Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;

I have a 2012 SRT with the Harmon Kardon system, and an RHR 730N Nav/radio. For the first year I had a trial subscription to SiriusXM. However, all channels sounded like the vocals or music was recorded under water. I decided to let the subscription lapse. Regular radio and iPod music is great sound-wise

I'd like to find out if others had similar issues, and what - if any - fixes were accomplished, either by the Dealer, SiriusXM, or the car owner.

Thanks,
Carcass

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I haven't had an issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
430n, harmon kardon and mine sounds lousy too.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one - I think it sounds tinny and I have a base 2013 R/T with the base stereo (I think). Some channels seem worse than others to me - but overall they all sound shitty.

I never use Sirius because of that, but I'm lucky to be in the Nashville area where there are a ton of good FM stations anyway.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mine sounds great. Maybe it's a reception thing.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Way too much "compression" for my liking. To my ears, it sounded "tinny" too, though reception was always very good.

Let it expire, and listen to either CD's, or that Hemi sound!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I noticed it on my Challenger and now on the wife's Dart. It is most noticeable when first starting out. It seems once the buffer is full it sounds "a little" better, but not too much.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
sat radio is compressed...keep all the levels the same and turn to radio, cd, iPod, etc and it will be much louder and crisper

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
yes. I agree... sounds awful even compared to FM. and some channels are better than others.
I called Sirrus and asked about the terrible quality and they blamed it on the antenna on my Mustang,
but the quality is no better on my Challenger (maybe worse). they told me to get an aftermarket antenna
and the sound would improve........... hmmm. my Avalanche had XM and it sounded fantastic so..
I have no idea.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did the same thing, sounds bad, not worth paying for. I stream Pandora using the cord (sounds better than bluetooth) and i'm happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
XM does sound crappy and from my iphone now music off the hard drive sounds the best

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you have any "ears", it will always sound crappy, it's too compressed to really sound good. I would pay the money for Howard Stern and Jay Thomas alone. I almost never listen to music on Sirius/XM when I can listen to stuff I really like, that actually sounds good off the HD or something plugged into the USB port.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Must be the Yellow! :)

Probably, :bowdown: hehehehehehehe. My only complaint is the signal loss... bridges, overpasses, those "blackout areas" around buildings/areas. Otherwise, :weed:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
All my cars with XM sound much better than the ones with Sirius. I also have better reception with XM than Sirius. I can pull into my garage with the door open and the Sirius will lose connection, the XM continues on. I have had the stereo unit in my 11 SRT8 replaced, it sounded a bit better but not as good as my XM in my other vehicles. XM is just better than Sirius, big difference, go find a GM car with XM and compare. I changed my 05 Dodge Truck from Sirius to XM it was worth it but there was no systems integration in that unit. I don't want to lose all the integration that is in the SRT unit so it will have to sound like crap when I listen to Sirius.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
glad to see that I am not the only one and that there has not been a fix since 08!

·
Registered
112 Posts
All my cars with XM sound much better than the ones with Sirius. I also have better reception with XM than Sirius. I can pull into my garage with the door open and the Sirius will lose connection, the XM continues on. I have had the stereo unit in my 11 SRT8 replaced, it sounded a bit better but not as good as my XM in my other vehicles. XM is just better than Sirius, big difference, go find a GM car with XM and compare. I changed my 05 Dodge Truck from Sirius to XM it was worth it but there was no systems integration in that unit. I don't want to lose all the integration that is in the SRT unit so it will have to sound like crap when I listen to Sirius.
very true...our 2013 ram is xm and it sounds pretty good. 2014 challenger sounds pretty bad

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi;

I have a 2012 SRT with the Harmon Kardon system, and an RHR 730N Nav/radio. For the first year I had a trial subscription to SiriusXM. However, all channels sounded like the vocals or music was recorded under water. I decided to let the subscription lapse. Regular radio and iPod music is great sound-wise

I'd like to find out if others had similar issues, and what - if any - fixes were accomplished, either by the Dealer, SiriusXM, or the car owner.

Thanks,
Carcass
Same model car & same sound system as yours...and same shitty Sirius sound

1 - 20 of 25 Posts