Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
5,134 Posts
The DA calculator will assume you're taking a blown car at sea level and bring it higher up, where you would noticeably lose boost. If his car is putting out 12psi, it's the same 12psi as my car would put out at 330'. If you take his car and bring it to sea level, he'll likely be making 17psi.

When Boatman got his 6psi Magnacharger, he was not pushing 6psi at all due to his location (Colorado). He got a smaller pulley, brought boost back up, and is making more whp than I am at altitude.

One would assume Mulisha's dyno was done at 3000', and it indicates 632whp.

I'm not hating and bashing -- but there is a huge disconnect between the posted hp number and the track time. The shifts are decently fast, so I'm guessing everything is being lost in the first 330.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have been looking into this problem and i still think the factory bushings are to soft and are flexing way to much plus the thin side wall 20" tire's are to stiff, and causing the whole rear assy to move around and bind then let go. for simplisity i think that changing all the rear bushings to black poly, not just the cradle, should stop a lot of the movement and a set of 16 or 17 rims and 28 x 9 tires for the track should make a big improvment. with the more flexable side walls. not to mention a better rubber compound in the tires.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
After changing the bushings and still experiencing the hop, consider then the money you just threw away which could have gone towards the solution. We don't hawk the Hop-Not just because Mike is a nice guy. Give the man a call. If you're still not convinced then by all means keep throwing good money after bad.

Jack

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Yep, go for the HopNot!

And Jay6spdRT, what DA calculator are you using? Dragtimes corrected his times to a 12.6 at 3000'

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Mulisha,

Best of luck to you, man. I'm sure you'll get there. I expect the figures you got were based on HHP's dyno. Like most builds I see going North and West, they're done at the speed shop and then adj's are driven by the owner and if you're lucky some long distance tuning via e-mail. Give 'em hell...

HemiSam

·
Registered
1 Posts
The launch verys depending on the track and how much prep they do, the launch RPM may be as low as 1500 - 1800 Rpm with Mr. Squigle turned on, now i try and do the key trick, but they are real slow in staging and have to turn the car off. so kinda started not woring about doing that just the ESP button. i can launch without wheel hop, but really loading the rear end up. i want to at least spin the tires a couple of feet to save parts but the wheel hop is brutal... Energy susp is releasing new poly in the first of the year so waiting to see what they have coming out the pedder guys are way over priced for my taste. but we will see.
Waiting for better weather and will keep adujsting. predator on way so will see then. :bigthumb:
You could experiment with bushings - if it were me I'd spend money for the Hop-Not kit - I've read many CT members report it eliminates or virtually eliminates the wheel hop. Check the member forum here for more info. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok Havent Gone to the Track or made any changes in a while so here is what i did a the last outing to the track, it was humid and Hot around 89drg at 11:00pm track was sticky, Tail Wind. Reprogrammed to diablo 93 octain Cai Tune and Exxon super and Pro Blend octain booster, I Put on a set of hooser 275/40 X 17 Dot Tires at 19psi Did small burnout had good traction, Launched at around 2200 Rpm.
As per previous discussions the softer side walls eliminated all the Wheel Hop (Whoo hoo) Car launched pretty good. No Hop, Turned the tires a couple rotations at launch, just what i wanted it to do. ( Don't want to break axles) just tire chirps at 2nd and 3rd pulled much Harder in 4th plus with the lower gear ratio of the smaller tires made a big difference. car is a track pack car with 3.92 gears. felt more like 4.10 - 4.30 much better. got to use more RPM in 4th shifting at 6200 dosent seem to pull any more above that, with the stock cam, Still had more Rpm left in 4th gear could use a lower gear but better than stock, so will keep hunting for improvments. will post any updates as i go along...

Heres the Time Slip.

Reaction Time .117
60' 2.195 Can't Get under 2.000 Yet.
330' 6.009
1/8 Mi ET 9.074
Mph 80.81
1/4 Mi ET 13.917
MPH 102.37

Dropped about 4 tenths overall from best runs with the tall 20" GoodYear F1 tires.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went to the track for the 1st time and am very happy with the results.

Of 5 runs, my best run was:
13.88 @ 102.48 with a DA of 2013

Modified numbers are:
13.558 @ 104.968 MPH

I'm running an Non-STP RT Classic 6 speed that is 100% bones stock except for the Blastin' Bob's Glass packs instead of the resonators. That was on the stock Firehawks, 3200 miles on the car.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=851013

Detailed Data:

Best run - made up for some time by not chirping into 3rd. Had a hard shift that lurched the car forward.
60 - 2.21
330 - 6.03
1/8 - 9.07 @ 81.94
1000 - 11.68 @ 93.39
1/4 - 13.88 @ 102.48

Best launch - car was heat soaked bad, so I'm wondering if that is why I lost time at the end. Maybe because I chirped them into 3rd as well.

60 - 2.16
330 - 5.95
1/8 9.03 @ 80.92
1000 - 11.69 @ 91.06
1/4 - 13.95 @ 100.21

**** I disagree with everyone when they say to keep the pedal floored while shifting. The car seems to go into granny mode when it hits the limiter, and not be as responsive. I just move my foot up and down as fast as I can (not 100% off the throttle) and it seems to feel faster.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. In decent weather, I ran [email protected] in showroom trim. I know that, in better weather, 13.50s is not out of the question. I think the 6SPD pure stock record is 13.50 something?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i was in the same boat as you the first time i wen to the track with my bone stock r/t 6 speed. basically the same time slip you posted. my car hopped like crazy too so i went and ordered the hopnot kit stage 2. took it out to the smoothest road i could find and let 3k-4k launchs let loose! silky smooth! only time i see any hop is if i launch too low and jam the pedal. seems like the kit allows you to launch the car higher. i still have to take it back to the track with the kit on.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Well the car look great shifts good, but all the stupid Performance limitations Dodge put in the cars is increadable... ( Don't get me started on that subject )
I can tell you that after driving the car down the strip quite a few times. that it gets a little faster, and/or driver get's better over time.
I launch as hard as i can and try to keep the wheel hop bunny under control ( don't want to bust axles etc... ) this is the best run i have gotten off.
The car is a 2010 Challenger R/T 6sp 5.7 Track pack car 3.92 gears. Launch at 2000 / 2200 RPM.

60' ---- 2.286
330'---- 6.154
1/8----- 9.264
MPH---- 79.84
1/4----- 14.198
MPH---- 100.00
whoo hooo Finally broke 100 wow
the car is stock other than a K&N CAI and 190drg thermo Stat
running on 20" GoodYear Supercar tires.
Real close to sea level here. below sea level on a good night.

What are the other semi-stock Challenger's running in here?
Please Post ET's for Comparison,
My mechanically bone stock 6sp Mopar'10 is in the same range as you (only changed spoiler & tips)

Here are 2 back to back runs 15min apart from Maple Grove last Friday night.

R/T ----- .116 --------R/T ---- -.080
60' .---- 2.208 --------60' ----- 2.241
330' ---- 6.098--------330'----- 6.089
1/8 ----- 9.219--------1/8 ----- 9.194
MPH ---- 79.41 -------MPH ----- 80.35
1000 ----11.922------1000----- 11.883
1/4----- 14.183 -------1/4----- 14.138
MPH ----- 99.69 ------MPH ----- 99.94

If I try to launch any harder, the F1's want to hop into the back seat.
But only at the track... on the street they just spin with no hop at all.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
hmmmm i launch at 35 to 4000 and slip the clutch until im planted and the car just picks up and goes. you cant just dump the clutch. and trying to start off low and then punching it doesnt let the big ass heavy car get up and run- it bogs somewhat until you get near its torque peak

·
Registered
46 Posts
hmmmm i launch at 35 to 4000 and slip the clutch until im planted and the car just picks up and goes. you cant just dump the clutch. and trying to start off low and then punching it doesnt let the big ass heavy car get up and run- it bogs somewhat until you get near its torque peak
Same here...
After reading all the previous posts, I was starting to think nobody knew how to use the clutch to our advantage, besides me.
No matter what RPM you try it at, you cant just dump the clutch in a "stock" car and expect to get a good launch. The car will more then likely do one of three things... spin the tires, hop like crazy, or fall on its face. Ive been driving/racing manual cars for over 16 years now, and all of my best times came from launching around 3-4k and slipping the clutch (not dumping it) while mashing the gas the rest of the way to the floor.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I haven't seen a six speed that could outshift the auto stick, yet. I've beaten two Rt's and one 2011 392,.That tremec is as strong as they come, on a par with the Muncie (rock crusher)four speed that older Z28's had.Unlike my 97 Cobra who'd lose second gear, if you thought about speed shifting it.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
what tires you running,i run 275 drs,i just pop the clutch at 4k and shift at 62k.no problems all stock drivetrain..iv been 11.89 at 120 with a 1.88 60ft,spun alittle.
john
Yep, my R/T hopped readily on my stock Michelin Pilots if I didn't slip the clutch at 3k. I just got M&H 275-50-17 Drag radials, and got to try em at the track Friday night. No hop at all on 8 runs and all different RPMs at launch. even at 4200-4300 rpm launches. Pretty consistent 60' times - ranging from 1.9 to 2.1. I wonder if it's the extra sidewall that makes most of the difference? I know now the car really snaps my head back which it never did before. I may switch to 17s all around for the street if it's just the extra sidewall.

It's like driving a different car with the drag radials, that I will say.

·
Registered
451 Posts
my personal best is 13.27 @ 105 with a hopnot kit and drag radials. Prior to that is was high 13's. This is with a 2500-3000 launch and ESP button pressed.

Prior to installing/using the hopnot kit and drag radials my best times (13.6 @ 104) came launching with ESP on, while having my finger hovering over the button and then pressing it quickly right after luanch and before the 1-2 shift.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well the car look great shifts good, but all the stupid Performance limitations Dodge put in the cars is increadable... ( Don't get me started on that subject )
I can tell you that after driving the car down the strip quite a few times. that it gets a little faster, and/or driver get's better over time.
I launch as hard as i can and try to keep the wheel hop bunny under control ( don't want to bust axles etc... ) this is the best run i have gotten off.
The car is a 2010 Challenger R/T 6sp 5.7 Track pack car 3.92 gears. Launch at 2000 / 2200 RPM.

60' ---- 2.286
330'---- 6.154
1/8----- 9.264
MPH---- 79.84
1/4----- 14.198
MPH---- 100.00
whoo hooo Finally broke 100 wow
the car is stock other than a K&N CAI and 190drg thermo Stat
running on 20" GoodYear Supercar tires.
Real close to sea level here. below sea level on a good night.

What are the other semi-stock Challenger's running in here?
Please Post ET's for Comparison, Now on to the questions.

1st Question.
Has anyone changed to poly bushings in the rear and elimated the HOP?????? The auto Challengers just keep pulling away at starting line.
not to mention the camaros and Stangs.

2nd Question.
What is the smallest rear rim that will fit ? I do not think a 15 will fit but will a 16- 17 rim clear the rear calipers??? Dont have extra rims to check. :scratchhead: And the metric pattern dosen't help, what happened to 5 on 4 1/2 B.C.
Thinking the extra sidewall thickness will help dampin the rebound that the 20" tires are making on the suspension.

Thanks.
What was your DA? My best time is a 14.1 at 99 but my DA corrected time is 13.6.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts