Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sirius Rant...and question *UPDATE: New Question*

So, my one year free of Sirius ended in January, as I had the car parked I didn't care much. Now that I've had it back out for a couple of weeks, I decided I liked missed the variety of music. So, I called Sirius to see what they could do. The lady told me "go online, all of our packages and prices are there." Okay, not what I've read or been told by about 1,000 other people but whatever.

Decide on the Mostly Music package for $9.99 a month. Go through the whole hassle of registering online, getting my radio ID number, get to the end...and get a message that says "Sorry, you can't complete this online. Please call XXXXXX." So I call the number and have to listen to a 5 minute spiel about how I can do everything online. Uh, fail. Then after that, realize that the number is only voice-activated (which I hate), and is for current subscribers. They want my phone #, account #, etc. After pressing zero enough times, finally speak to someone who sets me up with 6 months of the Mostly Music package for a total of $44. She ends by telling me to tune my satellite radio to Channel 184 and leave it on at 4:45 PM (the time I told her I'd be in the car). Well, I get in the car, turn on the radio, tune it to Satellite...and find that I can't pick a channel. It just says "To Subscribe, call Sirius at XXXXX". Ugh. So I call, first try the automated area - fail - and then speak to a person who said he resent the signal and give it 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I drove home another 20 minutes and nothing. Still no satellite.

And, I'm sorry, but Sirius - can you maybe hire at least one person that speaks passable English? I spent more time saying "What? Huh? Can you please repeat that?" than I did trying to get the radio to work.

Okay, rant done. Now, my question...has anyone else had a problem getting the radio to activate? Just wondering if it's a Sirius problem or a problem with my radio. For what it's worth, I had no issues with it working during the free trial period.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you had renewed it before the trial period was over, you would have just taken over the account that was set up for it. However, since the trial period is over and that account was deactivated, you have to treat it like it's a new radio, which means setting up a new account. If you can't register/activate it on line I'll bet they didn't clear the ESN from the old account when it expired, so it can't be assigned to your new account yet (I had that problem with the end of a trial period in my Audi). You need to have them check to see if that ESN is still active and if so, get them to deactivate it.

Once they do that, you shouldn't have any problems activating the radio. You do have to leave it on channel 184 for a while, though, so it can receive the activation signal and download the programming information. You said you were in the car at 4:45. What time were you talking to them? If it was more than 15 minutes earlier I'll bet they sent the activation signal and the car didn't get it because it wasn't on. If they've set your account properly, you can send another activation signal from your on line user account if you missed the first one. But before you do, make sure the radio is on and set to channel 184. (And if you can't log on to your user account at the Sirius web site, they haven't set up your account properly.

I agree with what you said about them not speaking passable English, though. Their phone customer support is one of the two worst ones I've ever dealt with (Comcast is the other).

Incidentally, in the future if you store the vehicle for an extended time, you can have them suspend your account for a specific time. It saves the hassle of having to cancel the account then re-register it a few months later.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - the ESN thing makes sense. I'll talk to them about that tomorrow.

I can't tune my radio to channel 184, though. When I turn on the Satellite portion, there is just a screen that says "To Subscribe, Call XXXX". No other options, no buttons work - there is no way to turn to any channel. Not sure if this is the problem or not?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally spoke to someone at Sirius who sounded (at least a little) like they knew what they were doing. She said that I had to go to a dealer and have them do a "hard reset". I've done some searching, it seems like this is done by pulling the IOD fuse, then holding the Open/Close button for 10 seconds.

Is that it, or would the dealer be doing something else?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
So, my one year free of Sirius ended in January, as I had the car parked I didn't care much. Now that I've had it back out for a couple of weeks, I decided I liked missed the variety of music. So, I called Sirius to see what they could do. The lady told me "go online, all of our packages and prices are there." Okay, not what I've read or been told by about 1,000 other people but whatever.

Decide on the Mostly Music package for $9.99 a month. Go through the whole hassle of registering online, getting my radio ID number, get to the end...and get a message that says "Sorry, you can't complete this online. Please call XXXXXX." So I call the number and have to listen to a 5 minute spiel about how I can do everything online. Uh, fail. Then after that, realize that the number is only voice-activated (which I hate), and is for current subscribers. They want my phone #, account #, etc. After pressing zero enough times, finally speak to someone who sets me up with 6 months of the Mostly Music package for a total of $44. She ends by telling me to tune my satellite radio to Channel 184 and leave it on at 4:45 PM (the time I told her I'd be in the car). Well, I get in the car, turn on the radio, tune it to Satellite...and find that I can't pick a channel. It just says "To Subscribe, call Sirius at XXXXX". Ugh. So I call, first try the automated area - fail - and then speak to a person who said he resent the signal and give it 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I drove home another 20 minutes and nothing. Still no satellite.

And, I'm sorry, but Sirius - can you maybe hire at least one person that speaks passable English? I spent more time saying "What? Huh? Can you please repeat that?" than I did trying to get the radio to work.

Okay, rant done. Now, my question...has anyone else had a problem getting the radio to activate? Just wondering if it's a Sirius problem or a problem with my radio. For what it's worth, I had no issues with it working during the free trial period.
I had a similar issue, on my new Challenger, which I picked up on April 2nd, and on April 10th my radio went to "to subscribe call..."

After SEVERAL calls to Sirius and utter lack of finding any English speaking persons, I finally had to call my dealer (the next day), and they called Sirius for me and got it turned back on. I had no way of getting if fixed on my own, website or not...Sirius customer service SUCKS big time!!!

JS

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I let my subscription run out. I immediately got letters offering a $77 package for one year. Now when I turn on my satellite, it automatically is set to 184. Right now I'm loading my wife's vast CD library to my hard drive, so I don't miss Sirius. Maybe I'll go back, but I will NEVER pay $12.95 per month. I took the $77 deal with my wife's Mustang though.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have no problems paying for Sirius, it's worth it to me just to get rid of the endless ads and stuff on FM radio. When I got my Charger, the dealer had activated the 1 year sub as soon as the car was delivered to them, so a few months after I got it, it expired. I called Sirius, and they reset it to make it a year from the month after I got it, and It actually went another month past that before I was billed again. When I got my Challenger, I moved my quarterly subscription from the Charger to the new car. That went fine, I won't be billed for service until May '12), but they began calling me and sending me letters wanting me "back". I kept telling them I had just bought a new car and hadn't "left", but the calls and letters kept coming. I finally got the right person and the calls and mail stopped, and they gave me a free month for my hassles. This is the 4th vehicle I've had with Sirius, and I will never be without it. It sounds like crap, but I don't listen to music on it much anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My subscription ran out in December.

Last month they offered 6 mos for $30.

This month they offered 5 mos for $25.

I wondering if it will get better if I wait.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My second year (paid sunscription) ended on the annivesary on purchasing my car - April 13th. Sirius worked early in the morning but two minutes into the drive home it went out - it said Subscription Update and then the Renew Sirius -call number came on. Talk about being on the stick. Turned off the radio/satellite to the hour I brought her home. Sure do miss it but I need to get used to it. Time for more CD's or plug into it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had a similar issue, on my new Challenger, which I picked up on April 2nd, and on April 10th my radio went to "to subscribe call..." JS
Mine went dead today too, three months after I bought it. I ended up talking to two different people, one of whom said the radio had never been activated (I guess I've been having auditory hallucinations for the past three months). Then she said she would have to "escalate" my case to "corporate" to let them determine if I "qualify" for the year free trial that the window sticker said I get. In the meantime they've (re)activated radio for a short time while they figure out what they're going to do. I'm supposed to call back in a week to find out if I can have my one year free service back.

I have a feeling I'll end up having to get Chrysler involved in this one!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
My chally still has the previous owners Sirius account active. I am wondering how long I can get it for free!
Always wondered about that. If they automatically renew by charging your credit card, theoretically, if the previous owner doesn't monitor his credit card statements, you could have it for a long time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep,they sent another offer to reactivate my Sirius for $25/5 months too.Sounds like a deal.But....the bottom of the offer was filled with a library of fine print.We know what that means,no free lunch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Guys,

Try 888-635-5142. I went through a lot of the same garbage when I attempted to renew the subscription for our two cars. After dealing with morons on several phone calls, I found this number online. It' supposed to be to corporate Sirrius......anyway after telling them that the price I had received snail mail was not going to work, I negotiated a lower price. I took care of everything in one phone call! It's been about a year, so I hope the number is still good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The FM stations in my area play better music than Sirius. I let it expire. Thank God, no more cutting in and out, and no more lousy music selections.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What the heck!!! My one year expired in Sept just before I put the car away for the winter. At that time Sirius offered me the monthly plan or the lifetime plan which was 499 plus tax, ect. I figured I would think about it until the spring so I just called them. Turns out the lifetime plan is now $775 dollars plus whatever. Are u F'in kidding me? They said the 499 was a special offer they were having in the fall that no longer is being offered. It seems every time you talk to someone the price is different. I would go for the 499 but 775? Really? Seriously Siruis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I bought my first Hemi in 2005 (a Charger), I decided I liked the satellite radio. DaimlerChrysler paid for the first year of Sirius. I called them up and ask them about the program called Sirius for life. It was approximately $575 and Chrysler had already paid for the first $133 of that. So I paid the rest in 2005 and still have it for free in my 2010 Challenger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I must just be lucky. I got my new Chally 3 weeks ago. Called Sirius to activate it the next day and withing 5 minutes was done without issues.

I personally had great customer service from them.

Skarn

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I must just be lucky. I got my new Chally 3 weeks ago. Called Sirius to activate it the next day and withing 5 minutes was done without issues.

I personally had great customer service from them.

Skarn
Just wait...

I used to have good service, too, but apparently after you've been their customer for years and have 3 subscriptions with them, they cease to care...?

JS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts