Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2018 Challenger, when I hit the front defrost button, the windshield actually gets worse. After messing with speed and temp and thoroughly fogging up the windshield I realized that the A/C compressor wasn't on. I hit the button for it and windshield cleared almost instantly. This has happened a couple times now. I swear this is the only car I have ever owned that didn't automatically turn on the A/C compressor with front defrost for removing humidity. Others you could turn it off afterwards, but it defaulted to on, even my 2015 Charger. I checked owners manual to see if maybe it was a setting that was off, but I didn't see it mentioned. The closest was
"
For Manual Climate Controls, if the system is in Mix,
Floor or Defrost Mode, the A/C can be turned off, but
the A/C system shall remain active to prevent fogging of
the windows.
"
I have full climate control and as far as I know it should just work automatically when hitting the front defrost button.
If I'm being dumb, please let me know what I missed.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone with a 2018 check theirs and see if the A/C light goes on automatically with front defrost? I checked again last night and same thing, so it isn't a toggle or something.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I just checked this in my 2018 GT and the A/C light does NOT come on when I turn on the front defrost... I'm not sure if it actually is on or not (and just the light on the A/C button doesn't turn on when you turn the defrost on). I'll have to experiment with that a little more. The A/C compressor definitely should turn on with the defrost (it has for every other car I've owned).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked this in my 2018 GT and the A/C light does NOT come on when I turn on the front defrost... I'm not sure if it actually is on or not (and just the light on the A/C button doesn't turn on when you turn the defrost on). I'll have to experiment with that a little more. The A/C compressor definitely should turn on with the defrost (it has for every other car I've owned).
OK, thanks for the reply. I realize the light might not come on unless manually chosen, but I was curious. All I know is if I put the Defrost on, the windshield gets worse unless I press the a/c button after.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
660 Posts
OK, thanks for the reply. I realize the light might not come on unless manually chosen, but I was curious. All I know is if I put the Defrost on, the windshield gets worse unless I press the a/c button after.
I can rev mine up (it’s a few feet away in the garage) but I don’t believe the a/c light is supposed to come on in defrost mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts