Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, guys - I love the car but I'm gettin' mighty pissed off.

Been to the dealer twice in 4 with not reaching operating temp and getting a check engine light.

First time: dealer replaced thermostat. Still never got all the way to 12 o'clock on the temp gauge.

Second time: three weeks later, check engine light. Dealer says "air trapped in system." Left the dealer, drove almost 15 miles home and it still never got to full temp.

Third time: Today.On the way to work. 53 degrees outside, 12 miles of freeway driving...temp gauge at halfway between "1/4 and straight up." Check engine light. Called dealer and threatened lemon law.

Tired of spending days waiting at the dealer or bugging my wife for pick-up and drop-off. I've read the threads where guys recommend driving in auto-stick to keep it out of MDS...but that shouldn't be needed. Could it be the sender?

Really pissed.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I know I live down here and it's not the same temp wise but I would think that once the engine warms up it should run about the same. My EVIC shows that my engine runs about 208 and I thought that was to hot but so far no problem.

·
Registered
688 Posts
They are supposed to run "hot" for emissions purposes. I put in a 180* stat and get this code frequently in cold weather, but on a stock setup, something is wrong for sure!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This really should be fairly simple. If the vehicle is unmodified, meaning no tune or t-stat change, tech should check DTC. If gauge reads low and fault for thermostat performance is present, replace it and retest. If condition persists, inspect temperature sensor connector, make sure it has proper connection. If this is verified, start a STAR online case and seek tech line assistance. There do not appear to be any TSB's or tech info available online. There is an outside chance there could be a problem with the gauge itself, but that would be very unusual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, Pittbill.

Bone stock 2010 R/T. That's what is so aggravating: why didn't the techs do the prescribed troubleshooting, and find the actual source of the problem?

It's either the t-stat or the sensor, or maybe the pcm. But the gauge also shows it's running cool. Are they dealing with a run of defective t-stats? WTF?

Three times to the dealer with the same problem. I laid it on the service advisor on the phone, firmly but politely, that I'm not going to stand for this. CA has good lemon laws, and I'll throw the keys at the manager if this isn't fixed this time. I like the car, but I can't put up with this crap. I've got other things in life to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Pittbill.

Bone stock 2010 R/T. That's what is so aggravating: why didn't the techs do the prescribed troubleshooting, and find the actual source of the problem?

It's either the t-stat or the sensor, or maybe the pcm. But the gauge also shows it's running cool. Are they dealing with a run of defective t-stats? WTF?

Three times to the dealer with the same problem. I laid it on the service advisor on the phone, firmly but politely, that I'm not going to stand for this. CA has good lemon laws, and I'll throw the keys at the manager if this isn't fixed this time. I like the car, but I can't put up with this crap. I've got other things in life to deal with.

Did you ever get a resolution on this?? I'm having the same problem with a Challenger SE. "Check engine" light at 380 miles, with thermostat stuck open. Replaced thermostat at 1200 miles (they had to order the part and I drive A LOT). The check engine light came back on two days after replacement, and it was showing errors for thermostat sensor... It was replaced, then the next morning the check engine light came on AGAIN while the service manager was taking it on a test drive before returning it to me and the new thermostat they had just replaced four days prior was throwing error codes for being stuck open (again). I just picked it back up today, and on the way home the temp guage dropped down to 2 lines above the "C" and stayed there. No check engine light yet, but it's not looking promising...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you ever get a resolution on this?? I'm having the same problem with a Challenger SE. "Check engine" light at 380 miles, with thermostat stuck open. Replaced thermostat at 1200 miles (they had to order the part and I drive A LOT). The check engine light came back on two days after replacement, and it was showing errors for thermostat sensor... It was replaced, then the next morning the check engine light came on AGAIN while the service manager was taking it on a test drive before returning it to me and the new thermostat they had just replaced four days prior was throwing error codes for being stuck open (again). I just picked it back up today, and on the way home the temp guage dropped down to 2 lines above the "C" and stayed there. No check engine light yet, but it's not looking promising...
not really. I didn't have the time or patience to take it right in after the thrid time, and after a few days of relatively warm weather, the CEL went out. Once we get another cool spell, it'll happen again, and I'll take it in.

Very frustrating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts