Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me they don't stock or order spray paint for the rims. They only have body paint. Where can I buy rim paint?
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
My son works at Oreilly's. They have a paint tough up color chart. I have yet to take a color to him he couldn't match so close you couldn't tell the difference. Silver should really be easy.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Show your parts dept this picture!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
Don’t worry about body paint versus rim paint. Figure out what the name or paint code for that color of grey is, and then buy a paint pen of it for scratches and chips or spray cans of it for larger coatings.

That grey color may not have a paint code or name like the body paints do, and if so, just experiment until you find one that matches close enough.

Two things to remember about using the touch up paint you get from Dodge (whether in a pen or a spray can) to repair your wheels:
1) it will be a lacquer based paint (this will become important shortly)
2) those wheels have two coats of paint, one color and one clear.

The first is important because that means as long as you have some lacquer thinner on hand, you get infinite mulligans.

The second one is important if you try to spray the wheel with canned spray paint. You will need to also spray it with clear to match the other three.

If just doing small scratches and chips with the pen, don’t worry about the clear. They’ll be fine without it.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Reactions: JChampion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is I can't find the paint code for wheel paint. I see by the number of threads this is a common inquiry and I'm disgusted the dealers don't help. I don't want to try 5 cans just to finally get the right color. They made lots of Challengers with these rims so there is a need for the paint.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
The problem is I can't find the paint code for wheel paint. I see by the number of threads this is a common inquiry and I'm disgusted the dealers don't help. I don't want to try 5 cans just to finally get the right color. They made lots of Challengers with these rims so there is a need for the paint.
IF you know the paint color name, have them order the repair pen by part #:

A little sleuthing via Google, or even your window sticker, should tell you the name of the color.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Thanks, my dealer who I think of as lower than whale poop on the bottom of the ocean couldn't be bothered to give me this info.
My local dealer is the same. Why I drove over an hour to buy from someone who was glad to see me come in and extremely helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts