Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this happen? Always happens when I start the car and backing out the garage, I attibute that to losing the satellite signal momentarily, but even driving around, and just every so often, it does the same; only for a moment, and then it's back. Anyone else?

Not trying to duplicate topics, but didn't want to hijack the subscription thread.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've subscribed to Sirius for the past 8 years and have noticed this problem on every radio I've had, including the one in my house. Satellite radio uses a "line of sight" signal. In other words. the signals don't bounce off solid objects like broadcast radio signals do. There has to be a direct, unobstructed line between the antenna and the satellite. I was told that momentary blank outs can be attributed to something in the sky momentarily disrupting the signal - high level atmospheric disturbances, space junk, a large flock of birds, etc. Also, depending on where you are geographically, the surrounding terrain and trees can interfere with the signal, especially if you're in an area where the satellite signal is coming at an oblique angle instead of being perpendicular to the antenna.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I only lose the signal for a second or 2 when backing out the garage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My last radio was bad, it happened all the time. So far the radio in my Challenger has been much better. Other than when I pull out of my garage, I don't think it has happened any.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK; I guess this is normal. It's only consistent coming out the garage, and then I'm sure it's something blocking the signal as mentioned. Not a big deal, and if Sirius doesn't offer a reduced rate when my subscription expires, I suspect it will never be an issue at all!

·
Banned
557 Posts
I've noticed this with the Challenger (Sirius) and my wife's Equinox (XM). Any time we are under a bridge or the canopy at Sonic drive-in we lose signal. It's rather annoying, but as others noted I don't think there is much you can do as it's a "line of sight" issue.

On a side note, when it happens I frequently laugh as I have a commercial I created/play in my brain where I'm driving through traffic with tunes blaring and then blank and then it resumes. Shortly after a broadcaster says "yep, that's satellite radio for you!". It'd be a great ad for someone to really do and advertise local HD radio that doesn't do that.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I rarely have had that problem, but now that you mentioned it, perhaps I have had a blip, but that is normal and it is only for a second. In a building, yeah.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yep, normal with satellite radio. If you go under something you'll lose service for a second, or there can be a few dead spots.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
happens to me too.

funny story- a blonde i know once asked me (since I am an engineer) whats wrong with her radio. Every time she goes into a tunnel, her radio stops working. BUT her tape player seems to work just fine in the same tunnel. Why is that?

lol

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Losing satellite signals is standard with Sirius radio as opposed to terrestial radio. XM radio solved this problem by building repeaters and delaying the broadcast. Since Sirius and XM are now merged, it will be interesting to see if Sirius adopts some of the innovations developed by XM.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
503 Posts
will happen when satelite signal is interrupted IE under bridges, tunnels ets even your garage..get used to it.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Losing satellite signals is standard with Sirius radio as opposed to terrestial radio. XM radio solved this problem by building repeaters and delaying the broadcast. Since Sirius and XM are now merged, it will be interesting to see if Sirius adopts some of the innovations developed by XM.
Interesting. My wife's Equinox still loses signal though and it's XM. However, we have noticed only at Sonic (sitting under canopy) and the car has to be parked for more than just a few seconds. Using the repeaters to delay the broadcast would make sense for the lag.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is normal. I just traded in a 2004 Chevy Avalanche that ALMOST NEVER lost signal, but would blank out around the same cell phone tower I passed every day on my way home from work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i know its an old topic here...but i noticed my hockey puck if you will, has a blind spot the rear side. if you block the top front left right..no signal loss, put your finger on the back.. DEAD. I know the signal drops, but constantly any little overpass, 10ft tree? Another thread mentioned the antenna may be bad, but I cant get the dealership to replace it, they just say thats normal deal with it. what happened to lifetime warranty??! its only a year old even!!

Has anyone tried an aftermarket antenna? or dual? maybe one in the front.. if it is possible to splice a 2nd one? I want to get lifetime subscription but not with this cruddy signal. other challys say its not as bad as mine ..HELP!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
i know its an old topic here...but i noticed my hockey puck if you will, has a blind spot the rear side. if you block the top front left right..no signal loss, put your finger on the back.. DEAD. I know the signal drops, but constantly any little overpass, 10ft tree? Another thread mentioned the antenna may be bad, but I cant get the dealership to replace it, they just say thats normal deal with it. what happened to lifetime warranty??! its only a year old even!!

Has anyone tried an aftermarket antenna? or dual? maybe one in the front.. if it is possible to splice a 2nd one? I want to get lifetime subscription but not with this cruddy signal. other challys say its not as bad as mine ..HELP!!!

Sounds like you have an older version antenna. Most of the newer ones are shark fin types. Did yours come installed with the car or is it aftermarket? The old antennas have trouble sometimes due to not enough power to pull the signal out of the noise floor. Maybe check your power connections if you're able. Otherwise, you might want to look into a new antenna as it does sound like it's f'd up a bit. I've had mine in my truck for the last few years with no probs, except for the occasional dropout through steep canyons, tunnels, etc, which are expected. And if you can beat the 8 second delay built in through a tunnel you won't lose the signal, though it does have to be a pretty short tunnel or going really fast.:)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Mine does the same thing backing out of the garage. If you loose the signal long enough you will see Acquiring signal on the radio read out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you have an older version antenna. Most of the newer ones are shark fin types. Did yours come installed with the car or is it aftermarket? .... be a pretty short tunnel or going really fast.:)
This is a stock antenna, i got the lifetime warranty for all the electronics, but wonder why did i bother if they wont even bother to look at it. How would i get to the antenna from the headliner to check? and the head unit? (looks like glove box is a way in?) Am i looking for loose connections or?? Any input would be awesome. Yes if i do 90+ the under passes are not an issue, neither are trees, but then Radar and slow traffic becomes the issue..LOL

I haven't seen any shark fin antennas on Challengers, even the 2010's unless this is what you are referring to? More of a bump.. Sharkfin i think of whats on the BMWs and such...

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Antenna on my 2010 looks just like the one in the picture. I have never seen one of the shark fin type antennas on a Challenger either. I don't see that many of them driving around though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My car loses the satellite signal in the garage (and under overpasses), but my home unit has it's antenna inside the house and picks up the signal no problem. Why can't this antenna be used on cars?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts