Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
96 Posts
I love mine, 2nd best cosmetic mod on my car (lil devil flares first). It breaks up the slab side and gives a retro 70's look to the car. They are high quality..like something that would have come from the factory. I ordered mine painted and came out perfectly. I painted the insets myself matte black to give contrast.

View attachment 1027262
2 Questions. Do you have 2 spoilers? And where did you get your scoops?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
2 Questions. Do you have 2 spoilers? And where did you get your scoops?
Yes, I have the Hurst flat 3pc spoiler that came with the Challenger Hurst cars. I also put a Hurst 1980's low pedestal spoiler on the back that I modified myself.
This is the link to the scoops - from the guys who make it. It think other sites sell them (middle men) but I like buying direct.
Challenger Products | RetroUSA

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your car looks very classy with the subtle changes, go for the side vents. Do you have a shot of the grille with the script "Challenger"? I may want to do that to mine.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your car looks very classy with the subtle changes, go for the side vents. Do you have a shot of the grille with the script "Challenger"? I may want to do that to mine.
Here's a better shot of the front showing the grille emblem and amber fog covers, and a rear shot showing the spoiler change:

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Here’s a pic of mine with the script challenger that is actually from 1970.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to go with the hood pin kit, but $325 + tax and shipping is too hard for me to swallow for no more than you get. Hoping to run across some in a salvage yard someday.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
337 Posts
Again, I do love mine.

But like I said, in hindsight I should have found someone who is a master with an airbrush to paint a shadow effect on the "inlets." But from afar the lighting and the angles kind of do that themselves.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Again, I do love mine.

View attachment 1027270

But like I said, in hindsight I should have found someone who is a master with an airbrush to paint a shadow effect on the "inlets." But from afar the lighting and the angles kind of do that themselves.
If I end up adding these to mine, I plan to grab some matte 3M film, and cut decals just as the '71's were done. They need the contrast, especially on white. I think yours look fine being on a dark color, but you could always add the decals anytime. If I go forward with this, I'll make templates and share them on the site.

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,664 Posts
I like the old school, retro look, so if you like it I say go for it. (y)

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
While I tend to shy away from "non functional" mods, they would fit your "theme" very well and I think would look good.
Definitely adds the old school look.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
While I tend to shy away from "non functional" mods, they would fit your "theme" very well and I think would look good.
Definitely adds the old school look.
Agreed; I don't like things that are non-functional either. The only think I've spent significant money on for this car is the Barton shifter, and a Mopar shock tower brace. Other items have been purely cosmetic (emblems, etc.). As a matter of fact, I'm trying to swap my CAI (came with the car) for a stock air cleaner now on the wanted page. I consider those basically non-functional.

In this case, I'm trying to mimic something that wasn't functional on the original, so I'm giving myself a pass, haha. Sounds like most opinions are coming in favorable on this mod, so I'm certainly considering it.

Cheers!

JD

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
550 Posts
I love mine, 2nd best cosmetic mod on my car (lil devil flares first). It breaks up the slab side and gives a retro 70's look to the car. They are high quality..like something that would have come from the factory. I ordered mine painted and came out perfectly. I painted the insets myself matte black to give contrast.

View attachment 1027262
Where did you pick up yours from? The more I see these the more I think I might want them for mine also. ( but I would need them to be high quality as you mentioned).

Do the edges where they affixed to the car stay seated tight enough to where it's difficult to tell whether they are functional or stick on?

I usually do not like stick on accessories in the least but I think they look good on the examples shown here.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Where did you pick up yours from? The more I see these the more I think I might want them for mine also. ( but I would need them to be high quality as you mentioned).

Do the edges where they affixed to the car stay seated tight enough to where it's difficult to tell whether they are functional or stick on?

I usually do not like stick on accessories in the least but I think they look good on the examples shown here.
I got mine direct from the makers - no middle men
Challenger Products | RetroUSA
They give you measurements where to place them from the rear wheel opening. The fit is tight against the body. You cant see any 3m tape or gaps. I wasn't thinking the fit would be that good but it was. You will be very happy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Man, if they were done seemlessly, perfectly, and looked real, and did not cost much I'm in.

BUT, is that realistic? I was looking at a newer Camaro on the street the other day, and a ~15 year old Mustang, in the parking lot today, and both had cheap fake side vents that look awful. I mean, why bother? I don't understand why they don't put real side vents on, to held air circulation. It cannot cost $10....

The 3M ones, well, I'd be worried the wind would yank them right off. They surely create drag? NO? How about coming off in the wash?? I prefer things that are not just cosmetic but actually perform a function.

I suspect, maybe just a hunch, that over time these will sag, look terrible, look mismatched, fall off, etc...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Man, if they were done seemlessly, perfectly, and looked real, and did not cost much I'm in.

BUT, is that realistic? I was looking at a newer Camaro on the street the other day, and a ~15 year old Mustang, in the parking lot today, and both had cheap fake side vents that look awful. I mean, why bother? I don't understand why they don't put real side vents on, to held air circulation. It cannot cost $10....

The 3M ones, well, I'd be worried the wind would yank them right off. They surely create drag? NO? How about coming off in the wash?? I prefer things that are not just cosmetic but actually perform a function.

I suspect, maybe just a hunch, that over time these will sag, look terrible, look mismatched, fall off, etc...
To me it was never about looking like "real air vents". I don't know why people are hung up on this. To me it is a body shape mode..cosmetic..no different than my hash stripe on my front fender. It breaks up the huge slab-side on this car. To me the car looks better..so it is functional.

Look at your rear spoiler. It is not functional. If anything it creates drag and adds weight. It will probably start being functional with downforce when you hit over 140 mph..and 99.9% of owners will never go that fast. In fact, The Challenger body is probably the worst modern performance car in terms of "drag", but we love the shape and that's why we own them. The body is not functional for speed...but in beauty it's a home run.

Also, there is no way these will sag. You cant pull these off. You would have to take fishing wire and "work" underneath the scoops for about 5 minutes to get them off. I have had these on for three years and still feels like they are bolted on from the inside.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
96 Posts
I like them because they flash back to old school, which were also non-functional. So being non-functionable to me is a non argument. Had a front wheel drive car with a rear spoiler, think about it IF the spoiler actually did anything it would be lifting the drive wheels causing a loss of traction.

Just one more thing I need to buy... as if I need to anymore items to that list!

Reactions: raceheart77
21 - 40 of 63 Posts