Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last fall I installed a new SLP Skip Shift Eliminator on my '10 Challenger SRT8. I thought it was working because I did not have any forced 1-4 shifts for several weeks, but then the dreaded and evil skip shift kicked in... I thought the unit might be bad, so I ordered a new one, which was installed yesterday. No dice. Within a few miles I was once again enjoying being forced from 1st to 4th. This is really annoying, to say the least. Is there anything I need to do to get the car to recognize the eliminator? Reset the computer, perhaps?

FWIW, I have never seen a “1–4 Skip Shift Indicator Message” or any other idiot lights indicating that this feature is installed/active on my ride.

Any/all suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
I think you may have installed it on the reverse lock out solenoid instead of the 2nd gear lock out solenoid. The SSE disconnects the solenoid from the PCM and has a resistor in it to fool the PCM that it is still connected. There is no way for the solenoid to be activated. A defective one will only set a code and turn on the MIL. Recheck installation. You want the forward of the two connectors.

1–4 Skip Shift
There are times when you must shift the transmission
directly from first gear to fourth gear instead of from first
gear to second gear. This is to help you get the best
possible fuel economy from your vehicle. This occurs
when the engine coolant (antifreeze) is higher than 106°F
(41°C), vehicle speed is greater than 19 mph (30 km/h)
but less than 21 mph (34 km/h), and the transmission is
in first gear, and the accelerator is at 1/4 throttle or less.
The 1–4 Skip Shift indicator message will be displayed
during these times.
When the 1–4 Skip Shift indicator message is displayed,
the shift mechanism will only allow shifts from first gear
to fourth gear. After you shift the transmission to fourth
gear, you can press the clutch in and shift to another
forward gear.

This is actually wrong as only blocks 2nd gear. Get the engine warm and drive it in 1st gear at 20 mph, odometer will read 1--4 and 2nd gear will be blocked.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
x2 The forward one just like the instuctions post. Otherwise you might be able to shift into reverse with rolling forward.
The skip shift indicator is in Digital read out forum under the speedo.
Looks like this

1> 4 Skip Shift.

Even after it's installed, the message will show up, but you'll be able to shift normally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, that would explain alot....

To be clear, there are (2) solenoids under there? Rear one is reverse lockout and front is skip shift?

As far as the message, I'm assuming I need the 'home' display active?

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
^ I agree, i have it installed in my 2010 srt8 with no problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Well if you installed it on the reverse solenoid it will NOT let u get reverse, hahaha! Oops did that here! There are two, the one you want is FOREWARD of the crossmember, up on the left side pointing down and forward. The reverse one is BEHIND the crossmember and points forward at the back of tranny. If you just jack up one side to install, you really have to get under and look farther up the drivers side of the tranny to find the correct one, as the wrong one was EASY to find. Don't feel bad, as instructions are kinda small and hard to read, but no reverse will confirm if it's on da wrong one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts