Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got all my parts I needed and put them on today. Made my own out of 1/4" ABS I bought off EBay. Used 6-Electrical Beam Clamps per side that clamped to the seam. They have a 1/4" threaded hole in them for the Stainless Steel Bolts and 1" Washers. Only took a couple hours to set the clamps even and mark out the ABS to drill it out for the bolts. I cut out a hole for the rear lift Puck to stick thru the Skirt. I think they look OK and happy with them. Real solid and I now have a place to know crap off my shoes getting inside. Had to wash off the mud from driving last night now I can see how the work starting clean. Had to wipe the car off fast it is freezing outside so I could put the cover back on. Not the best picture had vapor spots on the Len it is foggy here.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tire
Bottle Bottle stopper & saver Font Glass bottle Rectangle
Water Liquid Hood Sky Fluid

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These Beam Clamps hold the ABS Solid up against the flat part on them. This left a even 1/8" Gap along the Skirt so water, mud can flow off and not build up on them. Easier to wash off not forcing the mud into a tight seam and build up behind later you can't wash off from the outside not going under the car.to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds great and from what I can tell looks nice. We need better shots with better lighting showing the whole side profile of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I like them! Great job! (y)

Reactions: Willy-N

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Rear Skirts can't go on a 2021 GT due to how they trimmed the plastic they mount to for the Muffler. Was ready to make them put it up an the Ramps to measure and make a Templet. On the older Challengers or not a GT there is way more plastic curving under. The edge you see from the outside is the cut off edge and does not go under the car except at the back in one spot. Took a picture of it.
Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I've been watching your build and you're doing a great job...looks awesome! One item I'll mention regarding the ZL1 skirts is I'm not a fan of that fastening system. Did you locktite the threads? There's a youtuber who put these on and lost one driving down the highway at speed. Also, in the youtube videos, they both have different fastening systems: set screws with aluminum bracketry where as yours are more mechanical with screws in both the vertical and horizontal planes. I wonder if this is another GT vs widebody nuance?

EDIT: I somehow glossed over the part where you made your own fastening system...BRAVO! I'm not a fan of the set screw and want a lot more positive control in the fastener.

Install Video:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've been watching your build and you're doing a great job...looks awesome! One item I'll mention regarding the ZL1 skirts is I'm not a fan of that fastening system. Did you locktite the threads? There's a youtuber who put these on and lost one driving down the highway at speed. Also, in the youtube videos, they both have different fastening systems: set screws with aluminum bracketry where as yours are more mechanical with screws in both the vertical and horizontal planes. I wonder if this is another GT vs widebody nuance?

Install Video:
ive had my zl1 side skirts up to 150 in mexico a couple times, not any issues with them moving, but i really like the idea of making your own, as they certainly could be better fit to the car.

nice job op, im going to grab some stainless steel beam clamps from work monday morning and may just build a set myself in the spring....i like custom

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured the Clamp Bolts will rust in place somewhat. They are very tight. I made a smaller set for my Toyota I kick the snow and mud off my boots getting in. Did not want to pound them on the body metal. Mounted them the same way and there solid. Beam Clamps are meant to stay on when tight hanging stuff off them above people. I used 4 Clamps on these per side.
Automotive tire Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went for a drive to town in the wet slush snow today. The Mud Flaps and Side Skirts worked great to keep most of it off. Took a couple pictures after driving 8 miles in it. When I got home just squirted it off, dried it and put it away for the next drive. First Picture leaving next 2 was 8 miles from home. Last one after washing it off to put away. Love driving it in the winter still turns heads in town!! The Very last picture I took thru the window just before home.
Cloud Sky Atmosphere World Plant

I love this view as a welcome back home!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood
Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Sky
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They had sanded the road so the slush was dirty! Glad the Flaps work wish I could add the rear skirts but no place to attach them to under it on the GT's. Took some water spray to wash out the inside of the wheel wells it was pretty thick! I can live with the little bit that fly's up off the read tires. It was my doors and sides I was worried about the most and the Skirts work great. Nothing seem to come off the tires around the wheel well above them. Any real splash was from trucks going by me the other way when they hit slush so I gave them lots of room!! Not parking this Baby for 3 more months I like driving it to much. I need to look under to see how my added snow/ice protection for the steering worked today too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just went out and took pictures under the Car. I had not sprayed water under it but were not using salt on out roads yet. The Small Skid Plate Deflector I put under the Steering Motor to help protect the Wires works. Took 3 pictures you can see the crap on the non protected area to the left of it. Then how much cleaner the Wiring and Connections are having the plate below them. Don't need to cover them the Plate dose what I wanted done. Some may say it did not do much so I will take a picture next time when ice is still under the Car not melted off stuff like now. I am going by the dirt I see that it is working keeping the spry to a minimum hitting the wires.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Art Gas
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Suspension
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts