Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think service advisors are paid by how many times they can say "that will void your warranty" ! it really is a 15 minute job if you have a floor jack, i have installed this on 4 of my own vehicles.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Thats odd... The dealership I bought my IE 392 actually INSTALLED my skip shift device! without saying anything about warranty Void!! Shhh! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Just install it yourself and don't say anything. It plugs right in.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
You must remember that if you change anything on your car and something goes wrong, you are leaving it up to the discretion of the dealership to decide if your car will be covered by their warranty. If it is in their opinion that the changes you make contributed to the failure of the part, they can refuse to cover that part under service, had will do so. If you do not believe me just ask the dealership to remove a trouble code for free!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Except--assuming I understand correctly the way the thing works-- the skip-shift eliminator has absolutely zero effect on the mechanicals of the car. It doesn't change any parameter in the computer, affect the fuel curve, which could lead to premature engine failure, or allow more air intake volume, etc. It simply CANNOT be the cause of any mechanical problems with the car, except perhaps if it fails.

In fact, one can argue that it actually protects the car by making it function properly, by eliminating a computer induced shifting error. :bigthumb: All it does is allow the manual transmission to be shifted normally, like it should be. It also protects the car from collision damage that could result from being forced to shift into too high a gear when you least expect and can least afford it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So without this eliminator, will the car ever use all the gears?

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,338 Posts
It won't void the warranty - that's the "standard" line you'll get from a dealer for any non OEM parts or mods.

The burden of proof would be on Chrysler to establish any mechanical failures resulted from the non-OEM part. A skip shift eliminator won't be the cause of any such issues.

Others go on about driving with more throttle to get around the skip-shift from operating, but that's inconvenient: and I don't need to see how to get into poor in-town MPG or practically driving up into another car's tailpipe to avoid skip shift events.

Its possible to drive in a manner to avoid skip-shift, but what a hassle.
(In my area, people drive like the water supply has been spiked with Valium or something...or they're high on something and they mooove slooowly) Add to the mix that they drive Subaru (non hi-po models) and Priuses and you'll get the idea.

I want to drive the car on my own terms and use whatever gear when I need it.

My initial drive home (taking delivery) underscored that skip-shift catches you off guard when driving in town or pulling out from a parking lot/side street into traffic.
Going from 1st > 4th really kills acceleration when you're going under 25 MPH and it sucks.

The SSE dongle got installed the next day (with cold exhaust) when I had all of 11 miles on it. I occaisionally see the "Shift 1 > 4" message in the speedo display, but I don't have to worry about being surprised by an unplanned forced shift into 4th gear...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
(In my area, people drive like the water supply has been spiked with Valium or something...or they're high on something and they mooove slooowly) Add to the mix that they drive Subaru (non hi-po models) and Priuses and you'll get the idea.
Yeah and don't forget that they are all in the left hand lane. :confused:
I have always found that in/near Portland the far right lane was the fastest..............you bunch of backwards tree huggers :armed:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts