Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got sideswiped and now I’m wondering what the cost would be to repair the dent/paint of the rear quarter panel? I’m reading anywhere between $1000-$4000, which seems to be a very wide margin. Anyone ever had similar damage?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I'd say its going to be on the higher side - that's a large area of damage; might have to section some areas of that quarter.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
Have to agree with Hal H the cost is likely to be closer to the $4000 number than the $1000 number.

Best advice I can offer is locate a highly regarded body/paint shop and take the car to the shop and get a written quote. One way to find a highly regarded body/paint shop is to find out where Dodge dealers send vehicles for body/paint work. New (and used) cars get paint/body damage occasionally and dealers have a favored shop to repair this damage.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,642 Posts
No offense intended to Rockster, but you may want to aim a little higher than where a Dodge dealer would send a car. Find out where a Mercedes or Lexus dealer would take one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No offense intended to Rockster, but you may want to aim a little higher than where a Dodge dealer would send a car. Find out where a Mercedes or Lexus dealer would take one.
I’ve called a few, but most told me to go through the dealer because it’s the rear quarter panel. Apparently it could be structural damage. Now I doubt that’s the case, because the dent isn’t very deep, but if most general body shops are afraid to even look at it I’d rather go with a brand specific body shop.

EDIT: dealer quoted me $1200 and 5 days. Better than expected!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I’ve called a few, but most told me to go through the dealer because it’s the rear quarter panel. Apparently it could be structural damage. Now I doubt that’s the case, because the dent isn’t very deep, but if most general body shops are afraid to even look at it I’d rather go with a brand specific body shop.

EDIT: dealer quoted me $1200 and 5 days. Better than expected!

That’s cool, but isn’t the sideswiper’s insurance paying for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Body/paint shops that deal in the higher end cars may not want to bother with Dodges and the like but I take your point.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Kind of strange.

A good body shop should be able to check the car's hard points to determine if the car is "bent". After I hit a mule deer with my 996 Porsche Turbo the body shop I took the car to removed the wheels and put the car on a Celette Bench and using the appropriate gauges confirmed the tub suffered no damage. (Other than the metal shelf that ran alongside the passenger side of the trunk (engine's in the back with the Turbo of course) was bent down and had to be brought up to ensure the new passenger side front fender was at the proper height.)

But maybe body shops leave this checking the tub for damage to the dealer? I don't know as I have no experience with bent Dodges and I hope to God I never have any occasion to gain any experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a painter at a bodyshop and have worked at shops that do work for dealers. Just because a dealer uses a shop does not mean they do good work, they usually do the work at a discount so the dealer will send them more work. This is not always the case but do your homework on who is going to be doing the work. Some dealers have bodyshops in house and some do good work and some don't. And for the price, cheaper is not better. At the shop I work at (without seeing the car in person) that would be at least a $2000 repair if the quarter panel is repaired with bondo and closer to $3000- $4000 if the quarter panel is replaced. Is your car a 3 stage red or is it just base/clear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a painter at a bodyshop and have worked at shops the do work for dealers. Just because a dealer uses a shop does not mean they do good work, they usually do the work at a discount so the dealer will send them more work. This is not always the case but do your homework on who is going to be doing the work. Some dealers have bodyshops in house and some do good work and some don't. And for the price, cheaper is not better. At the shop I work at (without seeing the car in person) that would be at least a $2000 repair if the quarter panel is repaired with bondo and closer to $3000- $4000 if the quarter panel is replaced. Is your car a 3 stage red or is it just base/clear?
It’s Octane Red, so has some flakes in it. Not sure how many stages?

As long as it passes the end-of-lease inspection I’m fine with it. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Seeing as it’s the dealers body shop that’s doing the repair and the dealer will be doing the inspection it should be ok. FWIW, they gave a me a really nice discount because I’m paying cash out of pocket. Going through insurance would’ve been closer to $2k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a Uconnect report that my blind spot monitoring system is broken. However, when I drove the car to the dealer, no such warning came up. Isn’t it very risky that the car does not warn you when a system you have come to rely on is broken?

Does anyone know where the sensors are located? Could quarter panel damage cause those issues?

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Oh yeah. Any damage to the rear of the car could affect the sensors.

At the dealer did you try to back up the car and see if the sensor error appeared?

Also, I would expect -- but maybe it is too much to expect -- the Dodge tech could connect a Dodge specific diagnostic computer to the car and query/check for any back up sensor malfunction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah. Any damage to the rear of the car could affect the sensors.

At the dealer did you try to back up the car and see if the sensor error appeared?

Also, I would expect -- but maybe it is too much to expect -- the Dodge tech could connect a Dodge specific diagnostic computer to the car and query/check for any back up sensor malfunction.
There’s no rear damage though, only side, and the car itself doesn’t give a warning, only the Uconnect report that’s emailed. I’ll ask the tech to do that, thank you!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Even side damage if this results in one or more sensors being out of position, aimed incorrectly.

But get the condition diagnosed and be sure.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
66 Posts
I got sideswiped and now I’m wondering what the cost would be to repair the dent/paint of the rear quarter panel? I’m reading anywhere between $1000-$4000, which seems to be a very wide margin. Anyone ever had similar damage?

Thanks!
I just got my car back from the body shop earlier this week. Total cost was $1380.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
66 Posts
It’s Octane Red, so has some flakes in it. Not sure how many stages?

As long as it passes the end-of-lease inspection I’m fine with it. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Seeing as it’s the dealers body shop that’s doing the repair and the dealer will be doing the inspection it should be ok. FWIW, they gave a me a really nice discount because I’m paying cash out of pocket. Going through insurance would’ve been closer to $2k.
I don't understand one thing. If you got sideswiped why would you pay cash out of pocket, and why would you care how much it costs?
I was also sideswiped and I went through my collision to get the car fixed so I wouldn't have to deal with the other guys insurance company. I pay my deductible and my insurance company goes after the other guys insurance company for reimbursement for the repairs. After they get paid they refund my deductible.

I got my car fixed at a State Farm Select body shop because State Farm guarantees the repair for as long as I own the car, and they also guarantee the color will match or they have the body shop do it over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts