Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for a little constructive input on a modification I'm considering. I've been toying for a while with adding the retro-inspired quarter panel scoops to my '14 R/T Classic.

Here's an original '71; the look I'm going for:

Here are the aftermarket scoops available in the market:

And here is my car as it sits today:

I've tried to make tasteful and subtle changes to the appearance to echo the original, since the car already has a retro appearance from the factory. I've added "R/T" emblems below the script "Challenger" fender emblems. Changed the grille emblem to a script "Challenger" version to mimic the '70 model. Added the amber fog light covers to simulate the signal lights of the original. Went with an matte black SRT rear spoiler to replace the body-colored original. Performed full-width signal/stop lamp modification.

None of this, I believe, draws overt attention that changes have been made; but rather looks like it could have/should have been done by the factory. Everything has been done with an eye toward something that existed in '70-'71.

But...are the side scoops a bridge too far? Would it cross the line from tasteful to tacky? The proverbial "sore thumb"? Jumping the shark? Or would it be a subtle retro touch?

I appreciate your constructive criticism. I realize the retro look isn't for everyone, and many like blacked out, murdered out look. Which is fine. To each their own. Just interested in if you saw my car with side scoops, would you immediately be repulsed, or give it a nod and a mental "thumbs up".

Thanks!

JD

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,759 Posts
They don't look tacky to me

A Guy

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
273 Posts
They'll look good in white.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
345 Posts
I have the "cheap" plastic ones on my car. I think they look great. If I had to do it again I would probably paint the "vent" portion of it black.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,384 Posts
nothing wrong with the throw back to 71, if done right and with the right combo of other subtile mods..its when a car begins to look like an entire JC Whitney cataloge that people o_O

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nothing wrong with the throw back to 71, if done right and with the right combo of other subtile mods..its when a car begins to look like an entire JC Whitney cataloge that people o_O
Exactly! That's why I'm going slow with this one, and soliciting some input here. I'm from the "less is more" school of thought, and don't want to push the limit.

In my opinion, when a change or addition garners a comment, like "Nice scoops", etc., you've gone too far. The changes shouldn't be noticeable in and of themselves. People should just say "Damn, that car looks good", not really knowing specifically why. That's when you know your efforts are working together to make a subtle statement. It should just have that "something" that sets it apart subliminally.

JD

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not repulsed in the least. But I still say no. Take my opinion with a grain of salt since I'm merely a wannabe until my car comes in.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
I'm not a fan. Wouldn't consider them for my '16.

That said, they can look nice on some Challengers.

I agree that these on a white car would really look nice. IMO, and to my eyes, the color pulls the scoops into a better visual.

Best of luck deciding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
In my opinion, when a change or addition garners a comment, like "Nice scoops", etc., you've gone too far.

JD
So true. One of my cars has a slight rake that drives me crazy. Barely an inch. When the first thing out of people's mouths is "I love the stance", I know something's wrong.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,038 Posts
@TXRT - I think 3rd party viewers of the car encountered while out in public will generally have 1 of 2 opinions of the side vents, and which one will depend on their personal experience or knowledge of the original Challenger 1970s:
1) “cool mods on that car man, the side vents have it looking real good! <thumbs up>
- or -
2) “what side vents? Oh, okay, I see them now, yeah, they look fine…<shrug>

Anyone who can tell a modern Challenger from a Charger and knows which year model(s) those vents originally came on will have a response similar to 1) from above.

I think everyone else will have a response similar to 2) from above.

Local car meets and such will surely bring out the arseholes that may wisecrack about the vents being too much, but those folks are miserable and exhausting to be around regardless of mods on your car, so “EFF em and feed em fish heads” is what I say!

Its your car, and you can do with it whatever you like. Anyone who has a problem with that can pound sand or suffer a facial burn from a cigarette, their choice. 😎

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,038 Posts

Love the look of old school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dont those blue headlight housings get you stopped by the fuzz??

That would for sure be a quick stop and harass from a local LEO around here, and a ticket (and possibly impoundment) if a highway patrolman saw them I bet.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I don’t mind them at all and I’m guessing they are just double sided taped on so it’s reversible if you don’t like them.

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts

Not tacky, been thinking about it myself..I also want to copy your spoiler mod.

what do you think about a wrap on the top half?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger RT
44 Posts
Dont those blue headlight housings get you stopped by the fuzz??

That would for sure be a quick stop and harass from a local LEO around here, and a ticket (and possibly impoundment) if a highway patrolman saw them I bet.
No sir. At night I have LED’s in those and they are more of a very light blue when on
btw that my tribute to Sox & Martin drag racing. They had blue headlights on their cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like it, but...
The whole view is so subtle, why bother with real parts, paint, etc.
I have toyed for years with how to make stickers that would be clear (so paint can show through), shadowed (as though front 'inlet'), and highlighted (for the light at upper rounded edges).
I think a high quality sticker would be great, and 99% as cool and authentic as the physical vents.
Anyone?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
102 Posts
Kind of trying to do the old school vibe on mine as well. On the fence about the vents, kind of like them. The vinyl wrap on the roof would also add to the old school look. Have also thought about an R/T decal on the hood. Again I like the classic look so all three or any combination I think would look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also did the script on the fenders and have toyed with adding the Star button believing less is more. I like the scoops if they have a black inlet and I think they break up the big body sides adding interest

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
587 Posts
I believe that the people who remember the '71 Challenger R/T will recognize the side scoops for what they are meant to be. The original '71 side scoops were also not functional, so they were added for appearance only. I also like the vinyl wrap on the roof, it looks like the old school vinyl roof. I agree that it is a fine line between being a tribute to the '71 and just being a rolling display of the JC Whitney catalog. A few tasteful mods help more than accessory overload.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts