Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being my first HEMI I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has had the same experience as me, or whether this is normal.

Basically, 392 IE, runs great, but when sat at idle there is usually a small but noticeable judder. Thoughts anyone? Does this need to be checked out? Is this just because the aircon compressor could be running (sorry guys up north, it's 70s here, no snow)?

Also, I get a distinct change in engine sound when it switches to 4 cylinders. It sounds like its struggling to me, not a pleasant sound to my ears. Wish it could be turned off at will (anyone out there from Dodge listening, here's a tip for next year :) Switch offable MDS). On four cylinders the exhaust sound seems a little louder and definitely feels like its struggling at 55mph (approx. 16-1900 rpm). Same for you guys?

:scratchhead::scratchhead:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I can feel a slight "judder" when the engine is cold. I would tell the service man at your Dodge dealer to check it out when you do your first oil change. I too don't have to see the ECO light to know its gone to 4 cylinders. I can feel the difference. Not really worried about it, just hope it helps some with the MPG's. I probably would shut it off if I could.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. My seems to have it all the time, even when warm. I'm wondering whether I have a slight inbalance in the engine or the timing is very slightly out. I'll see what its like after 1000miles.

As for the MDS, it should definitely have an on/off switch. But boy does it increase the mpg. Sits at 25 mpg on the highway at 65.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yes they are a little rough when at idle. Warm or cold.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Being my first HEMI I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has had the same experience as me, or whether this is normal.

Basically, 392 IE, runs great, but when sat at idle there is usually a small but noticeable judder. Thoughts anyone? Does this need to be checked out? Is this just because the aircon compressor could be running (sorry guys up north, it's 70s here, no snow)?

Also, I get a distinct change in engine sound when it switches to 4 cylinders. It sounds like its struggling to me, not a pleasant sound to my ears. Wish it could be turned off at will (anyone out there from Dodge listening, here's a tip for next year :) Switch offable MDS). On four cylinders the exhaust sound seems a little louder and definitely feels like its struggling at 55mph (approx. 16-1900 rpm). Same for you guys?

:scratchhead::scratchhead:
Think it's rough now, wait till that MDS creates uneven cylinder wear! I would not use it if I were you!
BTW, what you're talking about is normal, if it had a miss, the engine light would be on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would say you have the same "judder" that I do and it is not normal. I had my car in for this and they couldn't figure out what it was. Supposedly Dodge is looking into it.

I also have a 392. After the car warms up, when I'm sitting at a stop light idling, I can feel the car "judder" and hear a strange noise that seems to be coming from underneath the engine area. The judder can be felt in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal when depressed.

Again, this happens only after the car is warm and while at idle but it's very odd. Watch your engine oil pressure in the EVIC. The judder starts to happen around 30 psi and gets worse from there.

My advice and hope would be that you take it to the dealer. The more people that bring this issue up, the sooner they will find a solution.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yes they are a little rough when at idle. Warm or cold.
My 06 Charger SRT8 does this. I kind of feel like the car is shaking. Like someone is moving around, but there's nobody there (ghosts??) :D

I think it's normal. Something to do with the harmonics of the cams and crank...

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
mine shakes a bit at idle hot or cold

the mds is louder when it kicks in...i can hear it more than i can feel it...i use Autostick most of time, so unless im on the freeway its turned off by the Autostick....when i hit the on ramp i take it out of Autostick

i think it sounds tougher in MDS mode

1 - 9 of 9 Posts