Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just had a rather odd/uncomfortable experience parking on a hill with my new IE 392.

Pulled into a rather steep driveway, stopped the car, turned the engine off, left the car in first gear and put on the emergency break.

Soon as I released the break the car started sliding backward down the driveway little by little, if I applied the break it stopped but as soon as I release it started happening again.

Sooo I figure bad emergency break and go to move the car, so I put the break on and release the emergency break about to start the car and it starts sliding down the hill!!

When I started the car the power breaks kicked in and the car stopped...

WTH!!!
Thoughts??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Power brakes need vacuum to function, otherwise the pedal pressure you need is akin to the leg strength of an NFL lineman. Emergency brakes are a joke. Just ry using it to stop and see just how long it takes. Most cars are like that. As for the steep driveway, put it into 5th or 6th gear.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Were you facing up or down the hill. I've been told if you are facing up a hill, leave the car in reverse. If pointing down, you leave it 1st. or viceversa....

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Did the car? Go rump rump rump like the motor was turning. With compression bumps??

If not, your clutch was slipping.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
You said "sliding". To me that means the rear tires were not turning and they were sliding on the road surface. Is that what you really meant?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right I should have said slipping or rolling instead of sliding :)

Just checked again and the emergency break alone doesn't stop the car at all.

If it's in gear without the emergency break you feel it slip and then catch again and it rolls backward, albeit slower then just the Emergency Break on.

In 5th it seems to slip more slowly but slip none the less!!

Given that I only have 1.3k miles on the car I certainly didn't expect this!!

Isn't the point of the emergency break to stop the car from moving if it's parked and the clutch/parking break breaks??

Gah.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Yes the parking brake should hold the car by itself on any drivable grade.

Looks like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And what about leaving the car in gear? Shouldn't that also keep the car from moving when parked?

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
And what about leaving the car in gear? Shouldn't that also keep the car from moving when parked?
If you're on a steep driveway, hill, incline the transmission in gear will force the engine to turn and slowly creep down the grade.

The leakdown rate of compression from an engine moving ever so slightly won't hold a steeper grade. Always good to use both parking brake and put tranny in gear.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Also turn the front wheels towards the curb, never leave them straight on a hill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*Chuckle*
yeah, I always turn my wheels and both leave my car in gear and apply the emergency break, however, currently the emergency break won't stop the car and as the previous poster said, it appears that on a severe incline the gears will slowly move if in gear.

If I'd left my car there with the wheels turned it would have ended up in the neighbor's fence!!

I'll be bringing it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Were you facing up or down the hill. I've been told if you are facing up a hill, leave the car in reverse. If pointing down, you leave it 1st.
I was told to the exact opposite. Reverse when you're car is downhill and forward/first when its uphill. That way if the parking brake fails the transmission will be in a gear that is opposite of the slope. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
THAT MUST BE SOME HILL.
Any ways - new car. Your Park-Brake shoes have not yet seated to the drums inside the rear rotor "hats". The Park Brakes are not designed to hold from going back ward.
Put it in First and set the Parking Brake. She should hold. Unless you are on the side of a mountain.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I was told to the exact opposite. Reverse when you're car is downhill and forward/first when its uphill. That way if the parking brake fails the transmission will be in a gear that is opposite of the slope. :dunno:
ya, maybe thats what they said... I probably got it backwards. i just always leave my car in first or reverse. Reverse has a steeper gear so it holds better...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts