Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this still apply to 2016 manual trans Challengers or did FCA do away with this years ago? Can't seem to find anything in newer threads on this. Purchased a slightly used 2016 SPS and picking it up next week. Just doing some due diligence on REQUIRED mods (like Barton shift kit, shift delay valve, etc) and this subject matter came up. Does it apply to a 16? s it worth it? Best place to buy this? Thnx for the tips and suggestions.:wink3:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yes still applies to our generation challengers. Word or warning , i bough the speedlogix brand and got a check engine code after 6 months, spend a little extra and get the “JET” brand eliminatior been working for 1 year+ for me.
Ide also recommend doing the shifter and the eliminatior BEFORE taking out the clutch delay valve. I did, and i really dont see the need to take it out just yet. Without fighting the skip shift and using the barton, she just slides into gear now

*EDIT* https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/jet-61615.htm
Link to the correct one , goodluck !

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Yes still applies to our generation challengers. Word or warning , i bough the speedlogix brand and got a check engine code after 6 months, spend a little extra and get the “JET” brand eliminatior been working for 1 year+ for me.
Ide also recommend doing the shifter and the eliminatior BEFORE taking out the clutch delay valve. I did, and i really dont see the need to take it out just yet. Without fighting the skip shift and using the barton, she just slides into gear now

*EDIT* https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/jet-61615.htm
Link to the correct one , goodluck !
I tend to agree with you my friend on delay valve. I did both at sane time. I don't really feel a difference before or after delay removal. I used a cheap ebay harness, no issues yet.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182911928977

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
The skip shift only engages really at low RPM and to be honest driving like an old man. I don't rod my car and I have yet to have it happen more than a handful of times.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
The skip shift only engages really at low RPM and to be honest driving like an old man. I don't rod my car and I have yet to have it happen more than a handful of times.
It's still a PIA though

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It's still a PIA though

As well ss you learn to drive the car , i just hate how there’s no indication or anything. You think you’re going into second, you give the appropriate anount of throttle, BAM slips into 4th and your vibrating like a mofo

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought the speedlogix one just because it was cheap.. I installed it one saturday afternoon after hitting that damned feature 3 FREAKING TIMES in one day. pissed me off and nearly got ran over on one occurrence.. install it and never look back

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
if you plan on getting a tune just wait and have it disabled then. even the can tuners usually have the option to disable skip shift and MDS.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
My 2016 SP apparently a different build than everybody else's! It doesn't exhibit the funky symptoms as the others with the clutch delay or the sloppy shifter.

Yes, I'm joking... sorta.

My point is that my clutch seems to work as it should and I don't know what would be any different if I were to remove that valve. It's smooth, responsive, completely predictable, never jerky and never causes a shifting problem.

The shifter is as smooth as silk, has no 'slop" and doesn't miss shifts. When just poking around town between red lights you can shift the thing using two fingers with very little effort. I drove my brother's '16 SP right after he installed a Barton and was surprised at the amount of effort it took to change gears. I know you would get used to that "effort" but I can change gears in mine as fast as he can and I don't miss gears. I certainly do remember how sloppy gearshifts were in earlier cars and figured that Dodge apparently got around to making it better beginning in 2016.

So, I always read with interest the posts about how much better the clutch and gearshift works after the various mods and wonder why mine's different.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The barton has a lot stiffer bushings and does take some force to manhandle. But under throttle you can definitely notice the improvement. Ive put about 3k miles on my barton an it has loosened up noticeably

·
Registered
6 Posts
Skip shift Eliminator is a must.... The most annoying thing is shifting into 2nd and it directs you to 4th.....

Installed my barton last week, it was easy job, maybe an hour of work and makes huge difference in my shifts. I feel like I shift more smoothly.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
+1 for the barton. I wouldn't mess with the valve. I still have mine and it's not an issue on the street or the track.
I have heard it can cause jerky engagement when removed, but nothing about delaying clutch disengagement when installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts