Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year trial is up this week, and of course they are hammering me to renew. I'm having a hard time justifying $250 per year for an app, I don't feel the services are used enough to justify that kind of price tag. I mean, I can put a pin on Google maps to find my car, and the remote lock/horn is shaky at best. I don't feel it's worth it. What's the general feeling towards this? I searched, but didn't find anything recent so thought I'd ask and see what the general opinion is...

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
I only use SiriusXM radio for the music in my 2014. When I bought it back in June and registered it with Dodge as the new owner, I received a notice in the mail from Sirius that they were giving me 3 months free. Cool. I like it. Weeks before expiring I kept receiving renew or lose it notices. I didn't respond so a week or so before termination I got a renewal notice for another 3 months for $2.00. So I signed up. I guess if you're patient you might be able to take advantage of a good deal. See what happens. B-

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't even bother with it. Last week I got four, yes, four, letters in one day for my 2019 for XM guardian. I had to jump through a number of hoops to contact someone and ask what's going on and to stop all of the spam, as there is no contact info on the letters they sent me.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
I assume you don't even get the XM radio subscription with that since I've also been getting renewal letters for just the radio alone as well as the Guardian for my 2018 Grand Cherokee. I thought $150 for the Unconnect on my 2016 Challenger was a bit much but $250 for the same thing under a different name? Nope. If you wait everyone will send discount offers. The Uconnect went down a bunch and XM's last offer was $60 for the year. I would have taken the XM but I'm just so tired of going through the hassle when it is about to expire, calling someone halfway around the word and play games to get another discount. So I'll let everything expire on both my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I assume you don't even get the XM radio subscription with that since I've also been getting renewal letters for just the radio alone as well as the Guardian for my 2018 Grand Cherokee. I thought $150 for the Unconnect on my 2016 Challenger was a bit much but $250 for the same thing under a different name? Nope. If you wait everyone will send discount offers. The Uconnect went down a bunch and XM's last offer was $60 for the year. I would have taken the XM but I'm just so tired of going through the hassle when it is about to expire, calling someone halfway around the word and play games to get another discount. So I'll let everything expire on both my vehicles.
XMGuardian and Sirius are two different things.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought my GT in 2017 with the free subscriptions. In the end I let both expire without renewing. Spotify and iHeartRadio provide me with all the music I need. The only feature I liked with Guardian was the tracking in case of theft. In the end I decided my risk of theft was low so I didn’t renew. I think if I had a higher risk of theft, I might have kept guardian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I don't bother with the sirius radio, have never even turned it on. Spotify here for me too. I do find it a bit preposterous that my 2016's renewal was $150, and now it's gone up another $100. I'm going to let it expire then when they call I'll offer a ridiculously low offer for it...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I actually like having XM available. There is just something to be said for all of the different channels they have and the fact that the music just plays - without you having to "suggest" what is played and hoping it plays music that you actually like. I have a hard time getting apps like Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc - to play "random" music from certain genres or time periods reliably - whereas I find that XM nails it from that perspective. Maybe I'm just not good at using the steaming apps (very possible, actually - I haven't spent a ton of time learning the ins-and-outs of them), but I just struggle with getting them to play "good" music "randomly", without any intervention. Not to mention that XM also has sports, comedy, news, etc - all available quickly and easily from my head-unit (including channel "directories", etc).

I just renewed my expired trial subscription (came with car for free) and only pay $5.99 per month, which also includes internet streaming - so I can listen to XM anywhere and everywhere.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use the XM but never even enabled the Guardian. Plus the dealer had installed Lojack in the car which I also never bothered to turn on. My car is in the garage 22 out of 24 hrs/day. Unless you live/work in an area where car theft is a big problem, I can't see the value of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got four, yes, four, letters in one day
That's why they had to jack that price up, lol....postage adds up. Don't remember who gave me this tip years ago but it does bring me slight joy from time to time: When you get that junk mail and it has a pre-paid reply envelope enclosed, stuff that bad boy with the junk mail and send it right on back.

Something about sending junk mail to the folks that send junk mail is right up my alley sometimes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I actually like having XM available. There is just something to be said for all of the different channels they have and the fact that the music just plays - without you having to "suggest" what is played and hoping it plays music that you actually like. I have a hard time getting apps like Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc - to play "random" music from certain genres or time periods reliably - whereas I find that XM nails it from that perspective. Maybe I'm just not good at using the steaming apps (very possible, actually - I haven't spent a ton of time learning the ins-and-outs of them), but I just struggle with getting them to play "good" music "randomly", without any intervention. Not to mention that XM also has sports, comedy, news, etc - all available quickly and easily from my head-unit (including channel "directories", etc).

I just renewed my expired trial subscription (came with car for free) and only pay $5.99 per month, which also includes internet streaming - so I can listen to XM anywhere and everywhere.
I think you're on to something there for sure. The ' radio stations' on Amazon are just playlists and that's not the same. Each time you select 'Tom Petty Radio' it will begin with "American Girl" 10/10...that's not radio at all. Don't get me wrong XM does this to an extent just like FM but it's much better IMHO. Sometimes I want those 'deep tracks' pun intended from the album not the hit that everyone and their brother knows...I'm in a rural area and sometimes the app just takes too damn long to load so XM has it's benefits...the sound quality kind of stinks IMO for XM if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That's why they had to jack that price up, lol....postage adds up. Don't remember who gave me this tip years ago but it does bring me slight joy from time to time: When you get that junk mail and it has a pre-paid reply envelope enclosed, stuff that bad boy with the junk mail and send it right on back.

Something about sending junk mail to the folks that send junk mail is right up my alley sometimes.
Sadly, it was only directions to set it up from the car. No pre paid envelopes inside or I'd have done just that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had my SPC for around 3 weeks now and last weekend activated the Guardian feature. When looking over the window sticker I noticed it listed 1 year free Sirius XM Radio but said nothing about the Guardian. I am assuming there is 1 year free Guardian also, they didn't ask about any payment when I set it up. They did mention the $250 renewal price per year...was that just for the Guardian? Is the Sirius XM Radio another $250 a year? If I don't get some really low renewal offers when the time comes I will probably let them go....
Todd

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am assuming there is 1 year free Guardian also, they didn't ask about any payment when I set it up.
Up to 1 year free of guardian. It's under the detailed info of the radio on the dodge website.

" SiriusXM Guardian™ includes a free trial of up to 12 months from original date of purchase or lease of a new vehicle "

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A 392
11 Posts
I’ve got Guardian enabled. I like the idea I can find my car in the off chance it was stolen. It gives me alerts on my phone if the car is outside a boundary I set. It also alerts me if the vehicle exceeds a certain speed.

I’m beginning to wonder if I decide to turn it off or cancel...Is it still sending that information? Did I just invite Big Brother into my car? Interested in anyone with credible source information about this.

To earlier points on the satellite radio service. I think it’s worth it and if you wait and are willing to negotiate you can have it for $4.99/month.

I call SiriusXM a day before renewal, say I want to cancel, when I’m transferred I say “Will you renew me again at the same price or do I have to cancel again?” Off the phone in 5 minutes. Some dollars > no dollars 💵

1 - 15 of 15 Posts