Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Pretty new when it comes to working on my own car but willing to learn. I have learned so far where every fluid goes when it comes to looking at my engine bay, except for one twist off cap that I seem to have a hard time taking off and I'm not even sure what it's for and what can and can not go in there. Please help! It's a 2014 dodge challenger srt 8. I have circled the cap/reservoir I'm talking about in red. Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,209 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) That's the PCV valve location

A Guy

Reactions: a6speed392

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Yes, that’s the PCV valve, and you should never pour or add anything into it if removed. It’s sole purpose is to let oil-laden dirty air out of the engine’s crankcase, directing it into the intake to be burned along with the incoming air charge destined for the combustion chambers.

If you ever decide to install a catch can on the engine, the hose running from that PCV valve to the intake will be where the catch can is supposed to go.

The catch can’s job is to filter the oil droplets out of that oily blow-by coming out of the crankcase before it gets into the intake where the oil droplets could coalesce and gunk things up over time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that’s the PCV valve, and you should never pour or add anything into it if removed. It’s sole purpose is to let oil-laden dirty air out of the engine’s crankcase, directing it into the intake to be burned along with the incoming air charge destined for the combustion chambers.

If you ever decide to install a catch can on the engine, the hose running from that PCV valve to the intake will be where the catch can is supposed to go.

The catch can’s job is to filter the oil droplets out of that oily blow-by coming out of the crankcase before it gets into the intake where the oil droplets could coalesce and gunk things up over time.
Thank you Nuke! Great explanation and will definitely be getting a catch can soon!

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Those PCV's are tight too. Pliers are required to turn them. Here's how it looks with a catch can....
Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Automotive super charger part

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Those PCV's are tight too. Pliers are required to turn them. Here's how it looks with a catch can.... View attachment 995975
Hey, what’s up with that water pump? You have a hose coming out of where mine just has a brass plug.

I use that plug to burp the air anytime I drain and fill the coolant, so how do you do that with your fancy, hose-laden setup there??

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Hey, what’s up with that water pump? You have a hose coming out of where mine just has a brass plug.

I use that plug to burp the air anytime I drain and fill the coolant, so how do you do that with your fancy, hose-laden setup there??
I dunno. Factory 2016 6.4 Scat Pack.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I dunno. Factory 2016 6.4 Scat Pack.
Hmmm, well, the next time you’re under there detailing the engine bay or checking the oil, look down and see if you can tell where that hose goes. This is a mystery I must solve!

Reactions: 72/340

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
Hmmm, well, the next time you’re under there detailing the engine bay or checking the oil, look down and see if you can tell where that hose goes. This is a mystery I must solve!

View attachment 995987
On a Magnum, that goes to the rear heater. Like in a minivan. (Just kidding, I'll have to look at mine)

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
On a Magnum, that goes to the rear heater. Like in a minivan. (Just kidding, I'll have to look at mine)
At your minivan or your Magnum? 🤨

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts

View attachment 995987
I can't see where it goes once it goes under the alternator Here's the part number to research it...
Auto part Tire Wheel

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
I can't see where it goes once it goes under the alternator Here's the part number to research it... View attachment 996001
if it is going under the alternator, it is part of the oil cooler assembly.

I actually have one of those on the 5.7L in my Pursuits, but instead of connecting at the pump, the line intersects with the thermostat housing.

yours is probably a better way to plumb in that coolant, as mine requires a whole different different housing for oil cooler equipped cars (SRTs basically in these older years), whereas yours can use the same thermostat housing as all other Hemi’s, and just requires a separate fitting to go in place of the burp plug.

a design improvement implementation is all it is 🤓

Reactions: 72/340
1 - 13 of 13 Posts