Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup bros...
Basically just got all new LEDS for my challenger 13 sxt
I got the break lights in the front and the back and also the taillight, as you all know for the 13 models it's basically 6 bulbs, now I installed it without a problem they turn on and off, the problem comes when I'm driving and I need to go left or right...my turn signals don't just go JUST left or JUST right they all turn on at the same time (as if the emergency blinker lights were being turned on) I've tried disconnecting the battery, removing and putting back the fuse, and it still does the same thing...

Any ideas or suggestions???
Maybe somebody went through the same problem and have the solution?
Thanks bros👍🏼

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
Do the actual turn signals on the outside of the car malfunction like this or just the dash turn signal indicators?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the actual turn signals on the outside of the car malfunction like this or just the dash turn signal indicators?
The outside lights do this fast flashing thing both of them at the same time, even if I put left or right both of them flash at the same time

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
The hyper flashing should not be a thing if you wired the resistors inline correctly.

Did you wire in resistors to the turn signal wiring harnesses?

If so, where did they come from, the LED bulb manufacturer or 3rd party off Amazon/eBay?

The resistors, or lack of a resistor, shouldn’t cause both side to energize when only one side is commanded, but attacking this one problem at a time may be the best approach. Trying to resolve all at once could be too difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hyper flashing should not be a thing if you wired the resistors inline correctly.

Did you wire in resistors to the turn signal wiring harnesses?

If so, where did they come from, the LED bulb manufacturer or 3rd party off Amazon/eBay?

The resistors, or lack of a resistor, shouldn’t cause both side to energize when only one side is commanded, but attacking this one problem at a time may be the best approach. Trying to resolve all at once could be too difficult.
I bought the LED bulbs off of ebay

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
I bought the LED bulbs off of ebay
They should have come with some resistors to wire inline to the turn signal wiring harness that the bulbs plug into. If they didn’t, you will need some to overcome the hyper flash situation. They could be the cause of the other problems, IDK, I haven’t seen/experienced the other issues before.

You can order those resistors off eBay, Amazon, or even pick some locally at an Autozone or O’Reillys. Here’s an example of the ones Sylvania makes:

You will need two for the front (one per side), and probably two for the back if you replaced bulbs back there too.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
Unless he bought LEDs with built in resistors.
I’ve never heard of such black magic voodoo, is that even possible with a 3157 bulb size?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I’ve never heard of such black magic voodoo, is that even possible with a 3157 bulb size?
Yes it is.

FWIW, I had converted all of the rear bulbs on my 11 Challenger SRT. One time when I activated the left turn signal all the bulbs lit up. I finally traced it down to the left most side bulb being defective. When I replaced the bulb everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes it is.

FWIW, I had converted all of the rear bulbs on my 11 Challenger SRT. One time when I activated the left turn signal all the bulbs lit up. I finally traced it down to the left most side bulb being defective. When I replaced the bulb everything went back to normal.
I also haven't heard of any actual or "true" 3157 LED bulbs with built in resistors. Could you link to them? I'm wondering how thats possible as well. Without the LED becoming ridiculously hot how could that be possible?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks! I looked around too after posting and found some on TRS by Morimoto which I've read and heard is one of the all time best LED brands.

They offer white, amber, switch-back, and red. I'll be adding these to my wishlist. Probably get amber or switch-back for the front and red for the rear.

Then I saw some on VLEDs which are significantly more expensive for some reason only in red or amber.

GTR lighting has some as well, which come highly recommended from Headlight Revolution. Red, white, amber, and switch-back.

I had held off on getting LEDs for the turn signal bulbs ultimately because of the whole messy deal with needing to add resistors but if all these reputable brands have resistors built in then shit why not.

·
Registered
590 Posts
External resistors have the advantage of being able to be mounted where the heat is not a problem. Also, if you replace all of the rear lights as I did to maintain the correct color and because I was using the Web sequential system the amp load is double with the internal resisted bulbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
External resistors have the advantage of being able to be mounted where the heat is not a problem. Also, if you replace all of the rear lights as I did to maintain the correct color and because I was using the Web sequential system the amp load is double with the internal resisted bulbs.
Do you mean you think it would be unwise to use them unless I also had a sequential system installed?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
What do you recommend I should do?
Put the originals back and see if it is OK. If it is OK, then replace them 1 at a time and test. My guess is an incorrect bulb, or a bulb in incorrectly.

Reactions: deano379

·
Registered
590 Posts
Do you mean you think it would be unwise to use them unless I also had a sequential system installed?
Unwise to use what? LEDs or resistors?
Sequentials have no bearing on using LEDs. LEDs consume less power, that is their biggest advantage. If you don't object to hyper flash, they don't need resistors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unwise to use what? LEDs or resistors?
Sequentials have no bearing on using LEDs. LEDs consume less power, that is their biggest advantage. If you don't object to hyper flash, they don't need resistors.
Ahh nevermind then. I thought you meant it would be unwise to use LEDs in the back without the sequential kit because it would draw less power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts