Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone renewed their Sirius radio subscription lately? Last year about this time the going rate was $77 for a year any deals or specials going on this year? What have people been paying?

Mine is coming up for renewal again in March and they have sent the first notice for around $140 + a $15.88 music fee.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
o_O everyone I know pays about 15-20$ a year..I wouldn't every pay 75+...most people have family plans with Sirius\XM though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Last year they tried to charge me $350 for two cars. All you have to do is call them, they try to screw you hard if you don't fight it. They'll reduce it if you call.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Mine is up in April... i won't renew unless it is close to $70... I ended up letting it expire and after about 6 weeks of trying to get me they gave me the $77 deal for 1 year last year. I will do the same if required.

I did see a story yesterday that Sirius is going to raise their rates soon.. The three years after the merger when they could not raise rates is just about over so they want to raise their rates.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
...Mine is coming up for renewal again in March and they have sent the first notice for around $140 + a $15.88 music fee.
I'm sorry... a $15.88 music fee? WTF? Mine is about to expire as well. Last week I get called (on my cell phone) from Sirius, the call went like this:

Sales: Would you like to continue listening to commercial free music?
Me: It isn't commercial free.
Sales: Oh yes, we offer commercial free music on all channels.
Me: No, you don't. I hear commercials on every channel I listen to.
Sales: I didn't know that.
Me: Do you use Sirius personally?
Sales: Um, no I don't have it in my car.
Me: Oh, so its not worth the money to you either?
Sales: Well if you change your mind here is our 888 xxx-xxxx number.

This is from a business week article:

At Sirius, advertising contributed 5.4 percent of revenue in the second quarter. On its Aug. 1 analyst conference call, management said, with respect to advertising sales, that "the department continues to carefully ramp up its staffing as we progress toward our long-term goal of having ad sales approach 10 percent of our overall revenue."

So serious has already announced the intention to double the commercials on their "commercial free" system.

Not for me, I'm going to be part of the cancellation trend Sirius is now experiencing. Besides, if I hear that woman truck driver going from Ontario CA to Ontario Canada one more time I think I'll drive myself into a bridge piling.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here's what I did about 2 weeks ago.Called the customer service and cancled.Asked to be sent to customer care.Then I asked for the $53 dollar a year promo I heard about on Challengertalk.The rep said how about $50 a year.Then she gave me a direct phone number and said call here next year.
Customer care 866-519-7570

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I let mine expire - the rate keeps going down with each mailing - the latest is 5 months for $20 with no re-subscribe fee...still not going for it.

If you hold off, the price keeps coming down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine expires in mid July.
I called about the lifetime activation...they mentioned that they no longer offer that, and that you can purchase up to 5 years for $600 USD.

In July, I plan to take advantage of my 30GB hard disk, and load up on some MP3s.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Gman, that 30 gig hard drive is more like a little less than 20 for some reason. There isn't all that much available space. I filled mine up nice and quick. I'm gonna be waiting it out on my sirius till I get a real good offer, I won't be driving it for a while now as its hibernating so I can definitely give it a little time.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Unless you do a lot of traveling, I don't see the big advantage to Sirius vs. a premium FM channel. Frankly, I like a little talk, and I don't mind a few commercials. I guess it's all personal choice, but Sirius is definitely NOT worth more than $20-$25 a year to me. Even then, I would have to think about it.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
The music I listen to is nowhere to be found on fm radio, and too much of the music I despise is played non stop. Sirius area, chill, and the rock/metal channels are awesome. Don't listen to anything but sirius and hard drive music in my car.

·
Registered
653 Posts
There are really only a few stations on FM that play anything but the new crap. I mostly listen to Sirius 1-20, 40, and 45. the latter 2 aren't found on FM because of censoring so it's pretty much a requirement for me to get Sirius.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Last Nov. I got an offer for 4 months for $23.05. At that time I had 3 long trips planned, so I took the offer. Then I'll cancel it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Speaking of Sirius, does anyone find the Sirius traffic helpful? I have taken a couple of trips down to FL but have yet to get anything out of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I drive from Indianapolis to Lafayette everyday. The Traffic has come in handy every now and then to avoid sitting on the I-65 parking lot.

My subscription will be running out shortly and am not excited to hear what lame offers there are willing to give me.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Maybe in the big city FM is OK but here it stinks. They don't have very many stations and they play the songs that are 6 months old as new songs and don't play the good older songs. If you listen of a morning you very seldom hear a song. Just a bunch of talking to each other and selling stuff. I've got XM in my co. truck and I won't have anything without a satelite radio

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I'm sorry... a $15.88 music fee? WTF?

The Music fee is a royalty that XM and Sirius has to pay to whomever owns the rights to the songs you hear. I guess the idea is that Sat. radio is making $$ off of playing music that is other peoples property. Nothing can be done about that fee. It has been there just hidden in the fine print.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't drive far enough on a daily basis to renew it, and I am annoyed with all the commercials.

·
Banned
557 Posts
My wife and I both bought new cars within the last couple months. Both are vehicles have satellite radios, some new technology to both us. In her Equinox, she has XM and loves it. I'm not a fan. I just can't find a station I really, really enjoy listening to in her car. I understand that XM/Sirius merged but the freebie package Chevy/XM provides is pretty basic.

In the Challenger, I am more pleased with Sirius because of better selection. However, I am not overly enthralled. It's nice from time to time, but not a "must have" for me. In fact, once I get my steering wheel controls and iPod adapter hooked up I will probably be listening to my own collection 99% of the time, guaranteed to be music I like and commercial free. ;)

The XM folks called just the other day to renew the wife's subscription. They offered it for $4/mo. She took it. The Sirius people haven't called yet, but I still have about 5.5 months of free listening. When they do, I'm not even sure I'd pay $4/mo for it. More like $2/mo or $25/year is what I think it's worth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts