Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I just have a question about my 2017 SXT plus. I bought it used going on two months ago, I am not sure what the previous owner used for gas/oil. I had an odor coming from my car.. And I was told possible reason is fuel. Now I do use regular fuel, and without going into too much detail I was just curious if on my V6 VVT I can change the Fuel and oil type. Since I am not sure what he was using for oil prior to me owning it . I am thinking of changing to Super fuel and synthetic oil.
Thank you in advance!
Edit… Super fuel meaning 93 octane or maybe you guys have suggestions on better brands… Thank you guys again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always the regular was the way to go to and I still do if you want to save a penny… But wouldn’t top-tier gas in the use of synthetic oil may be better for the engine in general?

sorry my words are scattered I was talk texting . So would it be ok to change to 93 octane and synthetic oil?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
sorry my words are scattered I was talk texting . So would it be ok to change to 93 octane and synthetic oil?
Don't use 93. You'd just be throwing money away. 87 is what your manual calls for. You should be fine changing to synthetic if you wanted to.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,421 Posts
Run 87..maybe now and then, drop in some 91 or 93 octain..as these have additional cleaners and additives which help out things like valve train, clean deposits, etc.
As for oil, YES you can switch to full synth, but its been advised not to mix oils (such as 1/2 full of SAE & 1/2 synth), so drain "whatever" is in there and start fresh is a good thing. new filter & your fav synthetic and you are GTG.
Momma Mopar has a long term, close relationship with Penzoil, maybe for a reason IDK. if that matters to you.
Ive had great results with Royal Purple as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so my next oil change which I will do myself I’ll drain the oil and the filter and drop in the purple… Also use 93 from time to time?

I didn’t mean to add the question mark .
Meant to say that’s what I will do thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
Good gas is good gas. Cheap gas is cheap gas. Every station I've been at, quality gas is mutually exclusive from octane rating. 93 will not "clean" or otherwise benefit your v6 without a tune. If you want to, spend the money on a seafoam, gumout, marvel mystery oil type product to add separate to the tank.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
151 Posts
Not much I can add to what has already been said except that I just traded in my 2012 SXT and always ran 87 octane. Never had any issues with gas.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If you want to, spend the money on a seafoam, gumout, marvel mystery oil type product to add separate to the tank.
Not recommended by FCA.

"Materials Added To Engine Oil The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by supplemental additives " Same warning is there for fuel additives, other than what comes from the pump.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
Not recommended by FCA.

"Materials Added To Engine Oil The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by supplemental additives " Same warning is there for fuel additives, other than what comes from the pump.
I don't use them in the challenger either but I do think it's a bit of a cya for the manufacturer. I will throw a can of seafoam into out jeep that has a lot of short trips and hardly ever gets driven hard. But I am aware how much of a hot button issue additives can be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been using Mobil and Shell fuels for years. Both have cleaners in all grades, so stick with the recommended 87 octane. Anything higher on a stock tune is tossing money away. As to oil, any good brand full synthetic 0W-30 as the owners manual states is good oil. Remember, these engines have VVT, so using 0W-30 as the manual states is good insurance for a long running and happy engine.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,084 Posts
In another thread about your issue with the exhaust sulfur odor, I recommended you be sure to use a Top Tier gas and provided a link. I think you're confused to think that octane has something to do with the quality of the gas. Your SXT doesn't need it, and octane is NOT what Top Tier gas is all about. It's more about lower sulfur content and fuel additives to keep your engine running clean. For this reason I stay away from budget gas stations and buy name brands such as Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Chevron, etc.
You're thinking of changing to full synthetic oil as well as changing gas. While making both changes is fine, If the sulfur odor goes away, how are you going to know which change (if any) solved the problem? I'd start with the gas alone since that is more likely the source of sulfur. There's a reason why oil companies pay a premium for oil sourced from certain regions and lower sulfur content is one of them.

Reactions: Perseverance7
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.