Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 rt 6 speed no mods have tried at various rpms shifting but never happens bought new from steve whites is it possible dealer may have eliminated the skip shift

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
any known accidents or ingurys to date? what is the purpose of dodge installing it
It helps bump up the EPA city cycle figures and on the 5.7s, get around Gas Guzzler Tax.

GM first implemented skip-shift in the mid 90s, so its been around a while.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get the Skip Shift Eliminator, it is like 25 bucks and takes a minute to install. I had mine before I even picked up the car. Amazon has them from SLP.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
It helps bump up the EPA city cycle figures and on the 5.7s, get around Gas Guzzler Tax.

GM first implemented skip-shift in the mid 90s, so its been around a while.
Nice, it's in my SRT and I get hosed with a $1000 tax too.

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I first got my 10 R/T I thought the transmission was screwed up. It happened during light and easy shifting. Funny thing, I never really spotted the light coming on either. The skip shift eliminator was the first item I purchased for the car.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
To the OP, it will happen to you now. I commented on a similar thread to this a month or so ago about how it never happens to me ... now I hit the damn thing all the time. I may be investing in the eliminator kit.

If you want to experience it just go very light throttle and when you get to 19-21 mph try shifting out of 1st. Put your digital speedometer display on to see exactly when you're at that 3mph range.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
You deserve it, driving a gas hog and eating up fuel others could use.
My point was why install it AND get the tax it's supposed to help us get around. As far as fuel others can use, being green and tree hugging products are just a money making machine. Plug in an electric car and ignore that the electricity is generated by coal or nuclear energy. It's just a bunch of political crap.
My car has 3000 miles in 2 years, a Prius uses more gas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know I'm going to jinx myself, but with my R/T it used to happen frequently, especially when taking left turns against traffic (!) at two particular spots on my commute. So I got the skip shift eliminator and that was the end of the near death experiences. After driving my SRT8 all year, same commute, it's never happened once. I've tried to force it to happen but couldn't. Weird.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have an auto. When this happens, what is the main issue? is it hard to get it into gear or is it just that you don't have the power of 2nd gear?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have an auto. When this happens, what is the main issue? is it hard to get it into gear or is it just that you don't have the power of 2nd gear?
At light throttle and between a narrow range of mph, I think something like between 19 and 23 mph, the skip shift locks you out of 2nd and 3rd gear forcing you to go directly to 4th. The problem is that it's always a surprise and when it happens, you are expecting to accellerate at a certain rate only to fumble with the shifter, realize what's going on and end up at a much slower rate of accelleration. This situation creates an unsafe condition when in a pack of traffic. I found that you will finally get 2nd gear after about a second or so or the time it takes to try to slam it into 2nd three times.

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
This only is on the 6-speed manuals - the automatics shift through their entire range - no skip-shift on the 'auto trans.

·
Registered
303 Posts
13 SRT CORE- 1 yr old with 5000 miles. From a stop i usually shift 1-2-4-5 around the city. I really wanted to experience what everyone was talking about , got tired of waiting. "Forget about it , stop thinking about it"

·
Registered
639 Posts
My point was why install it AND get the tax it's supposed to help us get around. As far as fuel others can use, being green and tree hugging products are just a money making machine. Plug in an electric car and ignore that the electricity is generated by coal or nuclear energy. It's just a bunch of political crap.
My car has 3000 miles in 2 years, a Prius uses more gas.
I just had to do that for fun. I figured you would come back and say, what the he** does a 69 SIX PACK ROADRUNNER get?!! To answer the question: Eight MPG on a good day, and three if you are into the outboards.:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
At light throttle and between a narrow range of mph, I think something like between 19 and 23 mph, the skip shift locks you out of 2nd and 3rd gear forcing you to go directly to 4th. The problem is that it's always a surprise and when it happens, you are expecting to accellerate at a certain rate only to fumble with the shifter, realize what's going on and end up at a much slower rate of accelleration. This situation creates an unsafe condition when in a pack of traffic. I found that you will finally get 2nd gear after about a second or so or the time it takes to try to slam it into 2nd three times.
What happens if you start out in 2nd when you're driving light? I'm surprised that they don't get sued. That sounds terrible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts