highway, much more comfortable.

The only reason to have srt8 envy is if you cannot make the R/T make you happy driving it. So far, i've had no problems with mine. While i wouldn't mind an extra 40-100hp, its not that hard to add that type of power to the r/t if i wanted to spend 5k or so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep the R/T, there is no reason to be ashamed of it. Just remember all Challenger models look better than the other cars out there (biased I know). I would (and will) update the suspension as some other people have mentioned on this thread. If you are a real HP nut then you can do a supercharger. You just need to research cost vs. power, whatever makes you more happy/confident.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I went the other way I traded my srt8 challenger for a RT CLASSIC and just as nice and alot better gas millage srt8 14miles to RT CLASSIC 26 MILES AND THE WAY GAS PRICES ARE GOING GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep your R/T couple mods and your as fast as an SRT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts