Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone actually do this? I’ve been goofing around with going 1-3-5-6 on days I can’t enjoy my car cause it’s raining or there’s just too many people around. Anyone actually practice this regularly to save fuel and does it even work?

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Did it all the time when I had my M6 and works great for just for crusing around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost never do it. And I always hit the sport button. Because it just sounds so good. But in the rain I drive like a responsible adult

·
Registered
407 Posts
Been doing it for 25 years , up until
I bought my a8 charger. It’s just easier for laid back cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've done it at times in just about anything I drove with a manual, except my old vans with 3sp manual, and 4sp with 4th being O/D. You couldn't skip in those and expect to get anywhere. Most recently in the Crossfire I had, I would skip 1st altogether every now and then, it was quite low, and really only used for uphill starts.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Does anyone actually do this? I’ve been goofing around with going 1-3-5-6 on days I can’t enjoy my car cause it’s raining or there’s just too many people around. Anyone actually practice this regularly to save fuel and does it even work?
In marginal traction conditions the recommendation is to drive in a higher gear than usual. This provides a bit of extra margin against losing control of the car due to too much throttle.

So skip shifting accomplishes this rather than visiting each gear but short shifting.

With my previous manual transmission equipped cars, and with my current manual transmission equipped car, my Mini JCW, I don't have a hard coded skip shift routine. Also, while the dash does provide a "hint" for when and to what gear to shift to I really pay it no mind.

While I always start out in 1st gear -- 2nd gear starts are just asking for a premature clutch job -- and shift to 2nd when it comes time to shift from 2nd I often skip right to 4th gear and then if the speed limit and traffic permit it shift to 6th gear. The car is rather light (2800lbs) and has 228hp and 236 ft. lbs. of torque and a goodly amount of torque right off idle so even in 6th gear the engine is very tractable provided engine RPMs are around 1500 or so. The transmission has a down shift rev matching feature so if I need to downshift I can do so very very quickly.

I have not done any mileage tests but I suspect the skip shift saves some gasoline.

This is based on a technique to maximize fuel economy with a manual transmission -- automatics accomplish this via their shift maps -- is to get the transmission in the highest gear possible as soon as possible.

This results in the engine operating at a rather low engine RPM but at a rather high load which means the throttle butterfly valve is open more than it would be otherwise. This more open butterfly valve reduces pumping losses and the engine cylinder filling is very good and the engine is operating at peak efficiency. If one has a real time MPG display he can observe this.

(The pumping loss from the butterfly valve is a major issue. One reason why my JCW engine has done away with the butterfly valve as the primary means of controlling engine output. (There's a butterfly valve but it serves as a back up.) The amount of air allowed into the cylinders is controlled by the amount of intake valve lift. There is still pumping loss associated with this but it still is much less with the butterfly valve out of the picture.)

A downside is if any acceleration is required while the engine may be able to respond in an adequate fashion -- provided the acceleration required is not that much -- the MPG reading drops quite a bit.

But if traffic conditions permit it operating the engine in this fashion can deliver some impressive MPG numbers.

By skip (or short) shifting one gets the transmission into the highest gear sooner which gets the engine operating most efficiently. This can only help reduce fuel consumption.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I shift 1-3-5 sometimes on my '09 when I'm driving around town. Heh, I thought I was the only one who did this. Great minds think alike I guess. I call it top shifting since I'm just using the top of the shift pattern.

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is a common practice that everyone with a manual does once you have experience with a manual.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
1-3 is a hell of a lot better then the factory computer trying to slip me into 4th at 20mph smh
My 2001 Camaro Z28 had that God awful 1 to 4 skip shift feature. I quickly adapted a driving technique that saw it very seldom activated: When I occasionally didn't follow the technique for some reason or another. Never sought a more permanent solution as I really didn't like the car and sold it just 4 months after I bought it sold it right after I bought a new Boxster.

My 2006 Pontiac GTO also came with the skip shift feature. But shortly after I bought the GTO I bought some Predator tool and used it to disable the skip shift and that was that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
one day while bored, I read the drivers manual for my 2015 SP and it said to save on fuel 1-4-6 is the best option there is. I tried it for a week and when I went to full up I had 390 miles on the dash, at the time the most I got on a full tank was 275 so yes it work and I continue to drive like that to this day

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do 1-3 all the time. I don't do it to save fuel though. 2nd gear is mostly useless.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
With a stock 5.7 the factory skip shift setting lugs the motor big time. My commute is 100% city driving (top speed of 45mph) and I almost always go 1-3-5. If I don't anticipate having to get on the throttle anytime soon and I am doing +45mph I throw it in 6th. This is not a problem in Illinois since we barely have any steep hills...just flat (but pot hole ridden) roads.

BTW in 6th at 1000rpm the speed is ~43mph.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Skip-Shift is extremely dangerous especially when starting e.g., from a cold at a traffic light and the speed is going approximately 19-23 mph. In the event you need to get out of someone's way, there is absolutely no torque in 4th gear and the TREMEC six-speed does not permit the driver to shift into 2nd or 3rd gear without double-clutching.

My recommendation is to have the MOPAR/TREMEC skip-shit eliminator installed as there are no savings when it comes to OOP gas. It’s also believed the 1---->>>> to 4 skip-ship contributes to unnecessary clutch wear and as time and mileage accumulates, 1st and 2nd gear do not shift seamlessly and there is the horrible crushing/crunching sound of your gears disintegrating. I've read on the forum that the incorrect grease was used by TREMEC when they were being manufactured for shipment to Dodge/Chrysler.

Additionally, in order to service the clutch and/or the TREMEC six-speed, the transmission has to be dropped and all the brake fluid drained and replaced. Clutch service should occur during your recommended 35,000/70,000 et seq. brake replacements, i.e. MOPAR rotors and pads all around for maximum braking performance.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dodge+challenger+skip+shift+eliminator&hvadid=77859218693550&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_2t01m7c6ci_b

Regards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Skip-Shift is extremely dangerous especially when starting e.g., from a cold at a traffic light and the speed is going approximately 19-23 mph. In the event you need to get out of someone's way, there is absolutely no torque in 4th gear and the TREMEC six-speed does not permit the driver to shift into 2nd or 3rd gear without double-clutching.

My recommendation is to have the MOPAR/TREMEC skip-shit eliminator installed as there are no savings when it comes to OOP gas. It’s also believed the 1---->>>> to 4 skip-ship contributes to unnecessary clutch wear and as time and mileage accumulates, 1st and 2nd gear do not shift seamlessly and there is the horrible crushing/crunching sound of your gears disintegrating. I've read on the forum that the incorrect grease was used by TREMEC when they were being manufactured for shipment to Dodge/Chrysler.

Additionally, in order to service the clutch and/or the TREMEC six-speed, the transmission has to be dropped and all the brake fluid drained and replaced. Clutch service should occur during your recommended 35,000/70,000 et seq. brake replacements, i.e. MOPAR rotors and pads all around for maximum braking performance.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dodge+challenger+skip+shift+eliminator&hvadid=77859218693550&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_2t01m7c6ci_b

Regards.
What model year are you referring to? As I go 1-4 and go into 3rd (if need be) with no problem as I’ve never double clutched a day in my life.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I did not know the skip shift operation changed...it's operation essentially has been the same throughout the years (maybe 1 to 2 MPH difference in vehicle speed)...on my 2015 I was locked out of 2nd and 3rd whenever it kicked in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
SRT-71 B5BlueBird
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing