Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a 2010 R/T Auto but I am being offered a steal on a slightly used 2009 srt8. One thing about the SRT8 is it's a manual and I haven't driven a manual in over 16 yrs....so my question is "How difficult would the SRT8 be for more or less a novice manual driver to handle?". The wife would have to be taught also since she has never driven a manual vehicle. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Like riding a bike....I love to drive a stick and think that this one is super nice compared to others that I have owned. All the parts seem to work seamless together. The clutch is great too. Jay Leno sure liked it lol. You should go for it. Automatics are boring and remind me of lame rental cars. Just thinking about it makes me want to go for a spin. See ya!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yup, I agree, you'll dig the stick...errr...that sounds bad. The clutch is easy to learn, and you'll love the close ratios.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I had never driven a manual before I bought my 10 srt but I wasnt going to get an automatic muscle car. It took me a week to get used to the clutch and now its like second nature. Go for it!:browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've been at it all my driving life, so no big deal.

It's not hard to learn-- lot's and lot's of people pick up this skill without too much difficulty.

IMO-- the stick in this car is way more fun than an auto. Completely different beast.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i test drove a 2010 6 speed a few months ago...i havnt driven stick in 4 years. my last stick car was a toyota pickup (long throws)...it was amazingly easy...the 6 speed is very smooth and nice short throws...i worried it had been too long, but i drove it like a pro.

what are you worried about??

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
If you are being offered a "steal" ona sligtly used 2009 SRT8, go for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dont forget.. you will have "Hill Assist" it's gunna be easy to learn the stick!

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The 6 speed in the Challenger is easy as pie.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
The 6 speed in the Challenger is easy as pie.
And fun as hell. But... as a bro I suggest you do a search here and familiarize yourself with what wheel hop is. Doesn't sound like it will lessen your enjoyment but it does for many including myself.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Tough one.

I would rather have an SRT than an r/t, but that's my preference. But I also like the Auto better with these cars in particular.

2nd, if you dirve your car as much as I do, the Manual can become a pain after a while. It also depends where you live. Stop and go is horrible!

Manual is extremely fun, but fun factor wears off after a while if you are fighting traffic or doing any city driving.

I have driven a stick for 20+ years. This is my first Auto sport/muscle car. All other sport cars were manual, and I have had many. So I do know how fun it is, and I do also know how it eventually gets depending on your conditions.

Get some opinions from people who have switched one way or the other. There are many on here. Not just people who own a Manual. You are going to hear every Manual guy say how great it is, and then every Auto guy say how great his is. Nobody will ever knock what they purchased.

Lastly, do not let the fact that you have not driven a manual in a long time even be a factor in your decision. You will get in that car, and drive it like you never stopped.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
And fun as hell. But... as a bro I suggest you do a search here and familiarize yourself with what wheel hop is. Doesn't sound like it will lessen your enjoyment but it does for many including myself.

I know too much, I have a 392 auto on the way.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The wife would have to be taught also since she has never driven a manual vehicle.
The manual in a Challenger is EZ to drive. Since you've driven a manual before, zero concerns there. The only potential stumbling block is the wife - sounds like this would be her very first manual. If it turns out she absolutely hates driving the manual, is it a complete disaster if she doesn't drive the car? If not, the steal on the SRT sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Got my driver's license in 1983 on a 5 speed manual and drove only manual transmissions for 13 years. Then I got married and have only had automatics since. I got the 6spd R/T Classic in Sept of this year. Wife has a Grand Caravan so I went for the stick!

It took a few days to get used to the manual again and it's great! However, I find that the Challenger 6spd is not smooth, not like I remember. Also, it is a pain to drive in stop and go traffic but I'm happy with my decision to get the manual, it's alot of fun.... again!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Got my driver's license in 1983 on a 5 speed manual and drove only manual transmissions for 13 years. Then I got married and have only had automatics since. I got the 6spd R/T Classic in Sept of this year. Wife has a Grand Caravan so I went for the stick!

It took a few days to get used to the manual again and it's great! However, I find that the Challenger 6spd is not smooth, not like I remember. Also, it is a pain to drive in stop and go traffic but I'm happy with my decision to get the manual, it's alot of fun.... again!
How is it a pain? I just leave it in 2nd gear, and work the clutch. With the way the ratios are, you don't even need to worry about shifting...toss in a few revs to keep things rolling along.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't forget the Skip-Shift.

You will want to get a Skip-Shift Eliminator or a Predator Tuner to turn the 1 to 4 Skip-Shift off. This is my First 6-speed in 17 years. That Skip-Shift made me think I had forgotten how to drive one.

Speedinc has the skip-shift Eliminator for $16.99

Here is a Link:
http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Transmission

Took me Like 5 minutes to install it's just plug and play. This is a must for the 6-speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Every car I've ever purchased was a manual, so the R/T I bought a couple of months ago was no exception. The clutch is easy and the throws are short. The pistol grip is conformable and feels natural in the hand.

Although there is a "hill assist" s/w option, I agree with camarochevy1970 in that it interfered with my driving, so I simply disabled it. However, you may want this on if you live in a hilly area and are not used to a stick.

Conclusion: buy the manual: after all, this is why you're buying the Challenger, right?

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
V8 with gobs of torque that comes on early in the powerband + stick = like they were made to go together.

...that's all there is to say.

It's a level of "connectedness" you will have with the driving experience of this car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts