Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love my 2012 challenger r/t but the crunchy 1st to 2nd shift is really starting to annoy me. ive done the cvd which from what i remember helped at the time. ive run royal purple syncromax and it it was any better i couldnt tell. i ran that for maybe 6k miles or so. 2 weeks ago i switched to redline d4 as ive heard it helped some people. i dont think it helped at all its just a different kinda crunchy now. i wanna drive a newer one to see if its any better. if they all suck like this as much as i hate to i may go automatic. i cant see the thing living a long life the way it shifts now. has anyone found the magic bullet? i really dont wanna get an auto.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You haven't considered a Barton shifter?? I would do that long before getting a new car with an auto... Nothing but positive reviews with those shifters. Plenty of support on this forum for Barton in addition to resources for getting one. I think that's really your next, and final, step.

**Edit** I now see in your signature that you have a Barton? Surprised you're still unhappy. Best of luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go to www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwM8lTeARk. You'll see the deficiency in the 1-2 syncro. that has haunted some of the Tremac transmissions. There's a company that makes a revised syncro that solves the problem. Tranny has to be removed for the syncro replacement but is cheaper than buying a new Challenger because of the poor 1-2 shift. That letter between the 8 and the T is a lower case L.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwM8lTeARk. You'll see the deficiency in the 1-2 syncro. that has haunted some of the Tremac transmissions. There's a company that makes a revised syncro that solves the problem. Tranny has to be removed for the syncro replacement but is cheaper than buying a new Challenger because of the poor 1-2 shift. That letter between the 8 and the T is a lower case L.

good to know. ill have to see if i can find the markings on it. do you know if there is a star case or anything from dodge?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You haven't considered a Barton shifter?? I would do that long before getting a new car with an auto... Nothing but positive reviews with those shifters. Plenty of support on this forum for Barton in addition to resources for getting one. I think that's really your next, and final, step.

**Edit** I now see in your signature that you have a Barton? Surprised you're still unhappy. Best of luck.

I love the shifter, but the best shifter in the world hooked to a crappy transmission doesn't really make a difference.

·
Registered
2015 scat pack
279 Posts
I have only 3,000 miles on my 2016 M6 SPS. I have the Barton but have not had time to install it yet. In those 3,000 miles of "aggressive" shifting, I only experienced this grind one time...Now I am no expert on the difference between the older RT's and the newer ones, but this is by far a smooth shifting BEAST! IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Star Case

Trakpak, sorry, I don't know what you mean by "is there a star case from Dodge."
Chrysler/Dodge technicians use a troubleshooting application to input a vehicle's problem. The system narrows the problem with, plain language, follow-up questions. The more difficult problems are handled by Service Technical Assistance Center (STAR) agents, who use a STAR scan tool for vehicle diagnostics. A STAR report becomes a STAR case. If there are enough cases to justify an upgrade, a Service Bulletin is generated.

·
Registered
Challenger Scat Pack
35 Posts
i love my 2012 challenger r/t but the crunchy 1st to 2nd shift is really starting to annoy me. ive done the cvd which from what i remember helped at the time. ive run royal purple syncromax and it it was any better i couldnt tell. i ran that for maybe 6k miles or so. 2 weeks ago i switched to redline d4 as ive heard it helped some people. i dont think it helped at all its just a different kinda crunchy now. i wanna drive a newer one to see if its any better. if they all suck like this as much as i hate to i may go automatic. i cant see the thing living a long life the way it shifts now. has anyone found the magic bullet? i really dont wanna get an auto.
I've been thinking about putting a 4oz bottle of limited slip additive in my 2015 6m Trans. I was so blown away that just yesterday I was tired of hearing the growing and howling of the difference when making tight turns I added a bottle from orileys. Not even after 100 miles the noise was gone. All this after reading up on some threads about the issue and the TSB. I've read a few threads some people have done this and it helped significantly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
Trakpak Cuda 340 was kind enough to explain what a star case is and I can say that I don't know if a star case has been generated by Dodge but in my opinion probably not since the 1-2 grind seems to be fairly common with the 6060 Tremec and no TSB's have been issued by Dodge. Plus the fact that Tremec knows the problem and has come out with the revised hybrid syncro to correct the problem and Dodge is mute about it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
276 Posts
Just this morning I was getting frustrated with this issue. It has gotten progressively worse over the past 6 months and now on 50% of my shifts into second it either hangs 1-2 seconds before slotting in fully or it will pop back out when I release the clutch because the shifter isn't fully in gear. I've installed the skip-shift 1-4 eliminator, did clutch delay valve removal, and the ranger protocol to clear out any dirty fluid. I'm afraid this is going to get even worse over time. I have a '15 with 42k and out of warranty. This should not be happening on a 2-1/2 year old car.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
276 Posts
Interesting. I had not thought of or realized that I could have that, I will check it out.
:icon_cheers:
Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts