Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got my first Challenger, a 2018 SXT+ :) For some reason, the dealers in the state did not have the Drivers Convenience AND Blacktop + Super TracPack together, so I am stuck with halogen headlight now (which was the only thing I cared for in the package) :)

I would like to upgrade the headlights, but I do not want to go for an HID kit, since it is more likely to mess up the warranty and is more intrusive considering the housing modifications.
So looking into an LED kit instead (9012 SL1 LED and Canbus anti-flicker module), it should be easier to install and less likely to cause warranty issues in my understanding.

That said, I have a couple of questions:
1. Has anyone here installed these? Will the bulbs and the canbus modules fit into the housing without modifications?
2. For some reason, Diode Dynamics website does not show these bulbs when filtering the products by 2017 or 2018 Challenger, although it is a 9012, just wondering if this is a website quirk.

Thanks,
Lev

·
Registered
953 Posts
Use these and be done with it. The lenses and reflectors in a halogen housing will not give correct beam focus with any LED or HID kit. You will just be splattering light all over the place.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendors
1,262 Posts
The SL1 was designed to perform well with the optics of the factory housing they are installed in. You won't see as dramatic an improvement in projector style housings. Projectors are designed to gather/collect output and redirect it. For that reason, we still typically recommend HID for the most overall lumen output in a projector-setup. The SL1 is still an easy solution that still provides an improvement, it's just not as drastic as HID in those projector housings.

HID in a reflector-style housing will not utilize the optics well and create significantly more glare.

With that being said, factory-reflector style housings are where the SL1 really shines. We are seeing anywhere from 30-40%+ increases in usable hotspot lux, all while maintaining an output pattern that closely mimics the factory incandescent bulbs.

The 2015+ Challenger will require Anti-Flicker modules, which should fit inside with the dust cap installed correctly.
@OregonScat, while I understand why previous products may elicit that type of response, I assure you the SL1s are not some re-branded, off-the shelf imported product like everything else out there. Our engineers have dedicated the past two years developing this product, and we were recently awarded a patent for it's unique design. They will utilize the OEM housing's optics correctly and maintain the OEM output pattern.

We will be releasing considerably more information in the coming weeks explaining all of the photometric testing, optical design work, engineering, and manufacturing that went into this product.

If you would like more information, please feel free to give us a call anytime Monday-Friday 9am-5pm CST: (314) 205-3033

Not the greatest picture, but here's a direct comparison in an employee's 2016 Charger with the SL1 installed:

Nick C.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,803 Posts
There is no Challenger on the model drop down for these. At least for 2016

A Guy

·
Supporting Vendors
1,262 Posts
There is no Challenger on the model drop down for these. At least for 2016

A Guy
Hello @A Guy,

You are correct, we are in the process of updating the site listings. Our team still needs to get the SL1 added to the non-HID equipped Challenger applications.

Thank you for pointing that out!
Nick C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts